Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #21

Originally Posted by MimsTX View Post
Originally Posted by finch View Post
Hermione was, after all, the one who managed to make perfect polyjuice potion in only her second year.
lol, I'm so glad I'm not the only one around here that would know stuff like that...
I am a total HP geek. I have read all the books 5 x at least. I re-read them when I have nothing else to read, and just because I love them. I'm re-reading HP7 right now.
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. My hair hates protein, apparently.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #22

Originally Posted by onethousandcurls View Post
Annaleah, the reason finch's worked is because BB made it herself. I see that you have joined very recently, so you don't know a couple things you ought to learn:

1. Botticelli Babe is a witch, like Hermione. You see Hermione's excellent curls? That is because she used magic. BB's FSG actually contains magic, which, unfortunately, is not sold at Whole Foods.

2. Botticelli Babe also puts in her blood, sweat, and tears. Needless to say, you can't have put that in yours.

Good luck, Annaleah (and welcome!)

(Btw, definitely made all that up, so no one report me to the moderators. I am also a big fan of BB, so, in all seriousness, Annaleah, ordering from her is probably a good idea.)
1,000 curls is right

BUT in addition, Babe has tweaked this recipe to be her own and she does add some other special ingredients. Some gals are having great success with plain old FSG but hers is special

Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #23

*rofl* You guys.......

I swear - I'm NOT a witch. Not that there's anything wrong with witches!! I'm just a SAHM with lots more time than money, and since I live in the boonies and don't see hardly ANYONE unless I go out, I have no qualms about testing a new formulation every time I wash my hair. *lol* So, I learned fast what worked and what didn't.

I had a thought, too (scary, I know!). The water I use to make the Gelee comes straight from my tap, but we have numerous springs on our property, and no filtration system (never needed it! the water is oh so clear and cold!). Part of the miraculous nature of my FSG might be something as simple as the water I use and the mineral content of that water. It seems so simple, but yet it's a very large part of the equation. City water may have additives like chlorine and flouride that might offset the final result, and my well water is obviously unique in its makeup.

It may also be that my stove is a vintage 60's Lady Kenmore gas range (I LOVE my stove!), and perhaps it heats differently than other, more modern ranges do. Again, it seems small, but maybe it makes all the difference in the world!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #24

TaraVictoria's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

first off - botticelli, THANK YOU!!! I just played a bit with this little potion and finally got the amounts right, or more where they should be on my stove top I suppose and WOW! this is amazing! I've not had this kind of curl definition in AGES! this is something else!!! secondly - thank you everyone for posting too - everyone needs to try this stuff!!!!
I spiced mine with a bit of lavendar, that was all - and WOW! I can't say it enough! I'm getting out the camera tomorrow - right after I finish wowwing and writing a 15 page exam for my kiddies.....
as we say in Italian - GRAZIE MILLE!!!!!!!!!!! Lo amo!!!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
TaraVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #25

Join Date: Feb 2008

Yay TaraVictoria! I'm so happy for you! See what I mean? When it works, it REALLY works!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #26

jsocurleigh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007

I made the quick version FSG; Boil for 10 min and voila...

I used citric acid as a preservative and it's not in the fridge frankly because I'm too lazy to go down 2 flights of stairs. It's been 3 days, still smells fresh and works FABULOUSLY!

*AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*

Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #27

curlywurlygurly's Avatar

Originally Posted by MimsTX View Post
Originally Posted by finch View Post
I'm not great with harry potter trivia, guess I never jumped on that bandwagon, but my friend is...
she was playing a harry potter board game the other day and she got an answer wrong, she was so sure that she was right that her friends had to check.. and guess what? she was right! hehe... so your definitely not alone.
2 something Australian

pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
curlywurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #28

AND.. Ms. FSG aka BB...where is your recipe? I'd like to try it!
Wow - I put the basic recipe up so many times I can't remember exactly where it is now! I'll try and give you the Cliff Notes version quick before my little curly girl freaks out though:

2 c water, cool from the tap
1/4 whole flax seeds (can use dark, but I prefer golden)
UP TO 1/4 tablespoon magnesium sulfate, if your hair can handle it

Bring to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring constantly until the water becomes frothy and foamy, suspending the seeds in the water. Shut off the heat and strain immediately, add essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice, whisk well, and allow to cool before pouring into a bottle. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks, or gel can be frozen.

Of course, the one I'm selling has a few more steps than that, but this is the most basic of basics that you can find in a lot of places. Hope that helps!

Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

Last edited by BotticelliBabe; 01-22-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #29

AND.. Ms. FSG aka BB...where is your recipe? I'd like to try it!
I made BB's version and it seemed so promising after I was done drying. I had really nice curl and soooo soft, I was really impressed! But, before the end of the day it went POOOOOF. That's when I decided to leave it to the expert and put in my order with the special ingredients I don't have!! I can't wait to get it

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #30

Join Date: Aug 2005
Send a message via AIM to curlicarly

Where can you buy flax seeds anyways?
3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
Avoiding humectants and protein!
curlicarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #31

jsocurleigh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007

Hmmmmm...keeping the "special sauce" a secret...I understand make that money girl!

I like the golden ones better too... plus they're yummy!

I made some flax-oatmeal cookies the other day... delish!

thanks BB

jsocurleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #32

TaraVictoria's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

flax seeds can be purchased at your local supermarket - or Whole Foods... check the organic aisles too.....
Tara - have a curly day!!!

Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
TaraVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #33

Originally Posted by jsocurleigh View Post

I like the golden ones better too... plus they're yummy!

I made some flax-oatmeal cookies the other day... delish!

thanks BB

LOL@ Del2C... I may have to do that

@CurlyCarly, u can get them at any health food store
You know it could simply be HER WATER but I really think it's the MAGIC spells she casts on it

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #34

whatsercurl's Avatar

You guys,

She's NOT a witch - she's a fairy princess (remember the pics from the summer). I think the mag sulph is actually pixie dust that she sprinkles in.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Last edited by whatsercurl; 01-23-2009 at 09:45 AM.
whatsercurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #35

Join Date: Sep 2008

Day 4 of consistently perfect curls!!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #36

Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #37

Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
finch are you an every day washer or are you on day 4 of your original wash?
Oh Lord heck no, I'm not on day 4 of my original wash. LOL. I have never been able to get the fabled "second day hair." I'm convinced it's only something that 3b's and up get.

I rinse with water every day in the shower, co-wash about twice a week.
Houseofcurls likes this.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #38

MimsTX's Avatar

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
finch are you an every day washer or are you on day 4 of your original wash?

I rinse with water every day in the shower, co-wash about twice a week.
Nope, not true! lol, I've learned that it's possible, I just have to not be to picky and "perfectionist" on it. I usually have a bit more frizz/flyaways on 2+ day hair, but it's totally possible. You just have to find the right routine and products that give you awesome 1st day hair with GREAT hold, that doesn't weigh you down. If the hold's not there, the curls won't survive the night. if it's too heavy, the roots go flat and look gross.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
MimsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #39

Join Date: Sep 2008

She is not a witch, or a fairy princess. She's putting contraband substances (like ecstasy for your hair or something) in it. That's why she won't tell us what she's REALLY doing.

Or, you know, it's like eye of newt or something. In which case, I don't even know where to buy that.
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
onethousandcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #40

Join Date: Mar 2008

Of course that's because the best newts eyes must be collected at dawn on the day of the full moon when it forms a perfect trine with venus and the sun is in Aquarius.

Wool of bat now that's a whole 'nother story....
KookyCurl is offline   Reply With Quote