Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #601

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

^^Naturalista, may I pick your brains for a sec as well? What would you recommend for my thick but lazy waves? Medium texure, normal porosity and elasticity but extremely thick, about 4.5 in when pulled into a ponytail.

When I ordered last year around May, I got mine with agave nectar and grapeseed oil. I froze most of it in the bottle and busted it out this week. It really didn't give me any wave enhancement but did make it shiny! It seemed to work ok last summer.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #602

Naturalista's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post

None of those ingredients will. You need mag sulfate in the mix for enhancement. I'm not sure how much folks are using, but you have to be careful as it as be drying to the hair. The hempseed oil and aloe vera I add to my gel counteracts that and makes it the perfect blend. I would amp up the agave nectar as well since I know you like a good bit of hold.

HTH

Curly serf. I had to look back and I totally forgot you're doing DIY. In my own recipe, I don't use honeyquat. I do cheapie way. Honey is cheaper and covers the smoothing/shine aspect. To cover the detangling & conditioning aspect, I infuse the water used to make the FSG with marshmallow root, horsetail, and slippery elm.

Reference this thread. I think that info should be in there re: honeyquat No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

Here's a point of reference:

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 02-17-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsgp101310's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by Naturalista View Post
Originally Posted by mrsgp101310 View Post
Wow-just read through all 30 pgs about BB's wonderful FSG! I am wondering which of her products would be most beneficial for my hair-FSG, Brulee and or hair butter (or all 3!!). I have 3a curls, high porosity, course, thick hair. I sent her an email but wanted to see what you curlies thought. What additives would be good for my hair type? TIA
honeyquat, hempseed oil, agave nectar

Thanks for the rec Naturalista!!
Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10
3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Cleansing: DevaCare No Poo

Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #606

stefflynh's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

I pulled mine out of the freezer, since I've been experimenting. It's working!! I realized I needed a stronger hold gel ontop. Yay. Also I used about a pea size of LI. I generally don't like LIs, but I think that amount works well on my canopy where I tend to be frizz prone...

The FSG is really giving me major coils on dry hair as a refresher too (probably helps reactivate my hard hold gel as well)! I'm very excited. I think I will try to make it soon, so I can save the $ & experiment with different ingredients.
properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
stefflynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #607

CurlyLinZee's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009

Okay...so I'm hooked on this stuff now; it's my HG. I got to re-order...wanting to buy more in the 16oz size, and the item is not on her page at all!!

WTF????? Anyone know what's up? Her other products are there, but not the FSG..

UGH!!!

Stylers:
KCCC

Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

CurlyLinZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #608

mrsgp101310's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

I want to try her FSG so bad I emailed her about a week ago but she hasn't responded yet...
Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10

Cleansing: DevaCare No Poo
RO: CJ Smoothing,CJ BStC, CJAO
LI: CJ Smoothing, CJ BLI, CJAO
Stylers: MD CSC, CJ AF, SSCEJ, SSFHG, CJ CCCC, KCCC, CJ CIAB
mrsgp101310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #609

Join Date: Jun 2012
Default fsg: hair took hours to dry?

I made my first batch of fsg yesterday: 2 Tbs regular flax seed (not golden), 2 cups tap water, boiled, strained, beat with stick blender to try to break up thick sliminess - added two drops lavender eo, stored in fridge (it seemed like there was only a cup of gel in the end - but a lot stayed un-separatable from the seeds I threw in the compost) - and today I used it! Its a dry beautiful day around here (the type of weather that usually results in my best hair days) but my hair stayed wet-looking for hours! Hours!! Finally, I roughly ran my fingers around my hair close the scalp to and then it looked okay - but still bot as fabulous as I had expected. It is possible that I had the texture too thick? It was pretty slimy textured and I did use maybe a quarter cup on my shoulder length thick hair (which doesn't seem like too much at all really). I suspect I might have better results is it were less concentrated - can I add water to the existing batch or should I start again? What do you think?
dftkarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #610

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

This thread:

No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

has alot of information about how to make and use flax seed gel. You can post there and people should be able to help you, but be sure to include the following information:
how much you put in your hair, and how you applied it
how you made your FSG

typical proportions for making FSG are 1/4c seeds per 1c water. It sounds like you didn't use enough seeds, because you only used 2 Tb per 1c water, but you may have boiled your seeds too long, if the gel came out really thick. That can happen.
But anyway, post as much detail as you can in the thread I linked to above, and see what people say. Also, read through the thread, at least the last several pages, before you post, because you may find the answers to your questions before you post them good luck!
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #611

Join Date: Apr 2012

Anyone know what the shelf life of her FSG and MUDD is?? I'm tempted to order some of her FSG. I have some MUDD and may try different add-ins next time. I'm getting ready to return to work and won't have the time to make FSG anymore..plus I don't think I want to fool with it anymore.
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #612

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I don't know what preservatives she puts in her FSG (if any) so someone else can answer that, but any FSG, if you freeze it, can last for months. Then you can thaw out what you need and use it as you need it.

I just went back to work fulltime last month, and I still make my own FSG, I just freeze a couple of bottles and refrigerate the other two. Then a batch lasts me about 2 weeks.

For me, the time issue with using FSG is with applying the FSG (and then a clear gel over it) and then diffusing it dry. So what's time consuming for me is the FSG styling. I don't know if it's the same for you, but for me because my hair is coarse and porous, it sucks up the gels, and I can't let my hair air-dry because it would be wet all day at work so I have to diffuse it. With FSG it takes me over 30 minutes to do that, closer to 45. With other stylers I can diffuse for 20 minutes and then let it finish drying on it's own and it looks ok, but not with FSG.

Anyway, that was off topic, but I was just wondering if you had that issue.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #613

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs View Post

Anyway, that was off topic, but I was just wondering if you had that issue.
She does use a preservative but not sure what it is. I have to wash my hair at night because it takes so long to completely dry with any product that I use. I still diffuse for about 20 minutes and air dry the rest. I found another seller on etsy that sells fsg and uses germall plus so I'm going to test both gels. At this point it's just more convenient to purchase it than to continue making it myself.

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066

Last edited by Curlsnswirls; 07-31-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #614

Join Date: Apr 2012

I went ahead and placed an order for customized gelee and "fool proof" Mudd. Can't wait to test them out. I will report back.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #615

Join Date: Apr 2012

Got my Mudd and FSG today, can't wait to try them out!!!!! I will report back.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #616

Join Date: Apr 2012

I received my package yesterday...so today I used the Mudd on one half of my hair and the FSG on the other half. Both sides had the right amount of hold. My hair is so soft and shiny .

The scent is very subtle. Maybe next time I'll ask for a little extra scent. Not sure yet which I will like better yet. I'm sooo pleased!!!
All I used was some Oyin HH as a leave in..sealed with a tiny bit of oil. And slathered my hair with the Mudd/FSG.
Erin helped me pick out what was best for my hair, she was right on!! I received my package a week and a half after placing my order, not too bad.
On the underside of my hair I have some tight shiny curls..I mean smaller than a pencil in circumference!! My hair I thought was 3a. I guess I'm a mix of 3a and 3b .

I'm very pleased with my purchase. I figure it's worth it for me to pay for someone else to make when it turns out so awesome! I've spent more money on products that did not work.

I'm going to have to go through my stash now and start getting rid of a bunch of stuff.

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066

Last edited by Curlsnswirls; 08-15-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #617

Join Date: Jun 2008

Uh-oh - I may have to cave in and try this stuff!
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #618

shellyRN07swavy's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012

anyone still using BB fsg or mudd for styling?.... I really would like to try it...but haven't seen too many recent posts on the products....
2b/c CG since 8/12
I have low porosity and fine/med texture. Easily weighed down and VERY frizzy crown, with straighter under layers

Low-poo:TJ TTT, CJ GCS
LI/RO/DC: CK Satin Roots,Sevi Pumpkin, SSI Okra reconstructor, CJ SAC,CJ RM
Stylers: AG Recoil, JC SS
Jellies: CK Coil Jam, Okra gel(HG)
Gel: JC CC, Ouidad H&H gel, Ouidad moisture lock gel

Hair loves moisture protein.
MUST Pixie diffuse.

My hair dose NOT like oils, butters or polyquats Or glycerin in high dews
shellyRN07swavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #619
lj2

Join Date: Jan 2011

I use them both intermittently. They don't provide as much hold as some other gels but I just love how "clean and pure" they are. They both feel super healthy in my hair. That is why I come back to using them. Very natural. Love them both.
lj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #620

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

I love flaxseed gel for my 4a hair. It is the best curl definer for me. But I make it myself because I find it easy and cheap. I used 2 c water and 1/4 c flaxseed which I cook till a whitish gel form on top. I then strain it using a sifter and add 1 tbsp jojoba oil and 1 tbsp glycerin plus a 2-4 drops essentials oil like lemongrass/tea tree/rosemary etc. I use a lot of it on my freshly washed hair and refrigerate the rest up to 3 weeks.
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote