FSG made by Botticelli Babe!

Ok... so today was experiment #1 with the stuff the lovely BB was kind enough to concoct for me

I can't say MUCH right now, as my hair's still drying (I just got done diffusing until about 80%). But this stuff just feels SO different in my hair, compared to anything else I've ever tried. So far, I have ZERO crunch. Which has never happened to me before. Ever. If I just use leave-in, I get crunch normally.

My mirror was WAY fogged as I was drying, which was probably a good thing. I tend to freak when I'm drying it, and think i need to add ___ and ______ and_____, when in reality it just goes through a "blech" phase as it's drying, and usually rights itself. So I was kind of bracing myself for the outcome of this little experiment to not be so great. And then I wiped off a bit of my mirror and hello ringlets

like I said, can't say 100% yet... but so far, so good.

ETA: Ok. This stuff is DEFINITELY interesting, and it's going to take some playing around for me to find the perfect use for it, I think. ALone, it doesn't seem to have enough hold for me. After about an hour, I was starting to poof and lose definition. Still, the moisture it imparted, and the lightweight curl enhancement is DEFINITELY a winner in my books. Just need to pair it with a gel I think, is all. Or maybe use more... I used what I thought was probably a lot for the rest of you (I normally use a TON of product), but maybe I still underdid it...

Anyways, BB, you rock! :P Thanks again
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Last edited by MimsTX; 01-27-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Well yay, Mims! So far so good is better than so far NO good! *lol* I'm eager to hear what you think once your hair is fully dry!

EDIT: I must have started doing something and not seen your edit - oops!

Anyway, yay! I have a couple of suggestions for you to increase hold, and failing that, I have another idea. I'll PM you to elaborate.

Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

Last edited by BotticelliBabe; 01-27-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Anyways, BB, you rock! :P Thanks again
Originally Posted by MimsTX
Hey Mims I know you're like me and have to watch out for Oc'd. Did you use a leave in? BB told me for max hold not to use LI and that worked for me

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

ack, yep, used some KBB milk.

Maybe I'll try nixing that next time, and see what happens...
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Oh I used a leave in too today when I tried it. I'll try it without next time and see if I get a little more hold. The hold was good but I know for myself it won't hold up all day.
*rofl* You guys.......

I swear - I'm NOT a witch. Not that there's anything wrong with witches!! I'm just a SAHM with lots more time than money, and since I live in the boonies and don't see hardly ANYONE unless I go out, I have no qualms about testing a new formulation every time I wash my hair. *lol* So, I learned fast what worked and what didn't.

I had a thought, too (scary, I know!). The water I use to make the Gelee comes straight from my tap, but we have numerous springs on our property, and no filtration system (never needed it! the water is oh so clear and cold!). Part of the miraculous nature of my FSG might be something as simple as the water I use and the mineral content of that water. It seems so simple, but yet it's a very large part of the equation. City water may have additives like chlorine and flouride that might offset the final result, and my well water is obviously unique in its makeup.

It may also be that my stove is a vintage 60's Lady Kenmore gas range (I LOVE my stove!), and perhaps it heats differently than other, more modern ranges do. Again, it seems small, but maybe it makes all the difference in the world!
Originally Posted by BotticelliBabe
Now look what you've done I'll have to go and buy some bottled water from the Lake District for the next batch I make.

It's a shame the FSG won't travel.
Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's

www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk

Last edited by janeyliz; 01-28-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: addition
It will travel. I use a pinch (really scientific, huh?) in a 4 oz. bottle of citric acid when I make mine and it lasts for at least a week in the bathroom. I've always used it all before it's gone bad so don't know how long it could actually last.

I bought citric acid at the natural foods co-op. You could try adding a bit to BB's FSG and see what you think.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
How do you know when it's gone bad?

lol, i have this fear of putting rotten stuff in my hair now...
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
How do you know when it's gone bad?

lol, i have this fear of putting rotten stuff in my hair now...
Originally Posted by MimsTX
Mims to be safe why not freeze it in 3-4 oz portions? I still would keep it in the fridge to be super safe I think it lasts up to 2wks that way. BB will chime in when she gets a break from her stove top about how long it will last.

Originally Posted by eche428
I should have clarified. It won't travel to the other side of the Atlantic. If I ordered from BB, can't take the chance it will be held up and take weeks to get to the UK. I already add citric acid as a preservative to my FSG. It would just be nice to try another recipe made in someone else's kitchen!

DT: AOHR
Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's

www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
I put mine in the fridge but I'd be curious how long it will last in there. Otherwise I may freeze portions of it myself. Although that all will depend on how long my power stays on today otherwise it may not matter.

Originally Posted by eche428
Originally Posted by janeyliz
Oh, gotcha. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where you live.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
Originally Posted by amy51373
Get a cooler then and keep it on Ice!! Worse case stick it out in a snow bank, SAVE THE FSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by amy51373
Originally Posted by DEL2C
HAHA! I may have to if we lose it again.
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
I use grapefruit seed extract in mine and it has done fine in my shower for up to 2 weeks. I would imagine mold would form or there would be an odor if it was going bad.
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

Whoo! Ok, let's see if I can answer the questions that were aimed at me. *lol*

First, to janeyliz, it might travel! I'm actually working with a Belgian curly on the feasibility of shipping her some products right now. Maybe if she decides to get some, we'll know more about how long it takes to get across the pond and how it survives the journey. It's still a possibility! I'm also working with a Canadian curly, so if there are any other Canadians wanting to order, that may work, too.

How long does it last? Well, I use two natural preservatives, and it should last at LEAST two weeks in the fridge. You can freeze portions of it as well, and each portion should last two weeks once removed from the freezer and placed in the fridge. I can't really explain how you know when/if it's gone bad - you just know. It takes on an obvious spoiled smell, and you just KNOW.

Ok - I have an announcement to make! After hearing a few concerns about the semi-wateriness of the gelee (and the resulting difficulty in the distribution), I have managed to successfully thicken the gelee to a more useable consistency while not affecting it's overall qualities. The only thing that changed besides the viscosity of the gelee (that I've noticed so far), is that it has a little more hold, which I figured couldn't be bad, right? *lol* It's now easier to distribute, has more slip and feels better in wet hair (I know this is important!), and keeps a more stable consistency after being frozen. It seems to be a win-win! So, all batches of Gelee I send out from now on will be the new and improved thicker formulation.

Thank you for all of your orders and your interest, fellow curlies!

BB rocks...
BB rocks...
Originally Posted by MimsTX
Heehee!! Never let it be said I don't listen to my customers!

Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
I am pacing the floor waiting for my BB order to arrive. I cannot wait to try it. I ordered some FSG, brulee and butter. It should be here today. Will update when it gets here.
CurlyFireHorse
Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
Originally Posted by CurlyFireHorse
*lol* I'm excited for you! Yours was one of the last I sent out without the thickener (there were two others I sent yesterday), but I think you'll still like what it does.

On that note, if there's anybody who has the original formula that would like me to send the thickener along with instructions (at no charge, of course), just raise your hand (here or a PM) and I'll get it out to you ASAP. I have almost everyone's shipping address on record, but if I need it from you, I'll ask for it.