Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel

Just bought this in a quest to find cheaper gels/stylers that will work for me.

When it's first dry and I scrunch, this gel gives my hair great volume, but then the curls seem to fall out and get undefined and frizzier over the next few hours.

It's very dry here--NYC in winter--right now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any routines with it that work for other people? TIA!
2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

I just bought some last night and used it this morning so we'll see how it works for me. I'm using it over some homemade FSG. I did add some aloe gel this time so we'll see if that helps too.

I've been trying a whole bunch of new stuff that seems to be liked here but can't get any real hold out of them, including the HETT, LA Looks Sport gel, the Sally version of the Biolage gel. All start out well, but end up fuzzy in a couple hours.

I'm on a quest for the BRHG but can't seem to find it.

I'm in Michigan so have similar weather.

The quest continues. Sorry I wasn't much help...
Type...actually not sure. It looks 3A/2BC but it has some very straight fine hair with some very kinky curly coarse hair and ends up looking 3A...

CG since October 2002
Currently using Bioterra Recondition or LPVNG
Just made some homeade FSG and LOVE it!

Have used Jessicurl, Deva products but am on a mission to care for my hair in a budget friendly way!
Its the best gel I have tried yet for holding my curls in yet. I start first with KBB nectar and then use a curl enhancer either DM or homemade flax gel and them the HESMU for hold.

It dont do much for me on its own.
I have been playing around with the dozens of products I have in order to curb my desire to buy more. I have discovered that SMU + Sebastian Potion 9 = winning combo! This has been working great for me, funny because I never really cared for either one of them alone. I have even managed to achieve occasional 2nd day hair a couple days. Love it!
I too use HESMU over a curl enhancer. After my leave-in, I use either Komaza coconut curl pudding or Ohm sweet hair pudding to enhance curl. I like the HESMU best over Ohm; I prefer BRHG over the Komaza.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
I live in NJ so same weather..... HESMU is my winter HG.... And if I use it over DMHJ my hair gets even curlier. I'd say if the SMU isnt holding enough you need BRHG.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
0K S0 i TRiED HERBAL ESSENCESS CURL SCRUNCHiNG GEL THAT DiDNT REALLY W0RK BUT THEN i TRiED HERBAL ESSENCESS SET ME UP GEL AND THAT W0RKS WELL i 0F C0URSE HAVE T0 RECC0MEND iT
The only HE gel that works for me is the Body Envy. It has better hold imo so maybe try it out. Its cheap so it cant hurt
Precious Honey
3c with some 3b at the bottom.
Im lovin HENNA
Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
Leave in: Elucence MBC
Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance