Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #1

Mint's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Default Herbal Essences - Having Some Luck

I wanted to share some success I've had with some drugstore products. I've been experimenting with Selsun Blue Moisturizing Shampoo, Pantene Beautiful Lengths Conditioner, and Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split-End Protector and Herbal Essences Body Envy mousse. So far I like the combo a lot because my hair is smooth and the waves are soft yet defined. However, the Pantene actually gets my hair greasy so I'm going to switch to a lighter conditioner.

Does anyone else use these Herbal Essences products? I love the packaging and scents.
2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #2

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Default products

The only HE products I've used recently are the gels. I really like HESMU (set me up) spray gel for hold (used over a leave-in and a curl cream/pudding). I've also used HEBE gel but prefer the HESMU.

Are you still liking the Selsun Blue shampoo? I've tried a number of shampoos in the past to treat dandruff with no success. The only thing that works for me is the following natural remedy:

1. olive oil (1 TBSP) + rosemary essential oil (4 drops) massaged into my scalp and left overnight (with a towel on my pillow of course).

2. wash out the next day with shampoo bar + diluted apple cider vinegar.

The combination of rosemary, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar is a great winter remedy for an itchy, flaky scalp.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

Boomygrrl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

I've only used Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (not the spray kind)...that's when I thought I should use gel. I hate gel. It gets good reviews here, though. So, if you're a "gel" person, you might want to try it.
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #4

crazywaves's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

I use the hesmu and the hett gel and mousse. I have actually had better results with the mousse. With the gels I use curl enhancing products under them. With the mousse I get hold and curl. With kbb under it I barely get any crunch.
crazywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #5

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

HeSMU is my HG winter gel. The mousse is not bad, when I want looser texture with less hold.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

naturalnurse04's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Thumbs up HE Hydralicious Conditioner

I use the Herbal Essesses Hydralicious conditioner. I don't know if it's CG because I just started on this whole journey and I'm trying to learn how to read labels, but I do know that my hair absolutely loves it. It's really moisturizing and I've used it as a leave in once or twice before. I'm pretty sure I'll learn that there's something in it that I'm no suposed to use, but for right now I love it. It's the one in the tie-dyed purple bottle (I use the one for dry/damaged hair because my hair needs all the moisture it can get). HTH
"Don't remove the kinks from your hair, Remove them from your brain." -Marcus Garvey
3c-4a, needs MOISTURE
Last Relaxer: Sept. 6, 2008

naturalnurse04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #7

~GypsyCurls~'s Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to ~GypsyCurls~

I use the Hydralicious Reconditioning S & C, the Totally Twisted mousse and gel, the Hello Hydration Condish, and the Degunkify Shampoo.

The TT gel only works for me if it's put over the mousse, otherwise it doesn't really do much. The HH Condish is also not that moisturizing for me. Everything else works very well though.
2c/3a/3b curls, waist length

~GypsyCurls~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2002

Originally Posted by naturalnurse04 View Post
Unfortunately they aren't CG.
3A curls, fine texture, thin (it's always been that way). A few inches past shoulder length and would like it to grow very long.

Latest routine:
Sulfate-free shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, Elucence, Bedhead Superstar
Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, DermOrganic Masque, Redken All Soft
Style: DermOrganic Argan Oil Treatment/Serum, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, Kerastase Nectar Thermique, Oyin Hair Dew
starcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #9

Mint's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007

I still like Selsun Blue a lot. It keeps my scalp fresh and balanced. I'm just using Drama Clean as a change but I'm not sure if I'll go back to it because it takes a while to rinse all the out. I might try a different HE shampoo.

Here's a chart from the website:

The Hydralicious Self-Targeting Conditioner smells amazing but I'm not too crazy about the formula (I don't want a repeat performance of greasy Pantene Beautiful Lengths) but maybe I'll try it later. Totally Twisted Mousse looks great too.

Is there a difference between the performances of Body Envy Mousse and Totally Twisted Mousse? I would be using Totally Twisted but I'm not sure if I'll like the smell (Body Envy is heavenly).
2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #10

~GypsyCurls~'s Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to ~GypsyCurls~

Thanks for posting that chart, Mint! I guess I will stick to None of Your Frizziness or Break's Over. I saw the BO on clearance at Wally World the other day so I don't know if they are discontinuing it...I hope not.
2c/3a/3b curls, waist length