Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

soccermama's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Default I need help finding a good microfiber towel

I thought I had finally found a larger microfiber towel at Target last night, but it is still too small to plop with it.

Does anyone know if a good place that you can buy them other than online? I live in a medium city, so we probably have most stores.

Thanks

Originally Posted by amandaleah View Post

Thanks
bump!

I need one too!!!
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV
burgundy_locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

melaniesusan's Avatar

Default plopping towel

No idea where to find one in stores, but I splurged and bought the curl-ease towel on curlmart a few months ago and it was worth every penny...
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #4

curlsAbound's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

I had read that microfiber towels are too rough for the cuticle so I layer a flour sack and a microfiber towel and scrunch. This way I get the smoothness of the flour sack touching my hair and the absorbent qualities of the microfiber underneath that to get rid of all that water.

This is from the livecurlylivefree site which has an amazing wealth of information:
regular towels, such as terrycloth or microfiber, are too heavy to be used on curly hair. They can cause friction, which will ruffle the cuticle and cause frizz
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
HG's
Poo/Condish:Desert Essences shampoo and conditioner, Biolage Deep Treatment, LiveClean moisturizing low 'poo/condish, Loréal NutriGloss Treatment
Leave in: BWC, HSH pumpkin potion, Aveda Be Curly style-prep
Stylers:
my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG; Aveda Phomollient + BeCurly curl enhancer; Biolage Gelée + AOMM, AG mousse gel

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For $5 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
curlsAbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #5

LisaF1163's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009

If it helps, I've been getting great results by plopping with a long-sleeved tee shirt.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
LisaF1163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #6

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by melaniesusan View Post
I agree. I tried the Acquis MF towel. It is one of the bigger MF towels, but it made my hair frizzy if I left it on too long.... Unfortunately, the difference of a minute could mean a frizzy mess.

I bought some thin MF handtowels at one of the super store/grocery stores. If my hair is really drippy, I scrunch once with the MF towel, just so that it isn't dripping. I then use the Curlease towel to plop. The Curlease towel is huge and I have no problem with frizz since I started plopping with it. It is well worth the investment.

If you still want a large MF towel, you can try Walmart. In the automotive section, they have large MF towels where they keep their products for cleaning the cars. I looked at them myself, before I broke down and bought a Curlease one ... they are nice and big, but are really thick.

Just in case you're thinking of ordering a Curlease towel. Curlmart is offering 15% off products with the promo code CurlyNikki09 for the month of February ... and if you live in the U.S., it is $7 flat rate shipping.

If you live in Canada, you can get the Curlease towels from www.honeyfig.com. At least you can pay Canadian dollar and shipping from this site. The customer service is really good too.

HTH
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #7

Join Date: Jan 2009

I found mine at Target. I looked in the bath, kitchen and cosmetic sections with no luck.

Guess where I finally found a microfiber towel large enough to plop...In the pet section! They sell microfiber towels for dogs. I think I bought the "extra large" size.

Mine works wonderfully.

Hope that helps!
kungfugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #8

Jess the Mess's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to Jess the Mess

I use towels I make from t-shirt material I buy at the fabric store. That way they are cheap and the right size. My Deva Stylist taught me that trick.
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Jess the Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #9

msgiblet's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

I think the Curlease towel is definitely worth the money for plopping. They're nice and big and smooth so no frizz. I really also like the Curls Like Us cloths for scrunching but you have to get those on-line, but again, I think it's worth it. I know a lot of the curlies here really like the flour sack towels that you can buy locally - I'm not sure where they got them -- WalMart, Target??
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #10

CurlyOver40!'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007

I got my Curlease at Bed Bath & Beyond.

3a/3b

CurlyOver40! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #11

sharon5152's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

Don't laugh: I've stolen the MF towel I originally bought for my dogs! It's the perfect size for them--and me! Now it belongs to me...
3a/b
Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

sharon5152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Jip

Jip's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2000

Try Ulta or Sephora, if there is one near you. I found mine there a few years ago..
Classic Type 4A
Coarse Texture
Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER – Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Shea Butter Leave-in (Curly to Kinky)
SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Jip

Jip's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2000

Originally Posted by Jip View Post
I also saw some at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day for less than $20....
Classic Type 4A
Coarse Texture
Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #14

crazywaves's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

I have had best results with the flour sack towels. Found them at meijer by the kitchen towels 5 for 4.99. There 30x30 which is the perfect size.
crazywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #15

WurlyLox's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

I have two different microfiber towels, one from CurlMart (IDK if they even still have them - I ordered a few years ago) and one from Bed, Bath and Beyond, but I much prefer a Curlease, floursack or other cotton dish towel, or a cotton t-shirt, preferably long sleeve.

I seldom even use the microfiber towels any more. I do scrunch sometimes with these small handtowel-size ones that I got in a 6-pack at Walgreen's, but a cotton dish towel, t-shirt, or even old cotton panties works just as well, if not better.
2C/3A/3B - mod. CG, med. to fine, normal to low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett