Herbal Tame

This is also in Transitioning.

When I decided to go natural, I used a product called Herbal Tame Hair Relaxer by Gold Medal (goldmedal.com). The YouTube video is kind of goofy!
I used it so that I could learn how to manage my hair without a texturizer, blow drying my hair straight, or pressing my hair. It truly does what it says. If I had a table top hair dryer when I began to use it, I would have seen the results in 3 months versus 6 months. It does not make your hair straight, but conditioned, manageable, and healthy.

I used it for 2 years, then I began exploring other products. I was not dissatisfied with Herbal Tame; I just wanted to try other products.

Has anyone used Herbal Tame?
I noticed no one has replied to this. Not sure where it is posted. However, I have been researching different ways to loosen my tightly curled or should I said coiled 4a or 4b hair and also to lessen the amount of shrinkage. I would like to wear my hair in it's natural curly state, as oppose to it just shrinking and poofing.
So I came across this herbal tame relaxer and it seems mild. HOwever much of the videos and info on it are so outdated. LOL.

So what can you tell me about it since you used it? I used to use vigorol back in the day when I was like 10, and I don't remember it ever taking me out of my natural state. Atleast not that I can remember. I remember my hair being easier to manage with vigorol. Anyway is it anything like that? I have since transitioned from my relaxed days with two years of natural hair growth, and I don't want anything to change that. Just henna's and yogurt and caramel treatments just don't seem strong enough for the results I want. I want a looser pattern with less shrinkage but nothing ultra chemical ultering. BKT treatments are just out b/c of the Formaldehyde.

Are you natural now? What was your experience? Would you use it now? thanks for your help
4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
Yes, I am completely natural now. I used it while transitioning. I did research on it because of the RIO scare at the time, and even called the owner of the company to ask about it. Finally, when I used it, I was very happy. I stopped only because I wanted to try something else. Perhaps this was the beginning of me becoming a conditioner junkie. LOL.

I am pleased to see that the formula has not changed. If you use it without a steamer or bonnet (hard or soft) dryer, you will see results in 6 months. If you use the steamer or bonnet dryer, you will see results in 3 months.
I used Herbal Tame twice a month.

For me, it softened my hair and defined my curls. My hair was stretched slightly. I liked Herbal Tame because my hair felt and looked healthier. It was easier to comb, (when I used to comb my hair), and people commented that my hair didn't look dry and looked healthier. I did not achieve that look at the time with just a conditioner.

I still had the shrinkage, but less of it, and I still had to detangle my hair, but it didn't take as long as before and there was less breakage. My goal was for my hair to become more manageable and to be soft. Herbal Tame helped.

It's funny that you asked if I would use it now because I will be buying soon! I want to see how my hair will respond to it now that I'm not transitioning. I plan on buying the packets since they haven't been mixed with a conditioner as the gel. With the packets, I can make it to the consistency that I prefer.

Overall, using Herbal Tame helped me to like my hair in its natural state, want to touch and style it, and could begin to could also finger comb. I still needed a leave-in conditioner as I do now because my hair is very dry and porous.

Also, with Herbal Tame, I didn't have to worry about changing products with the seasons. That's another reason why I want to try it again; I want to see if I get the same results as the last time that I used it.

If you want your hair to go from Type 4 to Type 3, Herbal Tame will not achieve that for you. But if you want your hair to have fewer tangles, become manageable, feel and look healthier, then based on my experience, Herbal Tame may help you achieve those goals.

I hope this helps you. If you have other questions, please feel free to ask me.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat:various oils

DT:
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler/
:Stylers: Lush Zeste Hair Gel, MJ Multicultural Curls

*experimenting and loving it!

Here's a 2007 article about it:

Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat:various oils

DT:
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler/
:Stylers: Lush Zeste Hair Gel, MJ Multicultural Curls

*experimenting and loving it!