Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Readers' Product Reviews

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
 
aislin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 860
Default DM Coco Curly Butter

I received a sample of this awhile ago in the little red labeled jar, and it looked like a gel. Smells great. Then I received a larger version of this off the swap board this week, and it looks more like the Lock and Twist only lighter in color- creamy consistency, a bit grainy looking, not gel like and smooth like my sample from the company, but still smells pretty much the same.

What does yours look like inside? Is this normal to have differing consistencies to the point which you are not sure if it's even the same product?
__________________
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
 
xcptnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,145
Default

Mine looks like a pudding...smooth. The lock and twist looks more grainy if that makes sense. I had the same question about my honey/aloe curling jelly as mine has stuff in it - little pieces of something - almost grainy and I think everyone else said their bottle was smooth.
__________________
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
 
Laura Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
Mine looks like a pudding...smooth. The lock and twist looks more grainy if that makes sense. I had the same question about my honey/aloe curling jelly as mine has stuff in it - little pieces of something - almost grainy and I think everyone else said their bottle was smooth.
My honey and aloe has little red dots in it. I hadn't heard that it was supposed to be smooth?

Anyhoo, my coco curly butter is creamy and smooth. Not grainy at all. My L&T is the one that is grainy
__________________
http://www.dormroomcurly.blogspot.com


www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!
Laura Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
I received a sample of this awhile ago in the little red labeled jar, and it looked like a gel. Smells great. Then I received a larger version of this off the swap board this week, and it looks more like the Lock and Twist only lighter in color- creamy consistency, a bit grainy looking, not gel like and smooth like my sample from the company, but still smells pretty much the same.

What does yours look like inside? Is this normal to have differing consistencies to the point which you are not sure if it's even the same product?

I was wondering the same thing. I had ordered a sample from DM a while back of the CCB and I just got a full jar via swap and it looks and smells slightly different. I e-mailed DM and they said that because these are made by hand it is common for variation in color and smell. So, this is normal. HTH.
__________________
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
 
aislin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlykey View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I had ordered a sample from DM a while back of the CCB and I just got a full jar via swap and it looks and smells slightly different. I e-mailed DM and they said that because these are made by hand it is common for variation in color and smell. So, this is normal. HTH.

Ah okay yes that does help . I just thought it looked so different, how could it be the same product if all the ingredients and amounts are the same. I'm just worried it's going to be heavier and have less hold than my sample. Guess there's only one way to find out!
__________________
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

The other issue to remember is the weather. If it's not stored properly when shipped, the consistency can change. When I've done samples this winter, I've had to take them into post office--can't chance leaving them in the outdoor boxes because of the temperatures in the 30s.

Last summer, I got natural products from another company that had melted and solidified. According to that company (not Donna Marie) there is not degradation in product when this happens.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
 
aislin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
The other issue to remember is the weather. If it's not stored properly when shipped, the consistency can change. When I've done samples this winter, I've had to take them into post office--can't chance leaving them in the outdoor boxes because of the temperatures in the 30s.

Last summer, I got natural products from another company that had melted and solidified. According to that company (not Donna Marie) there is not degradation in product when this happens.
That's true, and it was sitting outside my doorstep in Michigan February weather. I used it, and it doesn't seem to be very different from my sample.
__________________
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com