Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Default DM Coco Curly Butter

I received a sample of this awhile ago in the little red labeled jar, and it looked like a gel. Smells great. Then I received a larger version of this off the swap board this week, and it looks more like the Lock and Twist only lighter in color- creamy consistency, a bit grainy looking, not gel like and smooth like my sample from the company, but still smells pretty much the same.

What does yours look like inside? Is this normal to have differing consistencies to the point which you are not sure if it's even the same product?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #2

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

Mine looks like a pudding...smooth. The lock and twist looks more grainy if that makes sense. I had the same question about my honey/aloe curling jelly as mine has stuff in it - little pieces of something - almost grainy and I think everyone else said their bottle was smooth.

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Laura Lee's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
My honey and aloe has little red dots in it. I hadn't heard that it was supposed to be smooth?

Anyhoo, my coco curly butter is creamy and smooth. Not grainy at all. My L&T is the one that is grainy

www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!
Laura Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #4

Join Date: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by aislin View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I had ordered a sample from DM a while back of the CCB and I just got a full jar via swap and it looks and smells slightly different. I e-mailed DM and they said that because these are made by hand it is common for variation in color and smell. So, this is normal. HTH.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post

Ah okay yes that does help . I just thought it looked so different, how could it be the same product if all the ingredients and amounts are the same. I'm just worried it's going to be heavier and have less hold than my sample. Guess there's only one way to find out!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #6

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

The other issue to remember is the weather. If it's not stored properly when shipped, the consistency can change. When I've done samples this winter, I've had to take them into post office--can't chance leaving them in the outdoor boxes because of the temperatures in the 30s.

Last summer, I got natural products from another company that had melted and solidified. According to that company (not Donna Marie) there is not degradation in product when this happens.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #7

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

That's true, and it was sitting outside my doorstep in Michigan February weather. I used it, and it doesn't seem to be very different from my sample.