Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #1

Join Date: Aug 2004
Default suave vs vo5

hey all,
I use to use suave and had to stop because it caused me excessive shedding.
I've never tried any vo5 but, see a lot of cgers use them.

can you tell me if the vo5 ones casue a lot of shedding, which ones are cg and also, tell me if the smells linger. I'm ok with scents it's if they linger that causes a problem.
tia
yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
yogawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #2

Join Date: Mar 2007

Shedding as in hair loss? It is normal to lose 100 hairs a day you know. And since they don't slide out of curly hair during the day, they have to be combed out in the shower.

Anyways to the main point, the difference I noticed between the two was that suave had a lot thicker consistency and vo5 was a lot thinner. For this reason I like suave much more. It doesn't drip off my head so I go through it a lot slower. But definitely try v05, because I know a lot of people like it, and it's only like a dollar or something. HTH!

P.S. I think they're all CG, but you can refer to this list to make sure:
Oh and I am unsure about the protein content.

my CG method article, blog, & my youtube videos

Last edited by whimaway; 03-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

Join Date: Aug 2004

Suave caused more shedding , let's say than Giovanni.(and other co)
When I use Giovanni, I had way less shedding than the suave (in shower)
When half/wavyhalfcurly was here and I mentioned this, she said some less expensive co products used a different ingredient that may cause this. some do not. I don't know which ingredient it was. I have no probelm with trader joe nourish, that's why I was wondering about the vo5. I just may give it a try!
also, you mentioned suave was thicker, I'm a 2a/b fine haired wavy, vo5 u say is thinner may be better for me. which scents are good, (and don't Linger)
yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
yogawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Join Date: Mar 2007

OK. I've only tried one scent--strawberries and cream--and I don't remember if it lingered or not. I do remember that it smelled amazing however. Also a lot of people like a mint one and white rain? Just look in people's sigs and you'll see the favored scents.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Join Date: Mar 2007

P.S. Also I think you can just smell it in the store.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

Boomygrrl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

I don't know if it causes more or less shedding. I can't help you with that one. I tend to not be so observant about what product is causing shedding. I do have something in my shower to catch my hair, so it doesn't go down the drain, so you'd think I'd be aware of this. I guess hair shedding is just not a big issue for me. I assume we are going to shed hair for all sorts of reasons and unless big chunks of hair come out of my head, I'm not too concerned, I guess. LOL

As far as how well it cleans, I like both Suave and VO5 for Co-washing. Suave seems thicker than VO5. I'm not sure if that plays a role in shedding or not? The conditioners that don't cause shedding problems for you...are they thinner than Suave? If not, then my theory should be discarded. If they are thinner, then you might like VO5. Maybe the thickness "grabs" more hair...I dunno.
Maybe there's a common ingredient in conditioners that cause more shedding. Or maybe a certain fragrance, rather than Suave conditoners in general is causing you problems. Maybe other Suave conditioners would be okay.

Yep, I'm complicating the issue. LOL
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b