Lush products for curly hair!!!

I read a shill post the other day for something...shoot, I can't remember. Anyway, I felt oddly...clever and detective-like.
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
lush hair products aren't that natural. the curly wurly has sulfates in it and so does a conditioner that i used (american cream) and other alcohols. read the ingredients. i should have done that b4 i bought the products they r really expensive.....
So I've been to the store and talked with a SA,plus been doing research online and yes Lush products have SLS they have replaced it with SCS in some of the products. The SA explained to me that the sulfates are plant derived as opposed to being chemically made ... they don't have parabens or silicones and they smell great. Research wise Health Canada says they find SLS and SES to be safe when not used on hair alone and when added to shampoos and conditioning oils it is diluted even further and in some cases deemed inactive. I would like to try trichomania shampoo bar (apparently if you puree this you can alleviate the flaking issue), retread conditioner, and R & B treatment ( i tested this on a section of my hair and was really impressed with the results curl definition and the softness of my hair was superb even the next day) Anyways what do people think about that
Originally Posted by lyriqwrites
Frankly, I think you are a LUSH associate (like the OP of this thread). I don't appreciate this surreptitious peddling.

If you are in fact a consumer, here is my honest opinion:

Personally, I find LUSH hair products hair products ridiculously expensive. I much prefer Aubrey Organics (also made in small batches, very natural – mostly organic, in fact – and affordable). Oyin Handmade and Shea Moisture deserve a shout-out too IMHO. No sulfates, silicones or parabens in any of these brands. No propylene glycol** either, unlike some LUSH products.

"Research wise Health Canada says they find SLS and SES to be safe when not used on hair alone and when added to shampoos and conditioning oils it is diluted even further and in some cases deemed inactive." – If it's inactive then why the heck is it in there? That's some nonsense talk. It probably helps cut potential build up of the oils, etc. on the hair, but it's certainly not "deemed inactive."

Both SLS and SCS are derived from coconuts; the difference between them is a matter of purity (similar to distilled water vs hard water). That doesn't mean they aren't stripping. For info into the chemistry of it, see http://longhair.livejournal.com/2356788.html

**Propylene glycol is a cheap and effective humectant, but many people are allergic to it. It took me years to realize that it was the culprit behind the mild rashes on my face and scalp. And it's in the $30 for 8.4oz Retread conditioner – which also has PARABENS?! I'm sure you can find a less irritating, truly natural humectant to put in there – honey, agave nectar, aloe?

UGH – after doing my research to write this response, I'm done even considering LUSH. I am beyond irked at "natural" products that are not. What a green-washed load of crock.
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Last edited by poemaXX; 12-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
I'll agree with you there. I like their Big Tease gel, and the R & B leave in looks pretty awesome (last I checked)-- but their prices are ridiculous, and the insistence that everything is natural omg!!! when it is clearly not is obnoxious. I like that they make the effort for good quality organic stuff when they're using non-chemical ingredients (various butters, extracts etc.), but for those of us who avoid things like propylene glycol or SLS or parabens or whatever, it doesn't matter. Kind of a pity, because some of their non hair-care stuff is pretty awesome sounding, but I'm pretty ehn about giving them my money for anything less than an HG I cannot live without what with all of the above. (Which is why I'm trying to find something I like better than Big Tease, argh.)

I think it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what sort of chemicals you mind putting in your hair. If you're not sensitive to a ton of things and don't mind flinging money around, Lush is okay. Otherwise, you're better off spending your money elsewhere.
poemaXX likes this.
2b/c, low porosity

Low-Poo: Diluted L'oreal Eversleek shampoo
Co-wash: Currently Trader Joe's Nourish Spa (old formula)
Rinse-out: None! I just do gobs of leave in.
Leave-in: KMF Big Hair (HG! aaaand a discontinued formula. If anyone else knows a proteiny aloe and BMTS based conditioner I can try to replace this with after my stash runs out, let me know!)
Styling: FOTE AVG (HG!), Lush's The Big Tease gel (RIP...)
From what I understand, LUSH markets itself as fresh, handmade cosmetics. Not natural.

They do not use animal products, or test on animals, or get their ingredients from people who test on animals. Some of their products are vegan, and are advertised as such. Others contain eggs and honey.

They are environmentally friendly, and use only fair trade products. They also do a lot of charity and environmental work.

They have a lot of other products if you're not into their shampoos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

They have a lot of other products if you're not into their shampoos.

Originally Posted by iroc
You make a good point re: the fresh and handmade claim. However, I'm still disappointed about how that doesn't equate to high-quality across the board. It's not just their shampoos I have an issue with. As I mentioned, I avoid anything with Propylene Glycol for fear of another rash, so that rules out several of their conditioners and most of their soaps. I've used their face stuff before (Angels on Bare Skin - meh.) and their cuticle butter Lemon Flutter is nice, but so is Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. And I'm not enthused by their inclusion of parabens in some products.

I'm trying to be reasonable. I know other curlies on this board aren't looking for the same things I am in my products. I came down so hard on this poster because I HATE IT when advertisers come on here and try to blend in. I'm just trying to set some things straight. Thanks for contributing your facts as well. I'm glad they are a cleaner brand than some.

Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Last edited by poemaXX; 12-11-2012 at 02:53 PM.
I've tried the R'n'b cream and really love it
I like Curly Wurly shampoo.