-   -   Lush products for curly hair!!! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/73225-lush-products-curly-hair.html)

gloomgoddess8 04-10-2009 12:57 PM

Lush products for curly hair!!!

I love Lush products for my curls. They have all kinds of fresh, handmade cosmetics that have not been tested on animals. They also use as many natural ingredients as possible to steer away from synthetic, man-made ingredients. Did I mention that they are fresh and hand-made? Because they are so fresh, their products do have shelf-lives, but if you love their products as much as I do, then you will use them all up before they go bad. I love Curly Wurly shampoo. It is so gentle and moisturizing. It smells amazing, but if you hate coconut, this product is not for you. It has actual ground coconut in it! Kinda messy, but it is moisturizing, and it does not strip the hair of its essential oils. If your curls are more fine, I would recommend Veganese conditioner because it will not weigh hair down, and yes, it is a vegan product! There are a lot of products that have SLS, but they do have several that do not, and it seems like they are trying to make more of them without. Hm, I will try to post a list of the products that are SLS-free later on.

xcptnl 04-10-2009 01:05 PM

I bought a sample of the Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout Shampoo. It was ok. I might try their conditioners but I don't get into their stores very often. Sometimes their fragrances are a bit much for me.

msgiblet 04-10-2009 09:21 PM

I wonder why they put sodium lauryl sulfate in so many of their conditioners?

izzytart 04-10-2009 10:40 PM

My hair lived very happily on Cynthia Sylvia Stout and American Cream for *years*. I gave them up only when I realized how troublesome SLS was for curly hair. I suspect they had little effect on my hair because my hair is so, sooo not porous, but that doesn't make it ok.

If I were to care less about my ingredients, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat, though :D

sexyjacksparrow 04-12-2009 05:20 AM

I love Lush products although not had too much joy with the haircare overall. Saying that, I do use I Love Juicy regularly as it's the only shampoo that really cleans my hair as well as I'd like. I basically use it every third wash with a (non-Lush) non-sulphate shampoo the other times.

Not got on too well with the conditioners. I really want to try their gels though, which look like they are CG-suitable - King of the Mods or The Big Tease appeal. Anyone tried them?

kema1v 04-13-2009 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by sexyjacksparrow (Post 934057)

Kerry xx

I've been playing with King of the Mods. I went through a phase recently of using Boots with KOM on top but that combination really built up on my hair. So now I'm trying it just over some leave-in conditioner. My hair is still drying so I'll update later! It smells good and it's useful for smoothing down frizz on dry hair. But I'm not convinced I'd buy it again.

sexyjacksparrow 04-13-2009 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by kema1v (Post 934885)

Originally Posted by sexyjacksparrow (Post 934057)

Kerry xx

Let me know how you get on with it!

empressri 04-13-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by msgiblet (Post 933257)
I wonder why they put sodium lauryl sulfate in so many of their conditioners?

yeah i saw that yesterday! i was like why?

helloitsio 04-13-2009 11:09 AM

I've used the big tease and I think it's alright. The hold is good but in the course of the day, it tends to loosen a bit. Plus, it makes my hair feel a bit rough.

I've used it as a finishing product on top of KCCC and thought it was alright.

The scent is to. die. for. but for the price/oz, I don't think it ranks high enough on my list.

kema1v 04-13-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sexyjacksparrow (Post 935010)

Let me know how you get on with it!

Kerry xx

Ok, so I'm having a really good hair day - only slight frizz (good for me) and wavier than usual. But I'm not sure if it's the gel or the fact that i'm staying in Scotland for a few days in a soft water area rather than the horrible hard water I'm used to or that I changed conditioners yesterday or that I had my hair cut a few days ago. Too many variables at once :confused2:

I'd say give it a go! It's one of the few natural(ish), CG gels we can buy in the UK.

jillipoo 04-13-2009 12:17 PM

xcptnl 04-13-2009 12:36 PM

Am I the only one who feels like this post was made by a total shill for Lush?

Now what would make you think that???? :roll: (Considering the one other post was a Lush plug too.)

jillipoo 04-13-2009 01:04 PM

LOL, xcptnl! People were responding like it was a valid post, and I just felt the need to let the OP know that we are not that stupid. Polite, yes, but certainly not stupid.

kema1v 04-13-2009 03:18 PM

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the OP. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...cons/icon8.gif Annoying that they harp on about how natural the products are and then you read the ingredient list and find PVP, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/beheneth-25 methacrylate crosspolymer, propylene glycol and methylparaben.
But it's so hard to find CG gels in the UK that are really natural...

sexyjacksparrow 04-14-2009 09:01 AM

Annoying if the OP was just plugging - I hate when people do that! And I agree that Lush aren't as natural as they promote themselves as being - a lot of companies are guilty of this so I pretty much take it with a pinch of salt until I've read the ingredients list.

Kema, glad to hear that KOTM seems to have been good on your hair, even if you have other variables thrown in. I might give it a whirl when I'm in Lush next at some point. Your hair looks similar to mine - although mine is slightly longer and leans towards 3a at the bottom (but is mainly 2c).

msgiblet 04-14-2009 09:09 AM

Am I the only one who feels like this post was made by a total shill for Lush?

No, you're not the only one and a big reason why I asked why so many of their conditioners contained sodium lauryl sufate? You'll notice I got no response to that one.

LisaF1163 04-14-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by msgiblet (Post 936199)

Am I the only one who feels like this post was made by a total shill for Lush?

Oh, this is totally a post by a Lush employee, make no mistake.

I used to work for Lush, the OP's sales pitch was taken almost word for word from our Lush training manual - this was pretty much the exact same pitch we'd be told to use on customers who were browsing our shampoo section. :-? Plus, Lush corporate always wanted us to hit other message boards, going on and on about how awesome their products are. And some of them are - I still use only their facial skin care, soup to nuts. But their hair care leaves a lot to be desired if you're going CG. They're some of the most CG unfriendly products around, loaded with SLS. Plus, they're incredibly expensive - with as much conditioner as you need to go CG, even if Lush's products were CG friendly, they're nowhere near cost-effective.

LisaF1163 04-14-2009 05:18 PM

Oh, and for her whopping two posts, her only other post is a Lush sales pitch on the hair color board:

Originally Posted by gloomgoddess8 (Post 932738)
I am not sure what state you live in, but if there is a Lush store where you live, I would recommend using their henna products. Their store associates are wonderful, at least in AZ, so they should be able to help you choose which would be best for you. If you don't have a store where you live, you can order online from lush.com. It's an amazing place, have a look around. I recommend all of their products (hair, face, body, bath, shower). Check it out!

:tongue3:

brown_eyedgal20 04-14-2009 07:30 PM

Yea...I agree that was a total plug.

I used their hair products when I wasn't CG and they were horrible. The conditioner for dry, unruly (or whatever) hair made it impossible to comb in the shower. I had huge, frizzy, dry (!) hair. Was a waste of my money.

I will say that lots of their products smell heavenly though...

micol124 04-15-2009 12:24 PM

Uhm... but would their gels be considered CG friendly? I am running out of gel and Italy doesn't have that many CG friendly products...