Lush products for curly hair!!!

I love Lush products for my curls. They have all kinds of fresh, handmade cosmetics that have not been tested on animals. They also use as many natural ingredients as possible to steer away from synthetic, man-made ingredients. Did I mention that they are fresh and hand-made? Because they are so fresh, their products do have shelf-lives, but if you love their products as much as I do, then you will use them all up before they go bad. I love Curly Wurly shampoo. It is so gentle and moisturizing. It smells amazing, but if you hate coconut, this product is not for you. It has actual ground coconut in it! Kinda messy, but it is moisturizing, and it does not strip the hair of its essential oils. If your curls are more fine, I would recommend Veganese conditioner because it will not weigh hair down, and yes, it is a vegan product! There are a lot of products that have SLS, but they do have several that do not, and it seems like they are trying to make more of them without. Hm, I will try to post a list of the products that are SLS-free later on.

Last edited by gloomgoddess8; 04-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.
I bought a sample of the Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout Shampoo. It was ok. I might try their conditioners but I don't get into their stores very often. Sometimes their fragrances are a bit much for me.

I wonder why they put sodium lauryl sulfate in so many of their conditioners?
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

My hair lived very happily on Cynthia Sylvia Stout and American Cream for *years*. I gave them up only when I realized how troublesome SLS was for curly hair. I suspect they had little effect on my hair because my hair is so, sooo not porous, but that doesn't make it ok.

If I were to care less about my ingredients, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat, though
"when I sleep, my curls crush flat, like a slinky that's slopped sideways"
Gone 'girly. Last 'poo 10/18/08
Current experiment is Co-Wash and Condition: V05 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner
Then KBB super silky, KCCC, then L'Oreal Melting Gel with a bit of GF Super Stiff mixed in.
Pre-toweling, post-toweling, pre-plop and post-plop. The jury is not out on the plopping thing. I think my hair is too fine.
fine / non-porous / thin aka 3"abba" / oh so Fine / just barely ii
I love Lush products although not had too much joy with the haircare overall. Saying that, I do use I Love Juicy regularly as it's the only shampoo that really cleans my hair as well as I'd like. I basically use it every third wash with a (non-Lush) non-sulphate shampoo the other times.

Not got on too well with the conditioners. I really want to try their gels though, which look like they are CG-suitable - King of the Mods or The Big Tease appeal. Anyone tried them?

Originally Posted by sexyjacksparrow
I've been playing with King of the Mods. I went through a phase recently of using Boots with KOM on top but that combination really built up on my hair. So now I'm trying it just over some leave-in conditioner. My hair is still drying so I'll update later! It smells good and it's useful for smoothing down frizz on dry hair. But I'm not convinced I'd buy it again.

Originally Posted by kema1v

Let me know how you get on with it!

Boots 'pink' curl creme
I wonder why they put sodium lauryl sulfate in so many of their conditioners?
Originally Posted by msgiblet
yeah i saw that yesterday! i was like why?
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
I've used the big tease and I think it's alright. The hold is good but in the course of the day, it tends to loosen a bit. Plus, it makes my hair feel a bit rough.

I've used it as a finishing product on top of KCCC and thought it was alright.

The scent is to. die. for. but for the price/oz, I don't think it ranks high enough on my list.
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

Location: SoCal

Let me know how you get on with it!

Originally Posted by sexyjacksparrow
Ok, so I'm having a really good hair day - only slight frizz (good for me) and wavier than usual. But I'm not sure if it's the gel or the fact that i'm staying in Scotland for a few days in a soft water area rather than the horrible hard water I'm used to or that I changed conditioners yesterday or that I had my hair cut a few days ago. Too many variables at once

I'd say give it a go! It's one of the few natural(ish), CG gels we can buy in the UK.
Am I the only one who feels like this post was made by a total shill for Lush?
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
Originally Posted by jillipoo
Now what would make you think that???? (Considering the one other post was a Lush plug too.)

LOL, xcptnl! People were responding like it was a valid post, and I just felt the need to let the OP know that we are not that stupid. Polite, yes, but certainly not stupid.
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the OP. Annoying that they harp on about how natural the products are and then you read the ingredient list and find PVP, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/beheneth-25 methacrylate crosspolymer, propylene glycol and methylparaben.
But it's so hard to find CG gels in the UK that are really natural...
poemaXX likes this.
Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
Annoying if the OP was just plugging - I hate when people do that! And I agree that Lush aren't as natural as they promote themselves as being - a lot of companies are guilty of this so I pretty much take it with a pinch of salt until I've read the ingredients list.

Kema, glad to hear that KOTM seems to have been good on your hair, even if you have other variables thrown in. I might give it a whirl when I'm in Lush next at some point. Your hair looks similar to mine - although mine is slightly longer and leans towards 3a at the bottom (but is mainly 2c).

Originally Posted by jillipoo
No, you're not the only one and a big reason why I asked why so many of their conditioners contained sodium lauryl sufate? You'll notice I got no response to that one.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

Originally Posted by msgiblet
Oh, this is totally a post by a Lush employee, make no mistake.

I used to work for Lush, the OP's sales pitch was taken almost word for word from our Lush training manual - this was pretty much the exact same pitch we'd be told to use on customers who were browsing our shampoo section. Plus, Lush corporate always wanted us to hit other message boards, going on and on about how awesome their products are. And some of them are - I still use only their facial skin care, soup to nuts. But their hair care leaves a lot to be desired if you're going CG. They're some of the most CG unfriendly products around, loaded with SLS. Plus, they're incredibly expensive - with as much conditioner as you need to go CG, even if Lush's products were CG friendly, they're nowhere near cost-effective.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.

Last edited by LisaF1163; 04-14-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Oh, and for her whopping two posts, her only other post is a Lush sales pitch on the hair color board:

I am not sure what state you live in, but if there is a Lush store where you live, I would recommend using their henna products. Their store associates are wonderful, at least in AZ, so they should be able to help you choose which would be best for you. If you don't have a store where you live, you can order online from lush.com. It's an amazing place, have a look around. I recommend all of their products (hair, face, body, bath, shower). Check it out!
Originally Posted by gloomgoddess8
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Yea...I agree that was a total plug.

I used their hair products when I wasn't CG and they were horrible. The conditioner for dry, unruly (or whatever) hair made it impossible to comb in the shower. I had huge, frizzy, dry (!) hair. Was a waste of my money.

I will say that lots of their products smell heavenly though...
2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products... Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
Uhm... but would their gels be considered CG friendly? I am running out of gel and Italy doesn't have that many CG friendly products...
2c/3a - Miii - Coarse - Low porosity I think