View Poll Results: Which is better -- Curls or Curl Junkie?
Curls is better. 8 32.00%
Curl Junkie is better. 12 48.00%
I like them both. 4 16.00%
I like neither of them. 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Curls vs. Curl Junkie Poll

If you've tried products from both lines, which do you prefer? Please elaborate. Or if the products are not comparable -- shampoo from one line and leave-in from other line, for example, what were your thoughts and are you interested in buying more?
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I've only used Curls products so I can't compare them. I look forward to the reviews though, as I have been wanting to try CJ for both me and my girls. I like the Curls products pretty well, but you know that ole PJ gets in the system and is like a tick - it won't let go!
3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour
I haven't tried both. I have tried Curls Spiral Creme and found it gave me the same results that Re:coil does. So if Re:coil quits working for me, I am running for SCC! LOL I recently got Whipped Creme, and don't like it as much yet. I have only tried it twice and think the issue is how much to use. It is giving me clumping and some definition, but my hair has more volume than I'd like and not quite the frizz control. However, after my issues with pink Boots I was afraid to use too much so I am slowly upping how much I use. So far no producty feeling!
I've only used the Curls products too. I have some Curl Junkie in the mail atm and am looking forward to using them. I've had no success at all with the Curls stuff I've tried, so I sincerely hope the CJ is better!
I've used both, but not necessarily comparable products from each line. Also, thinking about it, I find it hard to compare them. Finally, I don't think that I am the "target consumer" for either product line, so how valid are my opinions?

From Curls I've tried:
Naturally Enhancing
Curl Souffle
Spiral Cream
Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Conditioner

From CJ I've tried:
Samples of 2 shampoos (Chamomile Jasmine & Hibiscus Bliss)
Samples of pomades
Samples of curl creams
Give 'Em the Slip
Conditioner for thick hair
Hibiscus Banana DT
Curl Fuel

My comments about Curls: I found it difficult to determine which product would work best for my hair and it was frustrating trying to figure out how to get the best results from the products that I did try. I really liked the Spiral Cream & posted very positive reviews on it. But I had to stop using it because it gave me a rash--either the fragrance or a preservative in there. My main reason for no longer using Curls is because of ingredients. Getting a rash from the Spiral cream, and labeling errors on the bottles (which I know can happen to any company--no blame!) made it not worth it for me to continue to play with them. There is some vagueness in the ingredients sometimes, like "SPF" without specifying the UV filter used, which is a problem for me because of allergies. So: I stopped using Curls not because of the quality of the products, but because of frustration over ingredients.

CJ: I adore the DT, it's an HG for me. I also like the shampoos, but I try to keep shampooing to a minimum. Also love Give 'Em the Slip. Curl Fuel is like a liquid re:coil for me. I prefer this line of products because the fragrances are more muted, I have not had reactions to the ingredients, and the ingredient lists are easy for me to scan. It's also been easier for me to apply them.

I think Curls and CJ have different philosophies and are in different stages of their business growth.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
Castella, that was awesome! Very helpful since I haven't tried any of them CJ stuff yet. I'm kind of with you about the Curls though, the only Curls product that works consistently well for me is the CETC, now that I love!
3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
I like them both, but neither is a hG line for me.

Curls products are hit or miss. The prices are good and the ingredients (for the most part) are also good. Asian Hair tea conditioner is my favorite product, and I liked the coconut conditioner but wanted to try the cone free version. Her styling products are just so-so on my hair. Whipped cream was too heavy/greasy; Curls souffle and CurlyQ custard were much better on my hair, but neither was a must have or must repurchase product. Pure essentials and curl enhancing lotion are both solid moisturizers but not that special.

I have a bunch of Curl Junkie products but so far have only tried Give Em the Slip condish and the oil blends. The oil blends are not worth the money; IMHO, Jessicurl, Blended Beauty and MY Honey Child make better, and better priced, oil blends. But Give em the Slip is a high quality, lighter weight conditioner that I will repurchase - it is a winner. I have to test out the coco creme, olive pomade and other things in my stash, but think that her stylers are going to be too heavy.

Hope that helps - I guess what I am saying is that I like these lines for some of their conditioners, but not for the styling products.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
curls is occasionally an hg line for me. i use the curls ecstasy conditioner, the pure essentials and the enhancing lotion. (all the no-cones stuff). then it stops working and i have to cycle onto something else. i had high hopes for the curl junkie line, but it just left my hair feeling very coated & gross. (and this was with the "light" products.) heavy sigh. the search continues...
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
(watching intently) I really want to see what people say. I have neither, yet. Most of the products in the Curls line have Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone which I read are bad for you. A lot of the Curl Junkie ones have aloe and other really good ingredients, and look like they can work with the CG routine. Do people notice negative effects from the Curls products?
3c all the way! CG. Just started a new fotki album if you wanna see.

Favorite Cheapo routine: Sprite brand shower filter($40 lasts 3 months, then $29 for 4 refill filters), Trader Joe Refreshing Condish($3), Devacurl Nopoo occasionally($12 i think)
haven't tried curl junkie yet, but i really love the curls products. i use the curl ecstasy hair tea conditioner, curl soufflé, and spiral curls cream (not together, i pretty much alternate between the two). i'm also hoping to try soon the cleansing cream and quenched curls moisturizer. i love it all!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy
I'm a Curl Junkie lover. I have found 7 HG's in this line when I never even had 1 before.

I have tried the Curls styling products and liked them very much, but my hair got very crunchy and I never got to do the 2nd day hair thing. I really like the Hair Tea Mask, though. I get shiny, soft hair using this product.

I like Curl Junkie better because I need less product and get more curl definition, bounce, shine, very soft hair and up to 3rd day hair. These products just feel more high quality to me than Curls and the fragrances are softer, not as overwhelming as Curls. The conditioner/deep treatment are just lovely: the best I've used so far.
The Curls products I've used are:

-Curly Boost Spray
-Healthy Conditioner Thick and Luscious
-Olive Pomade
-Hibiscus Bliss Moisturizing Shampoo

This weekend I'm giving the Guava and Protein Deep Fix a try.

I have no idea how CJ works on 3b hair, though. My hair is 3c Kelis / Cree Summer -ish.
My 3C / OS / silky-cottony / Afro-Indian hair loves: H2O, honey, olive oil, Suave Coconut and pretty much the entire line of Curl Junkie products!
Damn, no consensus...

Originally Posted by Castella
Please elaborate.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Damn, no consensus...

Castella wrote:

Please elaborate.
Yeah ... you have to try them both! I like diff products from each line! CJ sells pretty small samples & I think you can get Curls samples, not sure. If you're OK with a fairly strong watermelon scent, Spiral is definitely worth trying. If you like detanglers, Give 'Em the Slip is great. What kind of product are you wanting?

Elaboration: Curls has been on the market longer than Curl Junkie and that makes a big difference. Curls seems to be expanding its customer base and building customer loyalty. Can offer nice perks like economy size bottles of select products, a broader range (stuff for adults, stuff for kids), purchase points, sales. Cranks out new products pretty quickly! I see Curls as being very customer/market-focused.

CJ is newer & exploring its niche. Needs time to get to know its customers & figure out logistics of growing to meet demand. I think CJ has brought out some very sophisticated products & offers more complex formulations than Curls...but will probably appeal to a more strictly defined group of customers (I'd guess mostly 4's and 3C and some 3Bs).

I'm just an obsessive PJ who stares at hair product sites a LOT & also took too many business classes.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
Spiderlashes - Since you like a lot of volume, I would recommend the Curls Pure Essentials and Curls Curl enhancing lotion combo. Avoid the whipped cream, soufle and curly q custard leave ins, which will only weigh your hair down. PE and the Curl enhancing lotion are light and moisturizing - you might get great results with just those two products!

Castella - Obsessive PJs unite!

Originally Posted by curltopia
maybe not. my hair isn't as curly as hers and i use the soufflé fairly regularly and it doesn't weigh my hair down. i can still get good volume with it. then again, nothing seems to weigh my hair down.
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy
Originally Posted by curltopia
Originally Posted by PixieCurl
Souffle is the lightest of the 3 Curls leave ins I told Spiderlashes to avoid, so you have a good point. But, your hair is thicker than Spiderlash's and I know that you like heavier conditioners and leave ins than she seems to like, which is why I made those suggestions. If she has time and money, she should experiment with all these products, but I think she wants short cuts...

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
i have tried both the Curls and the Curl Junkie line of products and i have to say that i prefer Curl junkie. The product that i liked most form Curls is the Asian Tea hair mask. i have tried the Whipped cream, Souffle, and the essestial moisturizer(something like that). Both the stylers left my hair coated, hard and too heavy, and i didnt even use alot. my hair is super thick so i thought this line would work but it didnt really. I like the smells but thats about it. i swapped both stylers.

I have tried the Banana and Hibiscus mask, CocoCoffee cream, and the Guava Curl cream( no protein version) from CJ. I am in love with the Banana mask because it gave me 2nd day hair which is hard to come by for me and it detangles and leaves my hair crazy soft. The stylers were pretty nice, both gave descent definition, smelled good, and moisturized pretty well.

All in all, Curl Junkie gets my vote.
Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much

I like both lines, or at least the few products I've tried in each.

For Curls I love the CEHT and the Spiral Cream is pretty good for me. I also like the Pure Essentials moisturizer which I believe it's now called the Quenched Curls moisturizer. I am looking forward to the Goddess Glaze debut as well.

For Curl Junkie I love the Daily Hair Conditioner Thick & Luscious (moisturizing and detangling) and I really like both of the DT's also; the Guava Protein one and the Banana Hibiscus moisturizing one. I also tried and liked the Hibiscus Bliss cleanser and liked that too. It made my hair and scalp feel clean but not dry at all.
2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
I find the Curl junkie creams to be more moisturizing. Curls whipped cream gives great hold.
4a/4b little 3c
I have tried both and vote for Curl Junkie. Curls line (whipped cream and EE moisturizer) did nothing for me. Curl Junkie works great!
"Eventually I knew what my hair wanted. It wanted to be itself. To be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was."
~Alice Walker