Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Thumbs up *GoW Majik Lockes and Seamollient*

Garden of Wisdom Majik Lockes and Seamollient Review:

Majik Lockes is supposed to be a leave-in conditioner but to me it seems more like a styling jelly and I LOVE IT!! It does have B5 and keratin proteins so it may be best for fine hair. I combine it with Seamollient which is an algae gel. Both products are very curl-enhancing, give my hair a lot more body, root lift, shine, bounce and ALL-DAY HOLD WITHOUT FRIZZ!!! I wish ML was cheaper( it is $15 for 4 oz) because I would use more of it as a styling gel but combined with my favorite AOMM and/or Seamollient it works well; my curls do not drop or frizz anymore. I recommend using it in sopping wet hair and start with a small amount of either because they have glue-like qualities. Even though my hair dries very crunchy, I can aggressively scrunch and diffuse without loosing any curl and creating frizz. These are by far the best products I have used!

*** I highly recommend to all fine haired curlies***
Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse Also: coconut oil

Last edited by Heather0kay; 05-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #2

Join Date: Apr 2009

Ooo, will have to look at these! I love GoW skincare but hadn't really thought to look at things there for curly hair.
rach427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #3

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

Sounds good, I haven't been on their website for ages as I'm trying not to be tempted by overseas products. I don't remember seeing majik lockes before - is it new? I have wondered about the seamollient in the past though as there was something on here ages ago about algae. Maybe I'll have to revisit.
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Join Date: Apr 2008

I think it may be newer; sometimes it is difficult to find things on their website. I may try to mix up a batch of ML myself to save money. You can also mix Seamollient with FSG 50/50 for better hold/body. So far I have mixed it with all of my products 50/50 and get great results ( I would be careful with stronger holding gels). Some use it as a rinse-out but I have not tried that yet.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I had a look and had seen the ML before, I remember being put off by the fact it had "animal derived" next to a couple of ingredients (though who knows what's in the products I usually buy that don't tell you where the ingredients come from!).
I'm sorely tempted to try the water-based serum I spotted though, I miss using serum on my frizz.
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

Join Date: Apr 2008

There is a vegetarian( veggie keratin) hair serum that is similar; I hear it is more moisturizing like the Healthy Hair Serum .The ingredients almost look the same. I will try samples of both next time!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #7

Join Date: May 2008

HeatherOkay - what is the website you get this product from? I am looking for a protein-rich leave and would be interested in trying it out.

Is it still working well for you?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #8

Join Date: May 2008

Never mind about the site, I found it.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #9

Join Date: May 2008

Seamollient seems to be an ingredient in the product. Did you add more to the Majik Lockes?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #10

Originally Posted by mpgirl View Post
Seamollient is actually a "registered" product that's added to a lot of products. It's a "blend of sea plants." Adding algae is "big" right now--ie, Komaza Califia.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me

Last edited by kathymack; 06-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #11

Join Date: May 2008

Thanks for clarifying that KM. I am going to try it as is but do you recommend adding more to the ML for more hold?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #12

Join Date: Apr 2008

I use a squirt of ML then I mix more Seamollient and my favorite gel then add that to my hair not for hold but I like to use a lot of product in sopping wet hair for curl formation and aid in styling. I think ML by itself has a lot of hold the more you use but it can glue my hair if I use too much , plus it is expensive so I use cheaper products with it. If I could, I would use straight ML more frequently because of the great hold.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #13

Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Join Date: May 2008

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the leave-in and the veggie serum. I need a good leave-in with protein. Great site btw!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #15

Originally Posted by mpgirl View Post
I haven't used the Garden of Wisdom products. I really like the Komaza Califia line that has the algae extract, so I ordered the Seamollient to add to my FSG and maybe try it with other products.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #16

Join Date: Apr 2008

I have tried the Seamollient as a rinse-out a few times now. I am not sure about how much conditioning it gives but it does leave my hair with a unique feel; kind of a clumpy but smooth feel which may aid in styling. Also, I tried the Healthy Hair Serum; it is a little more moisturizing with maybe a little less hold and volume than the ML and not so much crunch. I think at this point I prefer the ML to HHS because I need more volume and hold but they are both great products.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #17

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
Originally Posted by mpgirl View Post
Just posted in the FSG recipe thread. I added a teaspoon of the Seamollient to my FSG. Hair was great. Only used the FSG and a little gel, some KC Spiral Spritz before I went out--and my curls lasted all day. Even after being outside for four hours!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #18

helloitsio's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
Ooo! Good to know! I've used the seamollient before in my homemade vitamin c serum and mixed with some oil for my daily skincare routine but never though to use it in FSG. Something to add to my GoW shopping list!
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

Location: SoCal
helloitsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #19

whatsercurl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

So I looked to see where I might be able to source Seamollient ( I live 5 min from the ocean) in Canada.

Is it just me or is ironic that one of websites that offers it is Colorado Organics?

I should figure out how it's made and make my own.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
whatsercurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #20

helloitsio's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I stumbled across this old post on another forum I check out. Sounds interesting....

I made up a lovely batch of leave-in conditioner using seamollient, and have used this for the last week with great success. It hasn't been humid enough to see how it controls the frizzies, but it sure does keep curls well defined and just makes my hair "stand up" better.

I have very thick, spirally curls. [Think of that greek actress in CSI and Providence, my hair looks just like hers] - Naturally curly hair tends to run dry; I can't claim how this will work on oily hair, but if you substitute jojoba for the avocado oil, it may be more suitable.

Master Serum: This can be used as a base for after hair treatments and after shower moisturizing.

In a 4 oz. amber glass bottle with a pump dispenser combine the following ingredients:
1 oz. seamollient
1 oz. organic aloe vera gel
1 oz. rose geranium hydrosol
.5 oz. avocado oil
.5 oz. camellia oil
10 drops suprapein [preservative]
10 drops ylang ylang oil

Shake thoroughly before each use!

Leave in Hair serum:
Use a 1 oz. glass tub with lid [I used an old EpidermxII jar]

Fill the 1 oz. jar half way with seamollient, then fill it nearly to the top [be sure to leave some room!] with JB toner or rose-geranium hydrosol. Stir thoroughly with a wooden or plastic spoon. Now add 4 pumps of the master serum and mix again until blended. The suprapein can be rather strong - if the scent is still not quite what you like, add a couple drops of lavendar or geranium EO.

After shower and other hair treatments, I place a little bit of this treatment in the palms of my hands and distribute it through damp hair, then scrunch the curls. My curls are left defined, soft, and somehow my hair seems to "stand" up much better. I'll let you all know how this is still working after a month!
I'm still loving this! With the exception of camellia and jojoba oils applied to my hair after the shower, it's replaced all the commercial leave in hair products I used to use. Southern California has been experiencing extremely dry conditions and Santa Ana winds the last month. Even with the exceptional lack of moisture in the air, my hair has remained hydrated and shiny. I've learned not to apply too much, however; it'll get kind of sticky of you use too much, but then again if you want the wet look, this would work as a styling gel as well!

This same time last year when the Santa Ana winds came, my hair would get very dry by the end of the day. I used to hear it kind of crispy/crunch when scrunching my hair if that makes any sense!
I obtained majority of ingredients [hydrosol, carrier, aloe vera and essential oils] www.mountainroseherbs.com. They DO ship internationally! The seamollient and suprepein was purchased from www.gardenofwisdom.com. Not sure if they ship internationally, but the owner [Markey] is absolutely wonderful to deal with.

The "master serum" I mixed up in the 4 oz. glass bottle is about half way used; I don't refrigerate it. Whenever I run low on the mixture in my 1 oz. glass jar [about once a week] I mix up a new batch using the master serum, more hydrosol and seamollient. I go through the seamollient more quickly.

On a whim, I added some macedamia nut oil to this week's batch. Filled up my 1 oz. jar half way with seamollient, 4 pumps of master serum, the remaining half with macedamia oil and topped it off with rose hydrosol. So far so good, my hair is absorbing the oil and not left looking greasy at all. Just softer and smoother curls, which is all I ask for.
I already placed my GoW order for some seamollient, majik lockes, and the healthy hair serum to play with.
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity