Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #1

Join Date: May 2002
Default HELP! My favorite gel has been discontinued.

For years I've been using Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Gel and have just learned that they've stopped making it.
Does anyone have any that they don't use and would sell me? or does anyone know any good substitutes? The things I liked about it were that it was a mild hold, not at all crunchy (unless I used too much) and contained no silicones.
If anyone can make a recommendation for something else, I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #2

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Tried to pm you but your box is full. I don't have the Graham Webb gel, LOL, but others.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #3

Join Date: Jun 2009

Hi. I'm new but in the same boat. In fact, I joined because I came across the site searching for a replacement for Making Waves. It's the only product I have ever found that works well with my hair.

I've come across two suggestions for replacements:
  • Graham Webb Back to Basics (one person said it's the same as MW, but I'm not sure about that)
  • DevaCare Arc AnGell
I haven't tried either, but does anyone else know which one would be closest to Making Waves?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #4

RozettaStone's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007

Two suggestions: The Aura/Naturelle Hypoallergenic Gel from Sally's Beauty Supply. Really nice gel, leaves hair very shiny and soft.

But even better -- make your own flaxseed gel! It is the bomb. Easy to make, and you can adjust it to suit your prefs. See the Recipes board for lots & lots of info.
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
RC color
RozettaStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

Join Date: Jun 2009

Thanks for the suggestions.

Max, I did just order 4 things of Making Waves from here: http://www.101fragrances.com/

I can't vouch for the site, though. Never ordered from them before, but I am desperate.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #6

Join Date: Apr 2008

Kathymack, I sent you a private message. Thanks!

Christine
shampoo bars, GVP K-Pak, Abba Pure Gentle Leave-in, Mop curl cream, Babaii Mousse and BRHG
cfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #7

Join Date: May 2002

Thanks everyone for your input here.

RozettaStone, I'll be heading over to Sally's later today to check out your suggestions. Thanks.

Nhubs, I know what you mean - I'm really desperate, too. I never expected this! I checked with 101fragrances and learned that they still have it on their website, but they don't have any product (I'm sorry to break this news to you.....). thanks for the thought, but this seems like yet another dead end. How depressing!

I'll let you know if I learn anything new - and hope that you'll do the same.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2009

Yeah, they just emailed me and canceled my order. Very annoying. Oh well. Will keep you updated as well. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #9

curlygirl18's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by Max View Post
Thanks!
I just sold mine - too bad. But mine had silicones...that's why I sold it...
Condish Faves: GVP Condish Balm, GDLI, GTTTT
HG Stylers as of NOW: DMCCB, CJ CCCC, Boots, Re:Coil, SMU, BRHG
ABSOLUTE FAVES: KCP, CJ AF
curlygirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #10

Join Date: Aug 2004

Graham Webb's Making Waves hair gel was my favorite hair gel, too. Has anyone who liked that gel found a good replacement?

I've tried "Nexxus Exxtra Gel Style Creation Sculptor" ("creation sculptor"? *LOL* Over-the-top with the names there....) and "Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel". I don't like either one. The Nexxus seemed to really dry my hair out and the Clairol one seems drying, too.

I've read that Graham Webb's Back to Basics Curl Activating Gel is the same as Making Waves. I looked into it and the ingredients are different.

Help?
NaturallyCurlyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #11

Unhappy

I've been using DevaCare ArcAngel and am starting to like it quite a bit.
It has some plusses and minuses: it's not as firm as the Graham Webb - so second day hair isn't a guarantee. On the other hand, my current haircut is not so good, so i'm not sure if the problem is the gel or my hair. I also could probably use a bit more, but i don't like really stiff hair, so I haven't really tried that.
It's more water soluble, so if i wanted to do the no poo thing, i'd have a much easier time since it seems to wash out really easily. I'm not doing that, but i like being able to wash it off my hands without lots of soap.
My hair feels shiny and healthy with it, so while it's not a perfect replacement, i'm not miserable.
i don't like some of the other Deva products, so i'm glad i like this one.
I'd love to hear what replacements other people have found....
Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #12

Join Date: Aug 2004

Thank you for the reply, Max! I sent you a PM....
NaturallyCurlyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #13

Join Date: Jan 2002
Default Sebastian Gel Forte Strong Hold Gel

I just found out that this gel has been discontinued. I'm so sad! I've been using it for 10+ years and love it.

I called Graham Webb and they told me that the Sebastian Gel Forte Strong Hold Gel is the closest gel to Making Waves. I also asked them about the Back to Basics Gel and they said that that gel has also been discontinued.
sillyjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #14

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Here are some of the gels I like best ... I don't like really hard hold gels (i.e. BRHG) ...
  • Going Ohm Aloe Gel
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #15

thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #16

Join Date: Jul 2010
Default Has Anyone Found Anything?

Like you ladies, I searched the globe for the last bottles of Making Waves. And then switched to Back to Basics (not as good, but was as close as I could find). And now, I'm just using anything and everything I see and I have found nada. Please tell me one of you have found a replacement. I can get good Day 1 hair, but Days 2 and 3 are MISERABLE. Help!
EvaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #17

asugirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by EvaJane View Post
If you ladies truly don't want to be without, there are still people selling Making Waves gel on Ebay, but for a hefty price. Check it out if you haven't already
asugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #18

Join Date: May 2002

Thanks, Asugirl. I didn't know that.

I've still been using Devacurl Arc Angel and am getting used to it. If i want my hair to look extra good, i use 90% Arc Angel and 10% Making Waves. I find that's almost as good as Making Waves itself - and allow my Making Waves to last a lot longer.

I also find that if i use Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner, it helps my curl formation. On the negative side, i think it dries my hair out a bit, so i don't use it all the time.

Has anyone found anything as good as Making Waves?

I keep hoping someday they'll bring it back. Maybe we should all contact them....

Old 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #19

curlsAbound's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

I feel your pain. When they discontinued my fave gel - Citre Shine Curl Booster - I was so sad! I found it in the States when I was visiting and bought all five bottles on the spot from a drugstore! I have since found other great products - AOMM, Biolage Gelée, my own flaxseed gel etc, but it was a steep learning curve ... Happy experimenting, my fellow curly friend!
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
HG's
Poo/Condish:Desert Essences shampoo and conditioner, Biolage Deep Treatment, LiveClean moisturizing low 'poo/condish, Loréal NutriGloss Treatment
Leave in: BWC, HSH pumpkin potion, Aveda Be Curly style-prep
Stylers:
my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG; Aveda Phomollient + BeCurly curl enhancer; Biolage Gelée + AOMM, AG mousse gel

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For $5 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
curlsAbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #20

Join Date: Feb 2011
Arrow Devastated!

I'm so glad to find fellow curlies who feel the same way about Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Texturizer. When I found out they really discontinued the product, I literally felt sick to my stomach. I cannot even count the number of different products I have tried that are 'specially formulated' for curly hair, only to be disappointed again and again and AGAIN.

How could they do this?????? My PERFECT formula was a good squeeze of Making Waves, with a slightly smaller amount of the Silk Protein Leave In Conditioner....no kidding I could go to DAY 4 or (pushing it) even DAY 5 "dirty" and it would still look nice.

I will definitely be contacting Graham Webb. Probably won't do much good, but maybe just maybe if they hear from enough of us, they might reconsider. I'd make it at home if I could!

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!