Nexxus Protein Treatments

My hair loves protein, as do many fine haired curlies. I use it in my products and do frequent protein DTs. My hair is highlighted, but isn't really damaged (highlights are probably on 5% of my hair?) My hair just likes the protein treatments. I really liked the homemade one on this thread:

"Magic" frizz reducer treatment with * pics *

It gave me tight corkscrews every time I did it. I just couldn't stand the smell--teriyaki and curdled cream (heat is a big mistake with this one, LOL) all day. I will say that the Amino Acids are better then soy sauce for cooking--so no waste.

I went back to the Nexxus Emergencee and also tried their professional line--Aloxxi. There are three products and I've tried them all. I did a quick search for the ingredients, but didn't readily find them. My Emergencee is the old formula, the Aloxxi Emergency is closer to what I think the Emergencee new formula is like.

Emergencee--it's supposed to be a 2-3 minute treatment you do while in the shower
Alloxxi Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor--you are supposed to do ten minutes on damp, clean hair
Aloxxi Epitome-Botanical Reconstructor--this is a "light" spray treatment that is for pre color, but I did it as a protein treatment. For those who home color--I would think about it.

I did the Emergencee as instructed (in the past I've put it on dry hair and let it sit for about 15-20 min.) I did the Aloxxi ones on water dampened hair. I did the botanical for about 20 minutes and the Emergency for 10. I got the best results from the Emergency, but good results from all of them. I get tighter curls and less frizz. I felt best about using the botanical spray--the ingredients seemed nicer. I will definitely continue to use these products. I have to decide how often.

kathy, thanks so much for the info.
I'll have to try emergency. My sister has used it several times, and says good things about it. I wasn't sure for me as she has tighter curls. Her hair is actually relaxed. I'll give a shot. I dont really know if my hair loves protein. How would I know? hmm..
3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
hair seems to be moody.
Does not seem to like oils
Does not like protein or too much?
Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
kathy, thanks so much for the info.
Originally Posted by followmesky
Don't see your texture. Fine hair usually loves protein, medium tolerates it well and coarse hair reacts poorly to all but a few ones specific to that person's hair (in general, LOL!) If you use products that contain protein and your hair doesn't get strawlike or perks up--it likes it. Some conditioners like AOGPB or Island Naturals, Kenra, Elucucence, etc.

I am confused: I purchsed the Emergencee today; you wash your hair after using this product??
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Originally Posted by rudeechick
That's what the instructions say. I don't wash before or after, unless it's a soap bar day for me. Since I usually do it before I shower--mist hair and wide tooth comb through, I'll wash after, if at all.

I'm also wondering about the application process. I just bought some (first time) and plan to try it tomorrow. The bottle says to do the following:

1. poo
2. Nexxus protein treatment, 1-2 minutes
3. poo again
4. apply strong conditioner

Is step #3 necessary so that if you plan to leave your conditioner in your hair for a while (i.e., if you're doing a DT), by pooing again you thoroughly remove the protein from your hair first, so as not to overdo it?

I'm asking because I was thinking of following the protein treatment with KBB hair mask, left in for an hour or so. I'm worried that if I don't poo in-between, I'll inadvertently leave some protein on my hair for a whole hour.

My hair isn't damaged at all - it's very healthy, just a bit frizzy on day 2 - so I don't want to overdo it.

Any thoughts?
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
I don't know why they have you poo before and after in the instructions. As I said before, I usually don't poo before or after. I don't think I've had an issue with it not rinsing out of my hair. I've used it since last summer. I used to do it every three weeks. Someone said that they were doing it twice a week, so I've done it once a week for the last two or three weeks. I think that's too much for the Emergencee and the Aloxxi Emergency, not too much for the Aloxxi Botanical.

Originally Posted by kathymack
kathymack, did you get substantially better results using the Emergencee on dry hair than wet hair? And do you recommend 15-20 minutes rather than the 2-3 advised by the package instructions?
Originally Posted by kathymack
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I don't use it on "dry" hair--haven't in a long time. I mist with a sprayer. So my hair is damp. I have done it in the shower on wet hair for two-three minutes. I see better results doing it on damp hair for longer.

Kathymack,
When you say you don't "wash" your hair, do you mean you don't shampoo it?
I'm confused...so you mist your hair to dampen it, apply the Emergencee, leave on 15-20 mins, and then wash it out with conditioner?
2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
Kathymack,
When you say you don't "wash" your hair, do you mean you don't shampoo it?
Originally Posted by thick_n_wavy
Not quite. I mist my hair, apply one of the three Nexxus treatments. Let it sit ten minutes for the Nexxus Aloxxi Emergency, 10-15 minutes for the Nexxus Emergencee and 20 minutes for the Aloxxi Botanical Reconstructor. I get in the shower, rinse it out with water (unless it a day that I use a soap bar to cleanse, I almost never use shampoo) do a heavy rinse out, style using "heavy" products.

I used the old Emergencee yesterday on shampooed hair, as directed, then conditioned after. Protein seems to be my friend again. If the Aloxxi is anything like it I'll try it.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe
I think the Alozzi Emergency is even nicer.

When I use this I do shampoo prior, apply the nexxus, I leave it on 2-3 minutes, rinse, and then use a heavier conditioner-I will leave the conditioner on longer (I will use jessicurls weekly deep treatment or curl junkie curl rehab).

Eliminating extra moisture from my routine has helped with frizz a lot. Previously, I was over-conditioned and getting droopy, frizzy hair. Switching to a slightly heavier curl creme (CJ CCCC) with no leave-in eliminated most of my frizz.

But I was still getting some 2nd day frizz, even though I was using a hard-holding protein gel on top of my curl cream. Consequently, I decided to experiment with even more protein.

I did my first protein treatment last week and it went pretty well. I used Nexxus Emergencee, and left it in for 10 minutes. I also low-pooed before and after (following the instructions on the bottle) and then followed with a moisture DT: KBB hair mask left on my hair for an hour, followed by a cool water rinse.

The results are good but subtle. My hair is pretty healthy: I've never colored it, and it isn't damaged, though it is kind of long (BSL) and has had it's share of pulling, combing, being tied in a ponytail while exercising, and getting caught under my shoulder bag.

My goal was to eliminate 2nd day frizz. I've now had two 2nd days since the treatment with minimal frizz. Just a tad bit appeared on day 2 both times, but it disappeared as soon as I smoothed some CJ AF on my dry hair.

The dews/humidity were lower than usual this past weekend, so it's hard to tell whether the good hair I've been having is from the nice weather or from the protein + moisture DT treatment. I'll just have to see how it goes.

All I know for sure is that next time I use Nexxus Emergencee, I plan to wash the protein out a little sooner. The bottle said to leave it in for 2-3 minutes, and I left it in for 10. After I rinsed it out and low-pooed, my hair felt like straw. The subsequent hour DT with KBB hair mask restored my hair's softness. But it was a little scary in the interim!

Also, my hair is a bit less perky than it was before the treatment (though this isn't necessarily a bad thing - I'm pleased that it's not swelling with moisture and getting huge).

**cross-posted on high dew point product/support thread**
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
im sitting with this treatment in my hair now..been about 15 mins. i think they suggest u wash b4 using so it can penetrate better. hopefully it works well.that damn aphogee is too messy and funky
Where do you buy the Professional Aloxxi treatments???
My hair loves Emergencee! I got a sample from Kathymack and I was so happy with the results. My hair had more bounce and was less soft, but not dry. My hair's fine, and it just felt like it had more texture or something, hard to explain. I guess what I'm trying to describe is that it was less limp. It was shiny and less frizzy. Emergencee is definitely a part of my routine now - I just need to figure out how often. And maybe I need to try some others too! PJism anyone? LOL!
3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
fine texture, med porosity

Co-wash:
GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

Where do you buy the Professional Aloxxi treatments???
Originally Posted by bettinfla
I buy it online. Just do a search. I buy where ever they have the products I want--I rarely buy one or two things.

Originally Posted by likethegum
Emergencee is working well for me, too. I just tried it a second time last week. This time I left it in for about 5 minutes, and I think that was perfect. (I lowpoo'd before and after, and followed with 1 hour of KBB hair mask). My hair was very happy. I plan to do this bi-weekly during the summer.