Review of Devacurl Mirror curls

Just bought Mirror Curls and used it today. I followed the directions on the bottle. I have 3a with some 3b hair and I am always looking for shine. Here is my review.

The Good:
It smells like One C
It gave be big spiral curls

The Bad:
Small bottle for $25
Did not do anything for shine (which is what it is meant for)
Halo frizz

I used it alone because I wanted to see what it would do for my hair without another product. Myabe next time I will use it with Angell. HTH!
Starting my curly resolution! 3a/3b with some waves thrown in. Haven't been CG in a while. Need product suggestions.
Thanks for the review! Did it define or loosen your curl? Have you used it with a gel since this review? Were your results different/better, etc.?
pw: curls
3b/a
Cowash - No Poo, Suave Coconut
Conditioner - One Condition
Leave In - KCKT
Gel - KCCC at the moment
I too would love to know if anyone else has used this.. I love some of their stuff, but not all... and for $25, not sure....
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
I'll add my 2 cents. For the record, I have pretty curly 2c hair, meaning it's much more curly than wavy (could easily be mistaken for 3a on a good hair day), with medium texture and thickness and I *think* medium porosity.

Simply said, I hate this stuff. It makes my hair greasy and coated and just overall GROSS feeling. This is with one pump mixed in with my FSG (it advises you to mix it in with your styling gel on the bottle). I tried it the first time like a "normal" serum, meaning I put it on my hair (3 pumps) after my gels but before diffusing (this is how I use CK), and it was a nightmare. My hair looked and felt disgusting. So I washed it out and decided I'd try it a a different way today, by mixing just one pump in with my FSG and see how that worked. Bomb again. My hair looks flat and nasty, like I haven't washed it in weeks and feels soooo disgusting.

Also, I hate the smell of Deva products. I'm sorry, but I do. They smell exactly like rest area bathroom deodorizer (I've taken a lot of road trips so am unfortunately very familiar with this smell). I was loading the kids into the car today in the hot sun, and thought I must have stepped on a stink bug or something, but then realized it was MY HAIR I was smelling!!

Last but not least, the price. Holy crap, I don't know who these people think they are, charging $25 before shipping for 1.7 oz. of product (that equals 50 ml, or a shot glass and a half). All I can say is I'm so glad I didn't pay that for it, bless the poster who sold it to me for only shipping (you know who you are ). I would have been seriously p.o.'ed if I'd dropped that kind of $$ for this product.

I so wanted to like this product, but the fact of the matter is, I straight up hate it. I'll stick with my CK, thanks.
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. My hair hates protein, apparently.

Last edited by finch; 07-22-2009 at 12:43 PM.
I hated it, too. Greasy, awful stuff.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
Luckily I got the Devacurl Mirror curls for free with my Ulta points. But then again I wasted my points on this item.
It made my 3a hair frizzy and stringy looking with a dull finish when dried.
The container has been put at the back of my sink cupboard!
I am 2c/3a with a serious tendency towards frizzing/high porousity.

I have used almost every other product in the DevaCurl No-Poo line and this along with Heaven in Hair is my favorite.

My hair salvation and philosophy comes from being as absolutely pure and minimalistic as possible, so not every product this company has made suited me as there are still a lot of synthetic chemicals which, even though claimed otherwise, usually tend to build up on my hair (note also that I am not into frequent shampooing and usually only rinse and condition).

This, along with Heaven in Hair, does not at all feel like it has a lot of chemicals in it, does not feel like it is building up in my hair, and does not have a strong, lingering synthetic scent nor feel, but rather a very pleasant, light scent and leaves my hair feeling softer and more nourished. It also does add noticeable sheen to my hair.

Based on some of the other reviews, I would say that other people might be having issues due to product combinations. Again, I am a total minimalist when it comes to using product, so this was not an issue for me. Right now I'm pretty much using exclusively AOHR conditioner (both rinse, leave-in, and self-made spray for touchup), John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler, and Heaven in Hair about once per week for deeper moisture. I love my hair right now since its not hyper-treated, feels very natural, is not over-sculpted, and does not easily break-down/fall-apart/lose hold throughout the day as it tended to when I was using more products and more chemicals.

I just wanted to add that my using this product is after many years of product-junkying and trying nearly every single type of leave-in/treatment/sculpting/texturizing product I could find at the health food store so hopefully that adds some weight to my assessment.
natural CG for a very long time!

Cleanser: DevaCurl No Poo

high porosity
medium texture
medium to high density

Last edited by althaea; 10-13-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
So is the MirrorCurls supposed to be kind of like CHS Tweek? I'm curious now. I've been using the DevaCurl No-poo and Set it Free and having great success. Hmmmm, I believe I would like to try this.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
I did not like Tweek at all. I do like MirrorCurls. My stylist uses it as a shine serum. She used (and I use) literally one drop! One drop! Not even close to a pump. I emulsify the one drop in my hands and I use it on my bangs to keep them straight and flat, and on the canopy to smooth frizz and define clumps and curls.
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG

Originally Posted by solidgold
I agree with that - even though the label says to use several pumps worth - for me very tiny amounts work well.

By the way, in my previous reply, even though I truthfully state that I love this product, I don't want to say that it is a panacea for everyone. It could very well be that because of my unique hair texture/porosity that something in this product simply clicks well with my hair. But I can say that, having tried many, many other products which didn't click, it was really nice to find this one. I also have not had an opportunity to try some of the other more exotic products mentioned here so cannot compare against them.
natural CG for a very long time!

Cleanser: DevaCurl No Poo

2c/3a
high porosity
medium texture
medium to high density
I appreciate any reviews on any product, so thank you! i think it's good to hear positive and negative reviews so you can compare products according to hair types and textures. I also like to see how others use their products. If/when I try this product I will keep in mind to use a little the first time and see how I like it. Thanks again for your input!
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
I haven't been able to figure this one out. But I may have just been using too much of it; I'll give it another try. solidgold, how do you use it in relation to your other products, and do you use it on wet or dry hair?

I also don't think this is anything like tweek- which, fwiw, I couldn't get to work either.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
I wonder if Deva meant to put "use 2-3 drops" on the label vs. 2-3 pumps. I can't imagine puttting that many pumps of it in my hair, especially at that price.
all these comments are great but to help the broader community - we need you to also submit on the product page here:http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlpr...rl-mirrorcurls
Gemini, I use MirrorCurls on dry hair as the very last thing like a finishing serum. Just to SOTC and smooth frizzes and define curls.

Oh gosh!

$25 (or was it $26?) on a 1.7 ounce bottle?! What a rip off! I would use it all in one day!

My goodness...these hair care brands really know how to make money...
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
I only used mine 1x so far.
To be fair I can only say:

When I'm staying in all day and night I'll try it again.

Probably used too much. But one to two drops?
How do you spread it all over your hair with so little?
I have alot of thick long bush here.
I thought it was a serum ya know like spread it all over dry hair to make it shine?
I got an icky sticky mess.

Any tips from those who like it?
3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
Diffuse 70% dry
Location: Pompano Bch Florida

NEW PICS
Oh gosh!

My goodness...these hair care brands really know how to make money...
Originally Posted by botticelli_girl922
I got mine for $16.00 at the beauty supply store (Hair Cosmopolitan). I actually love the smell, which is weird because I'm not all that fond of the Deva smell. Anyway, it does give me frizz if used alone on dry hair, but for 2nd day hair, I mix a pump with Devacurl Set It Free and a little bit of sheabutter and am good to go. Did I say I love the fragrance? I also throw a little into the mix if I'm doing dry twists on 3, 4, or 5 day hair. Because by then my hair needs a little smell refresh.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
IamDonna: try emulsifying just a couple drops in your hands to distribute it and then smoothing it over the length of your hair, like you were gathering it all to put it in a ponytail. For me, MC just adds shine and kills frizz.

Originally Posted by solidgold
Thanks for the help Solidgold!
I'll give it a try.
I can easily carry it in my purse it's so small.
B4 coming to this site I used serum (cones) everyday for the frizzies and shine.
3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty