Ecostyler Krystal Styling Gel Product Review

Jumped on the Eco Styler bandwagon and purchased a tub of the olive oil version this weekend. Was tempted because I read that this is a quick sub for KCCC, my holy grail product which just ran out. I mixed the gel with my normal leave, couple drops of moroccan oil and and I applied to dripping wet hair this morning.

I am hopeful that this will work as well as KCCC and give me the definition and style longevity that I get with KCCC. It definitely is easier on the wallet that KCCC.

Thus far, it has produced more loose, longer looking, rapunzel type curls from me than KCCC which gave me really, defined 3C, tight curls. I seem to have more 3B type curls. I definitely have kept my length with this prodoct.

We will see what happens in the next day or so. But, for the money, it is a definite winner. It is interesting that using different products will produce different looks.
3C and natural for 5 years.

Last edited by msgdfx1; 11-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
I haven't used my Ecostyler (Olive Oil) in a while because I was having some hair issues. The one thing that I don't like about it is the thick texture so I decided to make a spray gel out of it. I thought I would start off with a 50/50 mix....but the gel kept getting thicker...dumped out about half of the bottle...added more water...gel kept thickening...I did this atleast 6 times!!! I think I finally got it to be semi-sprayable but will have to check it again and see if it thickened up on me again . Wow, next time I will start with a couple of teaspoons and see how that works. Not sure yet how the spray gel is going to work but will report back.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
I just dredged up this old thread after doing a search to see if anyone else has tried the combination of LOOB and Eco Styler Krystal (Is this the only product on these forums without an acronym???)

I bought the Eco Styler last month and had tried it a couple of times with poor results. I think it was probably over FSG, but I can't remember for sure. I just know it left my hair undefined and fluffy. So I shelved it.

Then the other day I bought some LOOB to try. My plan was to use it by itself the first time, but after I got it in my hair, I could sense it was going to need something more. LOOB has a sticky, goopy, glue-y consistency similar to the Eco Styler, so maybe that is why I thought of combining them... anyway, I grabbed the tub and scrunched some in over the LOOB.

The whole time it was drying I was thinking it was going to be a disaster... but it wasn't! To my surprise, I SOTC and it turned out amazing. I even got my best ever second day hair with it! I used the same combo again last night, slept on it crunchy, and had really good morning hair that just needed a shake to fluff.

My routine was:
Giovanni Direct leave in
Wrap hair in a loose towel while getting dried off.
Rake through LOOB, then scrunch all over (I like the scrunch-n-pump technique). Let that set up 1-2 minutes.
Scrunch in EcoStyler
Scrunch out water with a microfiber towel
Clip and air dry
SOTC when dry

So try LOOB with Eco Styler if you haven't already!

Curlykey - What was the result of your Eco spray gel experiment? I have been wanting to make a spray gel, but not sure which of my gels to try with it.

So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
Originally Posted by mesue
It actually worked great. You only need a little bit of the Ecostyler. Start out with say a teaspoon first and about 8 oz of water and see if you need more. HTH.
Originally Posted by curlykey
Thanks. Did you just use tap water? Did you boil it or anything, and if so do you mix in the gel while it's warm?

Originally Posted by mesue
I used bottled water at room temp. It may work better if you use warm water....hmm that's a thought.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
So I just rediscovered the awesomeness of ecostyler! I bought two tubs of it a while back and used it for about a month but for some reason I just stopped. That was around September. The other day I saw my ecostyler in the back of my closet while I was cleaning. I couldn't I had totally forgot all about it. Lately, my usual routine has let me down so I decided to experiment with the gel. Well, I am super duper glad I did I am currently on 3rd day hair and my curls are still super defined and shiny. Some frizz but I don't mind. I could probli even get some 4th day hair (first time everrrrr) if I weren't planning on doing a PT and DT tomorrow. This just might be my new staple product.

So, I did my usual co-wash with V05, and then applied my leave in, which is CJ smoothing lotion (absolutely amazing btw). Depending on my mood I might seal with JC's nourish and shine. Whether I do or not doesn't seem to affect the end results. Anyways, I then sectioned my hair into 5 parts and applied re:coil in each section by raking and smoothing. Now here's where I decided to experiment. I wet my hands in the sink and then scooped out some ecostyler. I rubbed the gel in my wet hands and then scrunched it into my hair. I diffused as usual and then SOTC with norish and shine. Aaamazzing results. My hair was super shiny, my curls were ultra defined, yet still soft and I had volume. My bf even noticed and commented on how nice my hair looked . Stamp of approval!
Trying CG for the 2nd time. Been going strong since Feb 2010. Wish me luck!

3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
DT - CJ Rehab

PT-
CJ Repair Me
Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie

Originally Posted by curlykey
Thanks! I did try it using boiled water that had cooled almost to room temp but was still a little warm. I used a mixture of gels, though, and not just Ecostyler. LOL... I just can't keep it simple! But it works fine.

So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

Does it have protein in it?
Me: medium/coarse, porosity??, high density 3b curls
Daughter: medium/coarse, porosity??, high density 3c curls (with annoying 2c curls in the nape area and sides )

"Poo": SheaMoisture Moisture Retention Shampoo
CoWash: Tresemme Naturals Advocado & Aloe Vera Conditioner
Condish: Tresemme Naturals Advocado & Aloe Vera Conditioner
Leae-In: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
Style: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie with a dab of Eco Styler Gel
Yes, all of the Eco Stylers have wheat protein.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Does anyone know if this works for type 2's?? I'm a 2B thanks
2B - Just below BSL
CG as of 7/11

Low Poo - GioSAS, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Shampoo
Co-wash- Suave Coconut
Rinse out - GioSAS codish, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Codish, Alterna Caviar Codish
Currently auditioning the following products - BRHG, Ecostyler Argan Oil, SMSmoothie, Dep Sport Gel, LaBellaLotsofCurls, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Mask, LI & Potion, LOOB, Aussie Sydney Smooth....Just want frizz free waves w/ some curls...
Does anyone know if this works for type 2's?? I'm a 2B thanks
Originally Posted by Waves84
I mean you'd might have to dilute it cause it's thick and might pull out your waves but it has awesome hold.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
I am a 2b and it worked fairly well for me. I learned that I need to use more and apply it while hair is very wet. Tonight I went to another Sally's and got the Argan Oil version.

eta: My hair prefers thicker goopier, gloppy gels. Thin, runny ones flatten my curls.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
It's been almost 2 years since I first tried Ecostyler, and it is by far my favorite hair gel. It gets rid of frizz without making hair crunchy or stringy and a huge jar only sets me back $3.

I use it with KCCC when my hair needs extra moisture, but the gel is also great on its own. I picked up the olive oil version at Sally's this weekend, and I think I like it even more than the Krystal.
Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
Anyone still using this?? What are your favorite combos? TIA.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, FSG, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Anyone still using this?? What are your favorite combos? TIA.
Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls
I'm currently using it with Biotera gel over it. Eco Styler gives me great clumps, but I need a tad bit more hold than I get with Eco alone.

I'm getting ready to experiment with CiaB under Eco Styler.

I love this stuff! It is goopy and gives me mega clumps, and it's inexpensive!
2b/c
fine, low/ normal porosity, med density, normal elasticity.
Dislikes: Aloe by itself, polyquat 4
Low poo (used rarely): CJ Curl Assurance
Co-wash: CJ Daily Fix
Condish: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
Stylers: CCCCL, SCE FSG, SCE CHHE
PT: IA Girls PT w/ mag. sulfate, CJ Repair Me
DT: CJ Rehab or Deep fix
I've been using EcoStyler Krystal over FSG with "meh" results. I like it for 1st day hair, but my 2nd day hair doesn't hold very well. I want my combo to give me 1st and 2nd day hair. Plus, I have to super soak to distribute the Ecostyler well because of how gloppy it is, and I don't usually supersoak.

Based on what I've read here though, I am going to do a little experiment tomorrow and instead of FSG, I am going to use EcoStyler as the styler instead of the gel, and use LALSG as the gel over it, and see how that goes. I'm going to use vitamin E oil as the sealer under the EcoStyler, because I find Ecostyler a little drying, but my hair is dry in general and I want it to feel moisturized on day 2, not just on day 1.

For the price, I will continue to experiment with EcoStyler, because you can't beat the price, but I am really hoping my hair takes to it more than it has. I need to work more with it and figure it out.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
I absolutely have found my staple gel. Eco styler with argan oil is great I need the thick globs of hold. I have a mixture of 3bc curls all over my head.

Now my issue is what leave in is going to part of my regimen. I have heard mixed reviews on silicone products and I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
eh. i've tried ecostyler several times over the past years and it's never worked for me.

it has always been too light. the hold is not strong enough no matter how much product i use. at the end of the day, my hair always looks big and puffy.
Updated April 6, 2010

CG Method

Type: 3b
Porous, normal elasticity, and coarse texture

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Styling: CJ, jojoba oil, KCCC
DT: CJ Curl Rehab, CR Algae Deep conditioner
Vangrey, I have the same problem.

Ok, so yesterday I tried this experiment where I used Ecostyler as my main styler (instead of FSG) with LALSG over it. It dried ok, with minimal frizz. I got narrower curls, not as clumpy, which I am not thrilled about. It looks fine but I do like nice, fat curls. I seem to get fat curls only with creams, and I am not using creams at the moment because they cost too much. So I'm resigned to skinnier curls. I was hoping Ecostyler as the styler and not the gel would get me back to plump curls, but no such luck.

Anyway, after my hair completely dried, the frizz started coming back. It wasn't totally frizzy, but I get less frizz with FSG. Bigger problem: flakes. The combo of Ecostyler and LALSG gives me flakes and makes my hair look kind of dull and dirty. I didn't like that. It also felt dryer. I used a sealer (vitamin E oil) underneath the Ecostyler too.

My hair is still up in it's bonnet today, but I don't have high hopes for 2nd day hair. I mean, I'll get 2nd day hair regardless because I'm not going to wash it again today, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy with it.

So this combination of Ecostyler with LALSG is a bust. I wonder if it's the glycerin in both that is flaking on me? I just did not like the "dirty" dull look. It made me feel as if I hadn't washed my hair in days, and I had just washed it that morning
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C