Ecostyler Krystal Styling Gel Product Review

Is Ecostyler Kristal available at Sally's in UK?
3B-A, colored, med texture-density, High porosity

DT: AOHRS - CJHBDF - Mixed Chicks
Loo-Poo 2/week: Eluence volume,YTT-YTC poo, Co-wash 2/week: Suave Tropical - V05 Strawberries (water wash the rest)
Conditioner: Mop Top, Toe Shea, AOHRS, AOGBP
Leave-in:KCKT , Darcy Peach Kernel, Aloeba,YTT/YTC co,Christine Grant LI
Stylers: KCCC, CJ CCC, DMMC, Mixed Chiks, BB Jellie Creme, HESMU, Mop Top gel, HPO curling pudding

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/zenalla1/ (updated in June 2010)
PW: mixedcurly
Is Ecostyler Kristal available at Sally's in UK?
Originally Posted by zenalla
I'm not sure. You may have to check online.
LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
Has anyone tried the other two versions; black tub w/ protein, clear tub w/ olive oil?

They're 2 for $7 this month at Sally's.
Originally Posted by lazy loops
The olive version has the same hold number (10) as the krystal clear but it DOES NOT work the same on my hair. It feels different in consistency and performs with a lighter hold. To me, the olive oil version is similar to the pink version (hold rating 7). There are several utube vids up that note this same thing.

@ Hakim Nuraldin - I totally agree with you
Originally Posted by hippychic
Oh, OK. Thanks.
Ran out to Sally and picked some up after reading this earlier. It was on sale, not being able to resist a sale I picked up 2 liter buckets of it for $7!!!! I will post back my review after using it a few times.
Luv the brown one so far. I'll be trying the Krystal one on Saturday.
OMGoodness, I love Ecostyler clear gel. It defines and holds my curls. I use a lot and it does not dry hard. It has been a godsend since I was getting frustrated at times with my varied textured hair.
Hair: coarse texture; low porosity; normal density and elasticity
So far I have mixed feelings about the Ecostyler Krystal. It makes my hair soft, feels really good, smells nice...but it doesn't really define my curls. I feel like it relaxes them a bit...not all bad, but not smooth and defined. I really don't want to use a gel over a gel, and KCCC is much nicer thus far. When y'all are saying you use "alot", how much are we talking about here? I thought I was using alot (a few quarter-sized blobs), but maybe I need a handful? I'm afraid it will become too producty, though...any input? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla
My hair is normal porosity, dense and coarse with 3c and 4a. I use about a half dollar size on eight sections (imagine hair parted in middle--nape in two sections, middle in four sections and front in two sections. I typically put it over a conditioner and oil. I apply the gel after I have used my denman to distribute conditioner and oil.
Hair: coarse texture; low porosity; normal density and elasticity
Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla
I bought the Ecostyler Krystal after reading this thread, and I'm pretty happy with it. I use a palm full, and I have just-about-shoulder-length hair. It works pretty well with Rudee's Super Soaker method!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

I am so glad you started this thread. I love KCCC, but I'm only on my first tub. I think one tub may last me a year, since I don't use KCCC every day, so the price doesn't bother me that much. Still, if they ever change the ingredients in KCCC or it becomes hard to find, I would try EcoStyler Krystal.

Does EcoStyler Krystal come in a tube or a tub?

Do you use something over it for hold? Asking, because I get consistent great curls all day with KCCC/BRHG combo.
Originally Posted by curls2grow
It's a huge 32oz tub. It seems to perform very similarly to KCCC, but it's also a holding gel, so you might be able to get away without another gel on top. And at $3.50 for 32oz, you have very little to risk by trying. Also, Sally's has a very good return policy.
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Tigi MM
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

Hi all!

I've been using Eco Styler Krystal for about a week or so now. I even tried using KCCC one day then Eco the next and I have to say that at least on my medium fine 3a/b hair it seemed to be better in terms of curl and definition. I did use some LA Looks Sports Gel (Blue) and it gave me the absolute best hair day, even better than KCCC. I'm new to KCCC and jumped on that bandwagon but the price was too much for me to let myself get to much in love with it. I did get a ginormous tub of the EcoStyler Krystal its a 5lb or 7lb tub of it for $7.49 with my pro discount. They didn't have a smaller size of it. Quite the price break from KCCC which is $30 for 16oz plus shipping. Eco Styler has given me my HG days and soft defined curls. I know it is a weird consistancy but it dries soft with no frizz even with LA Looks sports gel. I'm loving Eco Styler Krystal gel, its da bomb!

Hugs!

Nora
______________
3a/3bcurls, blonde, color treated,med fine.
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals & White Rain Conditioners,VO5 Moisture Milks, Burts Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo

RO= GVPCB,Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholestrol& Mango conditioner
LI= Herbal Essence Hello Hydration,VO5 Moisture Milks.
DT= JC WDT, GVP KPAK

Styling: FSG,,Ecostyler Krystal Gel, LALSG,&AfroVeda Curly Custard, Cocolatte Moisture Mask, Pur Whipped Gelly
I guess this is a no-go for me. I do like how my hair looks, even with less curl, but I really don't care for the producty feeling I'm getting. It worked better when I used more gel, but it just feels...yuck...I'll continue to experiment, but today I used my got2b spiked gel-nothing else-and I'm much happier...
I got my tub today cant wait to try it. I really need to get to sallys more often.
I tried this one today. I'm not sure what to make of it, honestly. I like my hair today, but it's...different or something. It does relax some of my curl, but I think that's because it's such a moisturizing product. It really does make my hair beautifully soft, and my hair does have shine. I wonder if, because it's so moisturizing, I should try it without a leave-in? There is some very mild surface frizz, but I always get that unless I use CK, which I have had to take a break from because of how drying it is on my hair.
I am amazed how well this works. I got great curls very little frizz and no crunch. It is alot like kccc. I think I will have to try a gel over it because I got no hold with it but my hair clumped better with this than any other product I have used.
Krystal worked good too but different from the brown. I mixed the brown with AOMM but tried the krystal alone over my leave-in. My curls were a little limp so next time I will use less & mix it with AOMM.
After using it a few times I can say that I will be sticking with it. I use it on top of ISO bouncy creme and CK. I'm still just starting out with having my hair curly daily so I am intending on trying all sorts of products along the way (don't want to miss anything spectacular) this for now at least will be "usual" routine.
I know I already reviewed this, but I just wanted to say that the more I use this, the more I like it (I like the brown gel as well). This is simply the most unusual gel I've ever run across. I said before that it relaxes my curls, but I'm not really sure this is the case. The reason is because I spend so much time scrunching to enhance curl, and I've always used AVG as a gel which really ups the curl factor, I wonder if the gel is simply giving me my true curl pattern? Just a thought...

Anyway, there is SOME crunch when it dries, but definitely not much. I was having trouble where I couldn't get all the crunch out of my ends with other gels and CK, which made my ends look weird. Not with this stuff. I use quite a bit of it, and there is no producty feeling at all when I scrunch it out after it's dry, and I get soft, shiny curls with little frizz. Right now the dew point is 71, the humidity is 97% (somebody kill me now. I HATE feeling sticky), and my hair has soft, pretty, shiny, defined curls with, again, some frizz, but my hair still looks GOOD --and I've been working all day in a muggy environment. Normally, my hair would be horribly frizzy and sticky by now, and it would look producty and awful. Today I only did an EO conditioner rinse and EO Hair Repair as a leave-in, and then used this gel. That's it. If this keeps working like it has been, this will definitely be my HG. I cannot believe such a cheap gel is working so well.
JLeighs, I sort of shelved this gel for lack of hold factor & producty feel, but you're making me want to revisit sooner rather than later, lol! Thanks for updating .
Ecostyler Krystal Styling Gel is THE best gel I've ever used....and I've tried...HUNDREDS!!!
I have been using this gel for the last 8 years. I believe so strongly in this product that I went into a panic one day when one of the women working at the beauty supply store I buy it from, told me the company was going out of business. I have been buying it by the case ever since. I love that it's not too light but doesn't weigh my hair down either. It leaves my hair sparkling, bright and shiny. It doesn't flake nor does it get dull or gray. My curls have bounce and every curl is defined. When I meet anyone who asks me what I use on my hair, I can't say enough about it.
Another plus I've found it has is, when I'm traveling and wake up on the plane, train or in the car and there's no access to a shower... all I have to do is spritz my hair with a little water and BANG...the same shine, bounce and curl for the entire day! A fantastic product at a fantastic price!

Last edited by sadiesadie08; 08-26-2009 at 06:51 AM.