-   -   Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner (regular not the treatment) (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/85195-joico-k-pak-reconstruct-conditioner-regular-not-treatment.html)

redcelticcurls 09-06-2009 04:45 PM

Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner (regular not the treatment)

So, as I have found myself being able to tolerate more and more protein this summer, I wondered if I could take some keratin in my regular routine.

I have the Sally's version of the K-Pak reconstructor. But, I like to keep my mineral oil usage as low as possible.

Joico has a regular K-Pak conditioner, and I tried out the airline carry-on size and liked it. Then I used the regular bottle, and I still like it. So today, I bought the jumbo bottle.

Here are the ingredients:

Deionized water (aqua), stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, cetyl alcohol, glycol stearate, ceteth-2, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, hydrolyzed human hair keratin (quadramine complex), laurdimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed human hair keratin, hydrolyzed keratin PG-propyl methylsilanediol, thioctic acid, psidium guava fruit extract, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, tocopherol acetate, oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil, aleurties moluccana (kukui) seed oil, glycolipids, allantoin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, benzophenone-4, hyaluronic acid, cetrimonium bromide, disodium edta, PEG-20 almond glycerides, sodium chloride, myristyl myristate, citric acid, glyceryl stearate, fragrance (parfum), sorbic acid, keratin amino acids, PEG/PPG-20/23 dimethicone, glycerin, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, methylparaben, polyparaben

The bolded are silicones.

Here are what some of the other things do in case anyone asks

stearamidopropyl dimethylamine - conditioning. This link talks about how it maybe chosen because it does not build up the way polyquats can.

glycol stearate - produces a pearly effect

ceteth-2 - emollient, conditioning agent, emulsifier

ceteareth-20 - emulsifier

butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane - aka avobenzone - sunscreen

I usually avoid myristyls and glycerin. But, they seem to be low enough down to not bother me at present.

I have been using this stuff all summer to an increasing degree and now am using it just about every time I condition. I have not been having buildup issues from the two cones. The one is PEG/PPG modified, so I know it won't be a problem. I'm not sure of the status of the keratin 'cone. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean twice a month.

I am really enjoying the sleek feel and the curl perk I've been getting with this conditioner. My hair does seem to respond really well to keratin. I have had no curl droop at all with this.

Now I wonder if I need to call my hair medium instead of medium coarse, lol.

DEL2C 09-06-2009 06:33 PM

Great and thorough review RCC!! Yes you apparently love Keratin. This is funny too because last time I did my K-pak treatment was not good. It was still during our high dews but my hair was all freaked out for days. That was going 2wks between treatments. I do get protein from other sources though and I've had bad reactions to Keratin in the past. So, I won't be trying this conditioner :lol: I don't necessarily think that you aren't Med Coarse because your hair likes Keratin. I use conditioners with mild proteins like Amino Acids and I use BRHG regularly. My hair is most definitely without a doubt Coarse and I don't have issues.

redcelticcurls 09-06-2009 06:39 PM

Funny, I still can't handle other proteins, but my hair does love the keratin. Loves it.

I guess you have been using more aminos than I realized!

The two silicones do not seem to be causing an issue either, and that is a relief. I couldn't find much out about the solubility of the first one. But, since my hair has tolerated it so much this summer, I figure it will work for me, whatever type it is.

This is *not* for the all-natural crowd, lol. I had to look up what many of the things were, so I figured I'd better put it in the review because someone will probably ask.

We'll see how it works as we work into fall and then winter. But, I sure do love this in the summer.

Ondulee 09-08-2009 07:50 AM

thanks for the review RCC, I was looking at this the other day and really wanted to buy it,but I didn't know what most of the ingredients were. My hair loves keratin too so I will be picking this up to go along with my occasional K-Pak treatment.

redcelticcurls 09-08-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Frizzly (Post 1093814)

Yeah, I didn't know what half of them were either, and I am usually pretty up on that type of thing. I had to do lots of googling, lol. I figure I'd better explain some of the ingredients.

Magoo 09-09-2009 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting about this RCC! I've been wondering about other Joico products since my hair also seems to respond well to keratin.
I will have to give it a try.

WurlyLox 09-09-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls (Post 1092552)

I guess you have been using more aminos than I realized!

How'd you even know it was a silicone?! Just generally investigating the ingredients? It sure doesn't fit the usual rules/tips for recognizing them.

redcelticcurls 09-09-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by auntnett (Post 1095253)

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls (Post 1092552)

Lol!

I googled it along with half of the ingredients list. The "silane" part of that ingredient made me curious.

I found it here.

WurlyLox 09-10-2009 08:23 AM

You're a better [wo]man than me, Gunga Din!

redcelticcurls 09-10-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by auntnett (Post 1095850)
You're a better [wo]man than me, Gunga Din!

Nah, I'm just sorta nerdy that way.:read2:

Magoo 09-10-2009 03:13 PM

RCC, when you say the airline size bottle do you mean a sample size bottle? Where did you buy it?
The Rite Aid near me only carries the big bottle and I'd rather start off small in case my hair doesn't like it.

redcelticcurls 09-10-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Magoo (Post 1096339)

Yes, it was about a 2oz size or so. I got it at Ulta.

Magoo 09-11-2009 04:02 AM

Thanks! :hello2:

Ooh, I'm excited! A new product to try! With my picky hair, it's not often I get to experiment these days. It does curb the PJ though.

Suburbanbushbabe 09-11-2009 10:08 AM

RCC, thanks for the thorough review. I think I'll try this. I finished my Nexxus Emergencee and since I'm tolerating protein better these days too, this may be a good thing. I'm also prudently using cones as well.

It's a regular conditioner right, since you use it every time? I think rather than protein sensitivity last year, I experienced a protein overload. If I recall it happened after I had used Sebastian Penetraitt twice, and then tried Magic Botanicals conditioner which had keratin. I think a combination in those 2 were the tipping point.

I think the amount of protein is also key. I use Robert Craig, Mop Top, Loma, etc. and they all have some protein content, but not as a first 5 ingredient.

BTW you look like a goddess with that hair down your back!

redcelticcurls 09-11-2009 11:27 AM

Thanks SBB! :)

Yes, this one is a regular conditioner. It's sort of confusing because the name is similar to the treatment.

For whatever reason, as instantly straw as other proteins get me, keratin is as well and good for me. The cones in this haven't given me an issue as of yet either.

Magoo, I hear ya on the PJ curbing! I should be thankful I guess, lol.

redcelticcurls 03-07-2010 01:18 PM

bumping for MirCurls

MirCurls 03-07-2010 01:57 PM

Oooh, for me??? :)

Yeah, me gonna get. There's a GBS Beauty customer appreciation day coming up, and I was gonna drop by anyway, so I'll pick it up then. I only like to buy Joico and stuff at places that are salons or authorized, just to be safe. I learned the hard way that ebay is NOT a good place to try to save on pricey products. Asia-created fakes abound. So, now I'm suspicious of any unauthorized seller, be it one on amazon or online or not.

My hair likes protein. I'm not experienced enough to know if one protein is iffy and another bad for my hair or not, but whatever is in K-Pak has always made my hair feel dreamy (though I used to only get it sporadically in the salon/my hairdresser's and didn't until this month buy to do at home in regular intervals.)

I am mostly "natural", but after trying multiple natural deep treatments, I got tired of not having the ragingly good results K-Pak gives me, so I caved. And, yes, great result. So, I'm willing to try the rinse conditioner and add it to my toolkit full of the natural stuff. As someone with multiple sensitivities, natural is not always better (ie, I have many food and plant allergies).

Definitely a "must try" for me.

redcelticcurls 03-07-2010 02:14 PM

The ingredients list is intimidating, but hey, if it works for me, it works for me, lol.

I'm glad that I found out that one was just a different name for avobenzone, since some people have skin sensitivities to it in sunscreens.

I have seen the airline sized bottles at Ulta, so that may be worth a look too if you have an Ulta near you. I think it was a 2oz size?

MirCurls 03-07-2010 02:40 PM

Well, I do have a bit of a rash on the back of my neck since Friday, so I actually MAY be sensitive to something in the K-PAK. I do it so infrequently, that I'm not overly concerned about the DT, but I may worry if I use something like it frequently. However, I did use heat, as well, and the combo of product and heat may be the reason I got the rash (which is now Benadryl-ed and Aveeno-ed) :) Since I never got the rash at my hairdresser's, it could also be a reaction to the new hair bonnet dryer (the plastic bonnet or having it tied tieghtly around my head). At this point, don't know. Could be the sweater I wore out, could be my menopausal sweats (which we've been having a chilly front, so why the heck am I sweating at night???) haha.

I did the strand test, and I'm MUCH MUCH less rough going ends-to-root, so this protein treatment stuff is amazing. The rinse out condish--hope I don't get rashie, but I do want to give it a shot.

WurlyLox 03-08-2010 10:02 AM

You ladies may not know about Spiral Solutions by our own Runnerchicki since it's mostly been discussed in the 2 forum. She has a wonderful protein treatment with keratin that you might be interested in. Check out her Etsy site:

www.etsy.com/shop/SpiralSolutions

Only those products that have photos at the bottom of the page are available at the moment, but you can read about all of them above. I love both her protein treatment and her deep treatment. I got a bottle of Curl Enhancing Jelly that is hyperscented, but I otherwise like it and will still order it again, I think. Haven't tried Emollience or the Firm Hold Gel yet - they were both out of stock when I placed my order.