Different Giovanni Direct Leave-In Ingredients?

Has anyone else noticed this? I bought a bottle of this Giovanni Direct Leave-In (the one that says "Weightless Moisture" and has polka-dots on the bottle) at Target a couple months ago and these are the ingredients:

Aqua (purified water) with rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, clary (Salvia sclarea), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, mallow (Malva sylvestris), horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived)[/font]

Then I went to TJ Maxx a few days later (it was 4.99!) and found one that says "weightless walking treatment" and it has leaves on the bottle. These are the ingredients:

Aqua (purified water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Uritica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Thymus Vulagris (Thyme) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Equistetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived), Fragrance (includes Essential Oil)[/font]

Although the second one was creamier, it made my hair frizz. (I'm sure it was the aloe.) I'm hoping this is an old formula, because at other stores (and online) they show the first ingredient list (without the aloe).

Do they actually have two different formulas, or was the TJ Maxx bottle just old? Does anyone know anything?

Not that it really matters much, I guess... I was never really impressed by this stuff, anyway. I like that it's natural, but it doesn't really control the frizz and poofiness very well.

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
Interesting. I just picked up the second bottle you have posted after reading rave reviews and haven't been too impressed (though I love the 50/50 conditioner).
The polka dotted bottle is the new formulation, the bottle with the leaves is the old formulation.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

I didn't even notice the change when I bought the new formula for the first time. Interestingly, though, I have noticed that, since I've been using the newer one, I've been liking it better. It could just be coincidence, though -- I used the old formula over a year ago, and lots of my other stuff was different then.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
Originally Posted by goobernut
Good... 'cuz I really don't like that old one.
Thanks for the info!

HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
I have a bottle with the polkadots on it with the ingredients the listed as the "old formula" Aloe being the second ingredient.

This one feels like a thick rinse out. I thought they messed up and put the wrong stuff in my bottle. I am throwing it out. I loved the last 3 bottles I had but can't handle this stuff. I remember comparing ingredients on the 2 bottles I had and don't remember seeing a difference. If anyone finds a difinitive answer to what is going on, please let me know!
_________________________________
Shoulder length Red 3a/b, high porosity, fine
Shampoo: N/A, ACV
Co-wash: Suave Coconut, GV50/50
Rinse Out: AOHR, GV50/50, GV Smooth as Silk
___________________________________________
Leave In: KCKT, GDLI, Coconut Oil, Komaza Shea Butter Lotion, Komaza Califa Leave-in.
Stylers: KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, Komaza Coconut Pudding, JC CCSS, A/G Re:Coil, BHRG, GV LA Looks Natural Gel

Originally Posted by sienna01
Really... new botttle, old formula? Now I'm really confused!

I didn't want to throw it out. (I hate to waste when I'm on a budget.) So I mixed a small amount of jojoba and grapeseed oils in the bottle. I applied it to my hair along with some Bioterra Gel, and it actually helped. My hair was less poofy and dry, and there was almost no frizz.

However, I continue the never-ending quest for a good (not too expensive) moisturizing leave-in...

HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
I never tried 50/50...maybe it was b/c of some of the ingredients? But I had terrible results with the Magnetic and Smooth as Silk Conditioners by Giovanni.

However, I've been using GDLI for almost 2 yrs. It was the best conditioner/detangler I had found. But I started co-washing with Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor (which is marketed as DT to be washed out) and then using Darcy's Curly Detangling milk. OMG what a difference! I thought nothing was better than GDLI! I used to only use the reconstructor as a DT and wash it out but one day I left it in and voila! The GDLI is really good for detangling but my hair is dense so I think I need the detangler either way. But the reconstructor is fab!

So glad this has been posted. I'm irritated myself, b/c I just bought one of the new bottles with the "old" formula, which I and my hair hates. Grrr.

[The only reason that I even started using the Giovanni Direct Leave-in is because about a year ago they changed the formula for the Smooth As Silk conditioner. The original Smooth As Silk condish was my HG for co-washing! But ingredients and consistency-wise, the Direct Leave in is (was?) the next best thing.]

In short, I'm getting a bit tired of the folx at Giovanni changing up their recipes. Does anyone know of another conditioner (and brand) that has similar ingredients to the "new" Giovanni Direct Leave In recipe,--the one without the Aloe Vera?

Last edited by Lindiwe; 11-22-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: specifics!
I bought a bottle of Giovanni Direct Leave In a few months ago and loved it!!! My curls would pop as soon as I put it on. However, I bought a bottle last week and it has changed. Even though the bottle was the same (polka dots on the front), the list of ingredients was different. Aloe Barbadensis is the second ingredient now and has really changed the conditioner. Nettle was the second ingredient in the old bottle I had. We have to write to the company and get them to change back to the old formula. If we don't buy this new formula, they will change it.

Last edited by Lesa Law; 12-09-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: correct spelling
I tried this as a leave-in but it didn't do much for my hair =/ Maybe I would like the old one better too xD