Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!

Used CIAB mixed with EcoStyler Krystal today...so far a great hair day!

Thanks, Ladies!!!!
FIA: 2b/cFii
normal porosity
dark_waves, I'm going to try this combo. Let me know if it ends up making your hair too soft!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

I'm seeing pretty much all 3's reviewing on CIAB and wondered if any 2's are using this and what their take is.
Originally Posted by missbanjo
missbanjo, I'm a 2B/3A depending on what products I use and what the dews are. I used the CJ CIAB and found it more curl defining but less curl enhancing than CJ CCCC lite, if you've used that. It makes my hair VERY shiny, almost too shiny because it looks wet even after it's dry.

First, I tried CIAB over a leave-in and under a hard-hold gel. I did this experiment twice, with two different leave-ins (CJ CA & Shescenscit). Good results, but too producty overall; I think my hair was over-conditioned.

Second, the other day I tried CIAB + gel with no leave-in underneath. My hair was less producty, but also less soft. I might try this again but with either a tiny bit of leave-in or a little less gel.

I haven't yet tried CIAB by itself, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be enough hold for me.

I attached some pics of CIAB + gel (taken two days ago). I used BRHG on the left side, and ABBA pure finish on the right side. The two sides were indistinguishable, so I didn't photograph both: only the back and the right side (with Abba gel).
Attached Thumbnails
Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!-cj-ciab_gel-1.jpg   Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!-cj-ciab_gel-2.jpg
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
When I had my appointment with Tiffany she used CIAB in my hair (for the first time) and I loved it so much that I bought it right then and there at her salon.

Right now, I'm using it alone as a styler on top of my LI/jojoba oil/water mix that I spray into my hair when I get out of the shower. I apply CIAB in 3 sections and diffuse my hair upside down until it is about 50% dry. Then I let the rest of my hair airdry and sometimes hit it with the diffuser a few more times, then when my hair is 100% dry I flip over and scrunch any crunch (to make the curls softer) and fluff up my hair. I have yet to be disappointed when I flip back up and see amazing curls.

I actually posted pictures of my hair after using just CIAB. If you'd like to see them, click on the "General Discussion of Curly Hair" thread, then scroll to either the 2nd or 3rd page and click on the thread that says "Tiffany at Live Curly Live Free!!!!" I believe I posted 3 initial pictures and then another one towards the end.
3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I My Hair
Ok so I just checked the other thread and its now on the 4th page, LOL. Hope you like them!
3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I My Hair
I've been using just CIAB with no leave-in or gel and have had some of my best hair days with lots of volume, shine, bounce and defined curls. I tried using it with a leave-in and gel but my hair felt and looked producty. I also tried using just CCCC Lite with no leave-in or gel and had very similar results, just not quite as shiny and had a little frizz late in the day but overall a good hair day.
3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
Im loving my CIAB, it is a very good refresher to replump my curls/coils in the morning after I have slept on them every which way

the last two days when I wake up , I take some KBB Hair milk and run it thru my hair , then take the CIAB and do the same. working like a charm!

Originally Posted by shawnyblazes
Milk + CIAB?? I'm on it! Thanks!
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
CIAB isn't working for me right now with hold, or enhancement like it used to either. I was considering putting it aside awhile and trying it again later, or selling it on the swap board, but I used it today to SOTC....VOILA, it worked! Just like a serum! Smooth wurls, soft wurls that held....I just used a dime sized blob so it means the bottle will last a LONNNNGGGGG TIMMMMMEEEEEE

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
I just got my bottle of CIAB from Curlmart and was wondering how it's holding up in the higher dew points for you ladies. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

It's hot and the dewpoints and humidity are through the roof around here so not sure how it's going to work for me.
My hair has been awful
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
CIAB is a serum to bust frizz for most and a styler (to be used alone) for a few. I'm a coarse curly so CIAB can't hold me down unless its mixed with a gel. Once its mixed with a gel some voodoo happens that makes my curls pop and I think its the curl enhancing action of the CIAB. Without saying, the shine is incredible as well.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter

Last edited by Naturalista; 06-05-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: b/c as usual.. cant type.
I just tried CIAB in high dews for the first time. I used it over a leave-in (Shescentit coco creme), and initially with nothing else on top. My hair was almost dry and was a frizzy mess, so I wet it down again and scrunched in a quarter-size amount of BRHG. Worked like a charm. Good hair both 1st and 2nd day, and it didn't expand too much, I'm guessing because it's not packed with glycerin. I'm looking forward to more high dew experiments.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
I always use gel with CIAB. I either top it off with BRHG, KMS Cranberry and Pepper or I use it mixed with Ecostyler. CIAB on it's own doesn't hold and I end up with a frizzy mess.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
So it seems like everyone is either mixing it with a gel or using it under a gel. I'm planning on using it more like a curl enhancer/frizz reducer under a gel because my curls need a ton of hold especially in the higher dew points (can we say major poof city?) so I know it won't work alone for me.
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does this compare with Curlkeeper or Gel-les'C? My daughter uses this and I'm going to sneak into her stash for a sample. I need to order some more soon and was wondering which would be more cost effective. She has used Curlkeeper before as well and I can order that in a liter size.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
Gotta say, this is becoming my go-to finisher and refresher. I just love how it adds shine and how it helps reclump/recurl/reshine on second, third day hair.

I dont' even use it anymore on wet hair. It just works so well on me on DRY.

I have dry, porous, non-shiny hair naturally, but CIAB really adds a level of smoothness and shine I'm finding more and more irresistible. In the following pic, I just added a scosh of CIAB to my dry curls and just added spring and shine and contained my tendency to uberfrizz with total diffusing (with SMasters method, I do diffuse until dry, totally dry):
Attached Thumbnails
Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!-sept-2-2010-supersoak-smasters-ss-cej-ss-fhg-ciab.jpg
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 09-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Originally Posted by curlykey
I haven't used gelees so can't comment on that but CIAB is thicker then CK. I used to love CK but for some odd reason I haven't been able to use it anymore.......That's OK though because CIAB is a much better substitute anyway. It has amazing hold for the texture, it gives me shine, clumps & definition. Amazing stuff truly....I did use it over CJ CurlFix as a LI on a cooler day without BRHG & it held up for me. I like to use it with BRHG to give me 2nd day hair. I am totally in love with CIAB

interesting you're using it on DRY hair Mir!! I think that would weigh down my waves, I like it on very wet hair in the shower.
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

I am with you Del2c-I use on very wet hair over a combo of the curlfix/cccc lite with BRHG mixed with water over the CIAB.

I have never figured out how to use gel es c (and I hate typing it) and CK stopped working for me too...not sure why. But I do find that CIAB works better in dryer/cooler weather for me.

I have given up on using anything on my hair when it's dry. Nothing, I mean nothing works. Lots of stuff looks promising but then it ends up looking horrible.

Originally Posted by xcptnl
I have to laugh at the bolded

Over the Summer I was mixing CIAB with Ecostyler and it worked really well together. This is a great year round product for me just change what LI I use (or none) works every time with whatever condish I use too. CIAB, CurlFix and CCC-lite are my favorite stylers in her line.

I have good success using JC N&S or KBB Butter on dry hair when dew points are low/air is dry. In the humidity forget it...nothing works for me either. Weird CK stopped working for you too???? I used CK/Honey for 2 Summers in a row! Worked excellent so I was all set for it to work this Summer. I got tired of experimenting with it and just gave up..
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

CIAB gives me excellent shine and it does help with frizz control, but I don't like that it has a tendency to make my curls droop around the crown area. No matter how curly my crown is, as soon as I add CIAB, I can see a lessening in curl. That problem diminishes a bit if my hair is nowhere near soaking wet when I put it on.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.