Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!

Hello ladies,

Great thread about CJ Curls in a Bottle.
After 2 years unintentionally transitioning from a thermal straightening, but still keeping it straight with flat iron. Thanks to heavens, it seems there wasn't any major heat damage to my hair, except for the edges, which now are mostly gone.

I started experimenting with Jessicurl products. Then I got CIAB and CJ Curl Asssurance Daily Conditioner. I love it! So far, every time I try it, I have happy hair day. Could I have found my HG so fast? It's almost hard to believe.

This is how I've been getting the best results:

After washing my hair with conditioner or low poo, I apply CADC generously while in the shower and detangle with a Denman D31 brush. But i don't rinse it out. I leave it in!
I get out of the shower with dripping hair. I section my hair in 6 sections and apply a quarter size or more of CIAB, raking it from roots to ends.
I comb one last time the section with the Denman to clump and run my fingers down slowly squeezing my hair between my fingers. After doing this all over my head I scrunch with a microfiber towel.

I usually let it air dry for a while, then I use a diffuser mostly on the roots cause I have soooo much hair the scalp is the last thing to get dry.

This, plus spritzing water and adding a bit more of CADC and CIAB on the next day, and the next day, and the next day... gave me a 5 day curly happy hair with a LOT of shine.

I see that I lot of people like big volumous hair. Well I have it naturally and I need something that will help me to control it. It help me to get the volume down to something I am comfortable with.

It gets a little crunchy as it dries, but when you scrunch it out, the results are soft, bouncy, defined and shiny curls. I'll keep experimenting Curl Junkie I'll post a pic later.

I haven't tried by itself cause my hair is so dry that a leave-in is a must. I live in Northen Virginia and the dew points have been between 40-60 this past weeks. No frizz days with CADC and CIAB.
Hi. I just received my first CIAB last week, so I'm still experimenting. So far has been working nicely with my CCCClite underneath. Temps have been drier lately, so I'm extra conditioning every couple days (this is when I low poo).

My question is do some of you use CIAB on 2nd & 3rd day hair. If so what is your procedure, amt, etc.

I have fine 3a\b hair, but a good amount of it. Seems to be porous & dry right now. i don't color or anything of that nature either...
I think I needed to have longer hair to truly appreciate this product - I liked it before, but now I loooove it! I can use it with a LI just fine, but it is a hair day saver! If I feel like my styler does not have enough moisture - CIAB. If I have a little bit of frizz on top - CIAB. If I want a shine boost - CIAB. I previously thought that I got similar results with my AV gel, and I did, that is, until my gel started reacting with some stylers and my hair would turn white when I was finished. Sigh. CIAB does not do that, and therefore, we are BFFs!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I guess Im trying to figure out how to use this to get the best results. I like it, but not sure what it's meant to do. Meaning is it meant for a styler that conditions, layered over a LI (so not necessarily a conditioner), 2nd day hair, all of the above, etc.

Obviously depends on what each person's hair properties are, but for a fine, 3a\b, porous curlie...any pointers?

The only thing I have been using is CCCClite, CIAB & filtered water spritzes as stylers...

Originally Posted by stefflynh
My hair properties are similar to yours and I find this to be a very versatile product, but it doesn't work well for me when I use it with a leave-in conditioner. Usually, I use a rinse-out and then CIAB and no other styler. Sometimes I even poo and then use CIAB and no conditioner at all b/c CIAB is very conditioning for me. I think of it as a very light gel/serum that aids in conditioning your hair. I don't like to use real gels during the fall/winter, so I use CIAB as a lighter substitute. It works best for me during the fall/winter and I use it as my only styler. For me, it does make my hair feel smoother and more conditioned, and the curls are shinier and better defined. I suppose other folks pair it with a curl creme and/or gel, but I don't find that to be necessary for me. I haven't paired it with CCCC-Lite, as so many others do, b/c that combo would weigh me down. HTH.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
I tried using the CIAB by itself last night without a LI and it just doesn't give me enough definition. I'm going to try it with the CCCC lite next time.
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
Let me know what you think of this combo. This has been my routine since I purchased CIAB. I will try it without the CCCClite eventually, but I'm honestly thinking I may need the CCCClite underneath. I will wanted to try it once though. I think trying it solo will also help me understand what purpose each of the products serves for MY hair. If that makes sense...

I think my hair may be as good as it's going to get right now. It's pretty shiny, very curly with no frizz & no crunch. Lots of little curls it seems (as opposed to clumping), but that doesn't bother me.

sense...

Originally Posted by stefflynh

I tried the CCCClite with the CIAB. I do like the combination. How much do you use of each? Don't think I used enough product because not quite enough definition.
[quote=KarenRB53;1524776]
Originally Posted by KarenRB53

Ok, I experimented. I'm using different amounts, but I think I'm getting it.

I skipped the CCCClite as a base & used the CIAB first (only about a quarter & a dash more, since it really spreads nicely), then some HE friendly mousse (alot of it, since it was a lighter hold) & a spritz of some harder hold gel. I used the CCCClite smoothed in hand & lightly scrunched out (alot) of crunch the next day (when I low poo it's at night). I had a really awesome shirley temple like definition today, which is good since the winds were over 20 mph. I wont need to water wash or lowpoo for at least another day or two, which is the norm, BUT my definition is bueno.

I really need more of a hold right now (ontop of conditioning). If my hair gets really crunchy, then not a big deal. CCCClite is an awesome SOTC (in any dews). In the summer months this will remain my base, but not in the lower dews...

Let me know how your experimenting goes!
Originally Posted by stefflynh
My usual routine is Curl Assurance LI, , MOP c-curl defining cream, and a gel over it for hold. (In the summer its been the lighter hold Biotera, but now for the winter, I'm using Aussie's freeze hold gel and I love it.) After I diffuse dry (or air dry if I have the time), I finish with my Bed Head Manipulator. I use CIAB to get 2nd day hair.

Today I followed my usual routine, but instead of finishing with Manipulator (which is on the thick and tacky side) I finished with CIAB. My hair felt great, soft, bouncy curls and decent definition, not as much as when I use Manipulator, but not as frizzy as I thought it would be w/o it. Now, I did do an hour-long DT yesterday, so that probably affected how soft and moisturized my hair felt today, but still, I was impressed with how the CIAB performed as a finishing product.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

sense...

Originally Posted by KarenRB53
I'm not sure right now. Using less cccclite than I was due to using a LI. I just dropped off to really low dews so I'm confused. I've been using alot of LI & about a quarter size of cccclite scrunched back in with water, then CIAB. I withheld from a harder hold gel right now, but I'm quite sure this wont last. I like a stronger hold. I just think perhaps HESMU may be too drying right now, so anxiously waiting CQ
properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
Stylers-FSG & BRHG
PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
I do like the CJ Curls in a Bottle but doesn't give me enough definition. Maybe I'm not using enough. How much do most of you use?? Also, does anyone else use the CIAB with the CJ Curl Queen? I definately need more hold but nothing that will make me crunchy. Hate crunchy.
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
I like CIAB best in low dews, over a leave-in (CJ beauticurls). I then smooth on and scrunch in a little Marie Dean product once hair is dry (either the red clover/honey leave-in or one of her curl creams), and this tames the flyaways and adds definition to CIAB without making hair crunchy.

In higher dews, this isn't enough hold for me, so I tend to use CIAB instead as a serum for extra frizz control. Last summer, my favorite combo was to use a curl cream (like CJ CCCC or MD CSC) under a gelly (SS CEJ), and scrunch in a little CIAB to cut down frizz. When dews were really high, I switched from using CIAB as a serum to Curls Gel'les-C.

This summer I plan to experiment with CQ in place of CEJ, because my hair can tolerate more protein in the summer, and Florida curlies have raved about how well CQ works in high dews. Not sure whether I would use a little CIAB with CQ, or CQ on its own.

Another way to use CIAB in high dews is in between a leave-in and a hard-hold gel (like ABBA or BRHG, that starts out crunchy but becomes soft once scrunched out).
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
I've been thinking of trying CIAB, but I'm not sure how I would use it. My hair likes having two products - a cream, moisturizing and defining, and a gel, which locks in the cream and helps eliminate frizz (of course, it doesn't hurt if the cream helps get rid of frizz, too!).

So I've been using Recoil as a cream, and Upper Management (just a basic gel). Also, I've heard good reviews for and been thinking of trying the Aubrey Organic Mandarin Jelly. And ideas?
Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
CJ CIAB is the only CJ product I have not gotten to work for me at all. My hair feels producty (esp. day 2) whenever I've used it, my 2nd day hair is stringy and loses curl, and I get some frizz on my canopy as well. And in addition to this, I react a bit to the scent and don't particularly like it either. Maybe I haven't figured out how to use it, but have tried several times and don't think I will try more.
_____________
3a; med-coarse; ii; med or high porosity (or a mix); med elasticity
Wash: CJ DFCC, low-poo (varies).
Conditioner: CJAO, CJ Smoothing Daily Conditioner, Fructis Triple Nutrition.
DT: CJ Curl Rehab.
Styling: CJ CCCC-lite, Komaza Coconut Lotion, Komaza Coconut Pudding, BRHG, MGA SRSG.
Tools: curlease towel, wide toothed plastic comb, Braun Satin Pro Diffuser.
Experimenting with: CJ CIAB, Fuzzy Duck Gel
Current HG: CJ CCCC-lite+BRHG
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
I've used the CIAB/CQ combo and it works great and holds my curls all day, it's in the rotation of products I use. It drys crunchy but scrunches out easily. Of course no gel product on me is ever as soft and naturl feeling as my mousse, but the gels hold better. I tried the CIAB with SS FHG and didn't get as good of results as with the CQ. I haven't tried it as my last and final product like some do, so that may be something I may need to try.
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
Originally Posted by Beebop
Beebop, are you using a leave-in with CIAB/CQ and with CEJ/FHG? If so, which one?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Originally Posted by Beebop

How much of the CIAB and the CQ do you use?
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I don't use a leave in with the CIAB/CQ combo because it must be very moisturizing on it's own, since I tried leaving a pea size of my Sonoma first crush that I normally use and my hair was too soft and stringy, it's been a while but I think thats what happened, I think I even tried some of the CJ cond. as a leave in and they didn't work either.

I sometimes use a pea size of the Sonoma with the CEJ/FHG combo or with the FHG alone. I ordered a new bottle of both and the CEJ came with a different pump than my first bottle and it pumps out more like you said yours did Melanie, the new one is white and the old black.

I always use a leave in with my mousse since they aren't as conditioning or heavy and need a little help with fly aways.

I use about a quarter of the CIAB on the back half of hair soaking wet and another quarter on the top/sides so two total, scrunch it in then about one nickel to quarter size of the CQ scrunched all over since it is so strong.

I'll use it today since I haven't use in a while and get back to you all again.
UPDATE: Wow! I forgot how well this combo works! I used the CIAB/CQ as above and I got shiney, soft clumped spirals from the root down and a lot of body. It scrunches out very soft and makes my hair feel thicker. They work great together on me but don't work great alone. Let me know if you all try it.
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size

Last edited by Beebop; 06-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.
i'm late to the party on this one but i just bought a bottle of the ciab to use because i like the smoothing lotion so much. i don't particularly need hold but i wouldn't mind some shine and definition.

this has been a really helpful thread!
a dreamy pisces
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural