Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle - Tell Me More About It!

Many of you recently ordered the new Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle product and have had a lot of time to experiment with it. I'm tempted to buy it, but I want to know more about it.

Honestly, I get a little frustrated b/c people always say vague things like "I loved it," "It worked great," and "I use it every day." I want to know specifics, people!! Before I shell out the bucks tell me:

Is it a clear liquid gel? What kind of hold do you get from it? Why do you like it, or why don't you like it? Is it easy to distribute? How does it make your hair feel? Does it make your hair greasy? How do you use it?

Last edited by SicilyCurl; 12-14-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: bad grammar
I posted a similar question in the General Hair Topics section. I am trying to narrow down my Curl Junkie wish list, and there was a helpful post from someone who has used it. Check it out and see if it helps you. HTH!

Hair Type - medium to fine texture, high porosity, lots of it, type 2b/3a
Ive used the CIAB and what I found was when I used it on its own if made my hair appear thicker. The definition was lost a bit - still curly but not as curly looking. The look was ok for me - just different. The great thing was tho it really cut down on frizz. When I used it on top or under something it did the same regarding frizz (ie none) and I still had my definition. For me the good part is the hold is pretty good tho you think it wont hold as I didn't find it crunchy, there is no guessing re the amount to use (like the CJCCC). I like it. Here are 2 links to my fotki first one CIAB on its own

2nd one using Jessicurl (just to give you an idea of the difference I found in the sort of curl I got)

HTH
UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
Hair loves protein!
new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!
Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
I'd like to review it, and this thread is as good as any.

The CJ 'new stuff' thread is just so big, and I like individual product threads.

I've used it three times, and it worked out well all three times.

Here goes....

Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle!

Ingredients: Water, Hydroethylcellulose, Agave Nectar, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Matricaria Recuitita (Chamomile) Flower Water, PVP, Panthenol, PEG-8 Dimethicone*, Polyquaternium-10, PEG-8 Raspberriate**, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance. *Water soluble-rinses clean!, **Derived from Raspberry Oil.

It is in a regular conditioner type bottle, and you pour the liquid out. It's a medium textured, pearly colored liquid. The scent partly reminds me of oranges and partly like the Island Fantasy scent of Jessicurl products.

I was unsure of what to do with the product, but I wanted to try it out since I am able to incorporate some panthenol into my routine, and I hadn't been able to use it in the past.

I detangled with Knot Today, conditioned with Bella Curl Moisture Rich Conditioner, and used CJ Curl Rehab as my leave-in. I then oil sealed with mango oil.

I used Curl in a Bottle! like a gel. I used 6 50-cent sized puddles (I have a good bit of hair). I smoothed/raked it on, brushed it through with a Denman to distribute, and then scrunched to get my curl pattern going. I then left my hair to air dry.

I usually use KCCC. This dried a lot less crunchy. The curl pattern with the CiaB was about the same that I get with KCCC, but without the crunch. I think my ends were a touch less defined with the CiaB, but the difference was pretty small overall.

My hair continued to feel quite soft, and I got no increase of frizz during the day.

I am able to get second day hair out of this, much like I do with KCCC. But, 3rd day is better with the KCCC than the CiaB.

Honestly, I was surprised that it worked as well as it did as a stand alone styler. I do like the soft feel as well. I mean soft - my hair feels quite nice. I did expect some hold due to the PVP, but without crunch, I was worried about the amount of hold I would get and the length of time I would keep that hold. I am not sure if this product is meant as a stand alone, but I have been doing well enough with it.

Dew points are not high for me right now, which also may help.

Here's what my hair has been looking like with the above routine/combo.

Beginning of day 1.

End of day 2, with 3 hours of physical labor at the latter part of the workday.

While I do think the KCCC holds up a bit better for me, the performance of the CiaB turned out quite well for a stand alone. I'd like to try it under KCCC or another gel to see what happens with that.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
As usual it looks super gorgeous! I love how your hair frames your face like that---it just seems to perfectly fall in order.

How awesome it works!! It's so nice to have multiple choices
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
Color: Translucent liquid with some "gelee" quality in consistency.

Smell: Love it. A combo of pina-colada meets orange creamsicle. (And not at all cloying like JC Island Fantasy, which I loathe.)

Effect: VERY defined curls, very smooth and shiny definition of my curls. It does not "coil them up tight" like CurlKeeper, but it does so with a lot less "productly" feel. I never get a a crunch from CIAB, and I use nearly an ounce each time. It is one of the products I've tried that has minimized my superdupernuttyinsane frizzbombiness. Nothing works for me perfectly, but this one is the one I'll grab as a refresher when the curls are starting to frizz badly second day.

I've gotten AT MOST three days of curl. That's about all I can expect. I went 4 days with KinkyCurly once.That's the most I ever got, period. Generally, products only give me one or two good days. CIAB will give at least one great day, one decent day, one maybe day for me.

Uses: I've used this as a curl enhancer before gel, as a sealant after a different product (ie FSG/FSB, another gel), and I've used it as a serum (after all products). I've also used it as a refresher. It works as ALL THOSE, which amazes me.

I've used it five times and have used up a third of the bottle. So, a bottle will last me about 15 days of uses. It's a 12 oz bottle, but oddly, it looks like more, like 16. Hah. As I do my hair 2 to 3 times a week (depending on how much I sweat, how the curl hangs on, etc), it doesn't last me THAT long.

The ingredients are listed over at CurlMart's listing for CIAB, so you can check for anything your hair may dislike.

I'm not sure yet what my hair disliked, but I have started to avoid glycerin cause other porous gals have said it's not good for them. This has agave, and I don't know who or what should avoid that (if any).

I have a fotki where I show what my CIAB curls looked like first day (forgot to take pics on other days). I also have pics for Kinky Curly and CurlKeeper (and other stuff) if you want to compare how the hair holds up. You can see the link in my siggie. I comment on the CIAB first day pic , too, http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/cur...-0134-jpg.html I used it FEb 28 due to low dew point and humidity mixed with strong, coolish winds. My hair tends to droop and lose volume like mad when the dew point is low. Plus I was doing some energetic drumming and walking in the windy sunshine that day and I wanted my curls to hold up. CIAB gave me tons of shine and kept me coiled: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/cur...-0187-jpg.html However, yeah, I got a flat top and lost some volume. That shine is not me. My hair is dry,damaged, porous. That shine is CIAB. I always love the shine I get from this stuff.

I agree that the curls are more elongated than with other, stronger holding curl enhancers/definers. But this one really gives me shinier, more touchable curls than CK and KC, which were the other two that defined best for me. I agree that my ends get a little floofier and not as tightly coiled as with CK, say. But with this product, I can add on later in the day and days after and see a rebound.

I used it yesterday after having some hair frizz/fuzz and droop, and it perked me up enough to skip a wash that day.

I will say I don't get consistent results. Some days I've used it it's been great, others pretty okay, once so-so. Maybe that was due to weather variations, dunno. But it's been a really good product for me.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by MirCurls; 03-02-2010 at 05:22 PM.
It's gotten lots of good reviews!
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
i love it, i dont use it all the time,, so i can stretch the produt use. Every time i put it in, my hair looks perfect: soft, defination, root lift. it looks every curl came from a curling iron to my hair , that perfect!
I have 3A hair, medium density, medium to high porosity, on the dry side.
in the northeast, low dewpoints.

My Process: I use daily fix as cleasing poo, then if needed tiny bits of beauti curls in the ends ( a dime amt)
(if i need more clensing ill start with Wen almond mint cleansing cond)

AG Recoil a pea sized/ dime sized amt emulsufy with some water comb thru my hair, ( helps to encourage curl)some times i comb thru some more h2o

I finger comb 1 half dollars of curls in a bottle through my hair, then scrunch 3 half dollars of CIB thru my hair.

I would use less than 1 quarter of BRHG scrunch thru, then towel scrunch.
I use deva diffuser- the hand, or air dry with clips. the deva dryer is great tho.
3A, Med tex, normal-low porosity, thick density
Does CIAB compare to anything else? I see that it's being used in a variety of ways, but can anyone say whether it functions like another (commonly used?) product? And if so, would you choose it over that other product?
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

For me, CIAB has been a unique and useful product that delivers on many fronts, which is why I'm gonna order some more.

I'd compare it to CurlKeeper in terms of good, coiled curl formation, however, it smells a helluva lot better than "old lipstick smell" CK, and it has no crunch factor (and I've used many palmfuls of CIAB without crunch. Then again, I tend to use a leave-in condish, so that may help.

It has the non-build-up effect of Flaxseed Gelee, in terms of how it pours, is slightly cloudy in appearance. FSG gives less of a coil effect, but FSG and CIAB to me have the non-crunchy/touchability factor.CIAB works as a post wash day refresher, so it's like FSG in that regard as well. You can use it day after day without gunking up or flaking.

It hold curl well, so it may function for some like a light gel--hold without crunch.

It adds shine without the oiliness of pomade, so maybe in that regard, it's like a shine serum, ie, a biosilk without the oily siliconiness.

It's like the way some folks use KCCC (after leave-in/detangler for curl enhancemenet and non-frizz hold), but it makes curls springier/coilier in my experience than KCCC. They both have a cloudy look and good smell, but KCCC is snotty, while CIAB is more liquid (a la FSG). And CIAB is not persnickety like KCCC can be (according to what I've read with how it reacts poorly with certain other products). I've used CIAB with an assortment of gels and leave-ins and it has not reacted poorly yet.

I am still amazed at its versatility and how aesthetically pleasing it is (ie, feels nice, smells nice, comes in a non-fussy but well-functioning bottle). The last is not a minor point, as it's a pain in ye olde butte to use KCCC in the shower cause it makes your hands so slippery that getting the cap on and off is a chore. Which is why when I use KCCC, I set it up with the cap already loosened on the edge of teh shower stall. It's nice to have a bottle one just grasps and squeezes. The only improvement to that would be the pump like with Spiral Solutions CEJ. I love not having to do anything but pump.

That's the best I can do to make comparisons. My advice: try it and see how it works for you and in how many ways.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Last edited by MirCurls; 03-10-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Originally Posted by MirCurls
i love that cj bottles that are NOT pumps -- when you get nearly to the bottom of the bottle, but still have several uses left, pump bottles no longer pump. i find it easier to keep a flat-top-cap bottle upside down than the pumps, to get the remaining uses out of the bottle.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Last edited by rbb; 03-11-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification
MirCurls, thank you so much for the details. Your explanations really help. Aaaand I'll probably order a bottle.
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Tigi MM
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

This is awesome! Lots of tips!!! I've been waiting for the weather to get better to use CIAB again but I'm getting impatient!!! I may experiment with this tomorrow!!!
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV
So the first time I used this it was as a "base" product (like a leave in or curl cream) and under gel. Did absolutely nothing for my hair.

Today I used it as a serum as suggested by FrizzBeGone, but I mixed mine with my HEBE gel and scrunched in after applying my CALI and SS CEJ to soaking wet hair and then blotting with flour sack towel. i LOVE The effect of it this way, very frizz reducing, and I think it added some definition and DEF added shine too, shine to the 10th power. Just thought I would share....
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Originally Posted by solidgold
I compare CIAB to Gel-les'c - mainly because I use it the same way !! Both are clear, liquidy products. It reminds me of the styling lotions I use to use YEARS ago. The way these products work for me are as serums. I apply them after I've applied my stylers (curl enhancer and gel) and before diffusing.

I think the Gel-les'c provides me with a bit more frizz prevention, but the CIAB works really well. On days where the dewpoints are really high or I know I'm going to be going to a place that will be hot, I use the Gel-les'c. If not, I use CIAB.

The other difference I've noticed between the two is that CIAB seems to make my hair softer and help prevent the crunchiness you can get with most products. I don't find the Gel-les'c makes a difference in that regard.

Today I used it as a serum as suggested by FrizzBgone, but I mixed mine with my HEBE gel and scrunched in after applying my CALI and SS CEJ to soaking wet hair and then blotting with flour sack towel. i LOVE The effect of it this way, very frizz reducing, and I think it added some definition and DEF added shine too, shine to the 10th power. Just thought I would share....
Originally Posted by Chelley Mae
Awesome !!! I'm always happy to hear something that I said works for someone else !!
CIAB this stuff makes my hair REALLY soft, so soft to the point its countering the gel that I put in. I might have to put this in my hair first and then layer a gel on top instead of the other way around
FrizzBgone, how do you use it as a serum??

I put my leave on in, mix the CIAB with my hard holding gel and put that on top, and then mix more gel and ciab and scrunch it on my ends. I only need a little bit too.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
Originally Posted by shawnyblazes
Mix a dize size of it with your gel and use it. I love using it that way. It's the BOMB with clear ecostyler!!!
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
oooh Empresss, I just happen to have some clear ecostyler!!!

thanks for the tip!! I am in love with my curl junkie products!
FrizzBgone, how do you use it as a serum??

Originally Posted by empressri
Hi Empressri

I apply all my other styling products - CIAB isn't included in that list (!!!). After I've plopped and then clipped my hair - just before I start to diffuse, I scrunch in approximately 2 dimes worth of CIAB. I start on each side and work my way back, scrunching it in. I then start to diffuse. I use Gel-les'c the same way.

HTH