• 1 Post By AllieCat0817

Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

CottonCandy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Cool Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee

I haven't posted in a long time, but recently purchased a product from Beija Flor Naturals and since there aren't a lot of reviews for this line I figured I'd add one. I purchased the Creme Brulee hoping I would be getting a natural creamy moisturizer. My hair tends to be really dry (with no product in it) and can handle oils; I am not protein sensitive. I also bought it knowing that it contained some aloe, which I am sensitive too, so that was a risk. I was hoping aloe was low on the list. Here is the link to the product:

Unfortunately aloe is not low on the ingredient list, here is what is listed on the label:

Herbal complex (Rosemary, Burdock, Marshmellow Root, Nettle), Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Organic Aloe Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Peach Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Stearic Acid, Xanthum, Fragrance.

I thought it was strange that the label didn't match what was advertised on the link... "Avocado butter, Cocoa Butter, Jojoba, Coconut Oil, and Aloe add shine, moisture and protection." There isn't avocado butter or jojoba listed on the label.

Pros: the product smells really nice, and it isn't overpowering. Its kind of like a creamy, sweet and spicy scent, it reminds me of a cinnamon tea.

Cons: there isn't any staying power with the moisture. (Granted, I've been putting it on dry hair or slightly damp hair since I don't want any to get on my skin due to the aloe.) It leaves my hair feeling dry and even a tad greasy. I was really disappointed about this. It just does not work for me as a moisturizer, and seems to almost have the opposite effect.

I want to mention that I live in a really dry climate, and this dry issue may not happen for someone that lives somewhere more humid. I will not buy this product again. I do like the fragrance, and I'll try to figure out how to use it with other products so it doesn't go to waste, but it was a letdown.
3c-like S-waves and random curls
Fine density; medium & fine strands
Naturally very dry and very frizzy
CottonCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #2

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Alexjoujou started a thread about their licorice root stimulator. Mentioned that some woman on LHCF had problems with the Creme Brulee--but I think it was a few ounces missing in the bottle.

Beija Flor Naturals Licorice Root Scalp Elixir?

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Alexjoujou's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Post

Yeah actually it was several women (3) who got the product and it was only 6oz even though it is advertised as 8.

Also on the 4A forum there is a review in the what did you buy for black friday and she also had a bad experience..didn't even GET the product and a bottle spilled because they didn't tape it...sounded like a right nightmare.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for your hair. It's actually the opposite of mine--more oil sensitive and my hair loves aloe!
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
Alexjoujou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #4

CottonCandy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005

You know, as far as shipping time I didn't consider it to be unreasonable, and the bottle didn't appear to skimp on product volume. That's too bad that happened to some of the customers though!
3c-like S-waves and random curls
Fine density; medium & fine strands
Naturally very dry and very frizzy
CottonCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

Join Date: Dec 2009
Default I used the Creme Brulee as a styler or detangler

and I sealed it with one of her buttercremes. My hair is desert thirsty and its been the only product so far (other than qhemet) that has quenched my dry hair's thirst. Did you try her buttercremes. They are the ***** I use the hempbutter on my hair and its so glossy!
BeLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #6

LhoreSpencer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

I'm on the fence with the creme brulee... I have to experiment with it again. My hair was dry, but I'm thinking it may be the fact that I was extremely lazy with covering it down and wearing a scarf under my wool hats that may have been a contributing factor. I'll try again in a few weeks.
I do like the smell... kinda like a Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon tea mix with cloves and nutmeg. I also like the ingredients. The hairbutter... not bad either. But I can mix it myself (which I intend to do), so it may not be a repurchase.

Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

*SIGH* Alas, I've come to accept my shrinkage and fairy knots

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!
LhoreSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
lovestosamba
Guest

Posts: n/a

Originally Posted by CottonCandy View Post

she must have changed the ingredients. This is what I got in a etsy convo:
Herbal Complex: Nettle, Burdock, Rosemary, Marshmellow Root, Organic Shea Butter, Aloe Butter, Murumuru, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Distilled Water, Vegetable Emulsifier, Vitamin E, Xanthum, Stearic Acid, paraben free preservative, Fragrance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2009

Weird...I have the Creme Brulee and it doesn't have aloe vera gel in it. I actually LOVE it under a gel, it makes my hair feel so good. And it makes my scalp tingly b/c of the rosemary for a little...I like it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you though.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Join Date: Sep 2009

bump, any more recent reviews?
Cerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

Join Date: Feb 2011

Well I would review it if I had received my shipment. Ordered last week of June and no package yet. She is investigating. Hope I get it soon. I was really looking forward to trying the Brule' as well as the hair and body butter cream...
beachcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #11

Join Date: Apr 2011

Just got my first order from there. Got Cali Peach pomade, oil, and samples of Hemp and Coco Mango buttercreams (I ordered from the site, didn't see sample sizes on etsy).

Love the pomade. If anyone likes peach scents they'll like it, it's not too strong or too fake. I didn't get it for the scent tho, but because it said 'pomade' lol. My fave kind of product. Texture is grainy and it seemed sorta dry at first (it's different from all my other pomades), but on hair it's magic. My hair anyway, it loved it. Not heavy or greasy and gave shine.

Oil is... oil, lol. Was fine and light enough as a sealer, will prolly use it up on skin tho, I got oils I like more for hair. I read etsy feedback and everyone oohs and aahs over the smell of it. My bottle doesn't smell at all. Maybe there's a faint scent, but I barely detect it. Which is fine with me, I'd rather it have no smell than too strong. I just expected it to smell like fruit punch or something. But whatever, no big deal.

Hemp and Coco Mango Buttercreams are nice. So far I tried some on dry hair, but I can tell it'll be really great on wet.

I got the order about 10 days after placing it, if anyone's curious. Everything was well wrapped.
3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl
blulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #12

Join Date: Apr 2011

Used Hemp Buttercream on wet today (with JC Too Shea as ro/leave in) and hair ended up light, soft, defined and shiny. Cocoa Mango Buttercream is the same texture, so I'll prolly have the same result with it. I needed very little, so 2oz jar of each will last me a long time. Scents are light too, which is a plus (got Banana Cream Pie and Fig Lychee)

Oil used on skin (body) was amazing. Light yet moisturizing, very absorbent and not greasy. Will get more when I run out.
3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl
blulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #13

AllieCat0817's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007

Reviving this thread. I ordered the Creme Brulee and the Hemp Buttercreme and I LOVE BOTH.

Used it (along with Oyin Frank Juice) to refresh a wash n go to aid in smoothing my buck wild air dried wash n go into a my pineapple (first time ever pineappling). Also used it to make two 2 strand twists in the front for bangs. 'Sealed' it with Oyin Sugar Berry pomade, and a spritz of Uncle Funky's Daughter Glossy.. by the way, Glossy is AWESOME. Instantly softens a crunchy wash n go. Amazing.

The Beija Flor Naturals is GOOD GOOD STUFF, I LUV it. The hemp buttercreme is SOOOO moisturizing and gives EXCELLENT definition and softness on my bangs twists. Can't wait to try the mango buttercreme one.

By the way, the front is secured with an UpZing that I got from Walgreens. I LOVE THIS THING! It is made by the same company as HairZing (I also ordered some of these, along with some African Butterfly Combs). Secure and great great hold without hurting and you can adjust the tightness. I couldnt believe it held my hair so well. Thought my hair was too short to do it.. but NOT. Because you can adjust the combs as wide or as narrow as you want. LOVE THESE THINGS.... (www.hairzing.com, www.africanbutterfly.com). Here is another pic showing how the Upzing works (Walgreens, buy one get one free right now... $6.49)...
Attached Thumbnails
Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee-allie091711_1.jpg.jpg   Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee-allie091711_2.jpg.jpg   Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee-allie091711_3.jpg.jpg   Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee-allie091711_4.jpg.jpg   Review Beija Flor Naturals - Creme Brulee-allie091711_5.jpg.jpg

Cerendipity likes this.
3c/4a Natural

Last edited by AllieCat0817; 09-18-2011 at 10:56 AM.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #14

Jo Somebody's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011

Hmm... very mixed results.
Jo Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #15

afrosheenqueen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000

Originally Posted by Jo Somebody View Post
Hmm... very mixed results.

Indeed. I'll have to try these out and see if my hair loves them. I already ordered the brulee (which is taking too long to get to me btw...)so we'll see.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #16

AllieCat0817's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007

After more experimenting with tryna get multi day hair from a wash n go, I am LOVING the brulee. I will reorder both that and the hemp buttercreme.

The brulee is awesome for me, after my wash n go has completely dried. I usually do my wash n go in the morning with EcoStyler Olive Oil, and by the night it's still damp in the crown underneath. I've learned my lesson to NOT pineapple or even touch it at all, until all of it is completely dry even the damp under-parts. So I'll put on a silk scarf on top of my wash n go, no pineappling. When I wake up in the morning I still have nice curls but they are smashed down close to my head like nobody's business.

I then spray it with UFD Glossy oil sheen, then with a little oil or Oyin pomade on my hands I'll try to pull my hair out to fluff it back out. Then I get my 3 silk/satin scrunchies and section my hair into 3 horizontal sections, applying brulee to the length of each section smoothing into a ponytail in the middle of my head like a mohawk. I have 3 ponytails one right under the other, with the brulee used to smooth it into the ponytail.

I did this this morning using the brulee to 'stretch' my hair with the scrunchies and it worked GREAT. Just left the scrunchies in for about 45 minutes while showering etc. It's still not all the way stretched out yet, but tonight I will pineapple again with a little more brulee and by the morning my hair will be stretched out HUGE.

LOVE THE BRULEE on a dry wash n go to stretch it out, get out the crunch, soften etc. The smell is divine. I haven't used it as a leave-in under gel on wet hair yet.

I'm getting the large jar next... cuz the bottle doesn't work good for squeezing it out because it's too thick. I emailed them and they said jars are coming soon. The large 16oz size (I think its 16oz) already comes in a jar now. I'll be getting that.

GOOD STUFF!