Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Readers' Product Reviews

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #21
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

I have so many other things that I've been trying out, I haven't thought to use this. I'll bet the puree would be fabulous with any of the Marie Dean products. If I remember, I'll put it out on the counter, so I remember to use it tomorrow!
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,077
Default

I will have to say I like the puree, I was turned off by the watery texture but it actually spreads over the hair easily, my hair dried a little crunchy but my curls were plump and very defined.

I used a light leave in under, next time I will try it with some karens hair milk to see if a creamy leave in makes a difference.
Cerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #23
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

Used the puree with the Marie Dean pudding I bought. It looked great while diffusing. It's not 100% dry, but the hand under the hair tells me it will be soft and not have that "odd" feeling I usually get. It's supposed to be hot and muggy today--thunderstorms this pm and dews in the high 60's. We'll see how it holds up.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

My hair held up really well today. I was in a house where the air conditioning wasn't working properly for a while--register wasn't open. It was really hot and muggy.

While I've finally found a way to get this to work, I'm not sure I would repurchase it. I'm really spoiled with all the products that leave your hair feeling great with no effort.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
 
Naturalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
My hair held up really well today. I was in a house where the air conditioning wasn't working properly for a while--register wasn't open. It was really hot and muggy.

While I've finally found a way to get this to work, I'm not sure I would repurchase it. I'm really spoiled with all the products that leave your hair feeling great with no effort.
Thanks for the update. I'm totally feeling you on liking products, but not repurchasing b/c you have things that work loads better.
__________________
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #26
 
sassywillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 829
Default deleted

deleted

Last edited by sassywillow; 07-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.
sassywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #27
 
Chelley Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 360
Send a message via AIM to Chelley Mae
Default

Interestingly enough I'm finding the Botanical Spirits creams & puddings for me in general, don't like anything else with them. And I'm liking the Kinky Coils Pudding the most, even though it's not meant for my hair type. I love it though, but totally alone.

Actually, lately I've been finding that just 1 product in my hair is working the best. I no longer think I like gel....
__________________
2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
Mod CG
Currently Using:
Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

Chelley Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #28
 
sassywillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 829
Default

deleted

Last edited by sassywillow; 03-26-2011 at 08:07 AM.
sassywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #29
 
afrosheenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassywillow View Post
Avocado coconut hair butter: This product disppointed me to no end. It is a very thick, waxy butter cream. My product was stiff and dry. It was impossible to distribute thru my hair. It made my hair dry and frizzy. I contacted the owner and she said that I could warm it up somewhat to get a creamier consistency. That didn't work. And there are small particles of wax in my cream. It only softens my hair when it is wet. On dry hair it feels like I am putting wax and corn starch in my hair. Not for my hair type, I guess. Defintely not a repurchase.
Aww... I wanted to try this. Out of curiosity does your jar say that it has beeswax or candelilla? On the website it says there was a change on the beeswax.
__________________
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #30
 
Naturalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassywillow View Post
Avocado coconut hair butter: This product disppointed me to no end. It is a very thick, waxy butter cream. My product was stiff and dry. It was impossible to distribute thru my hair. It made my hair dry and frizzy. I contacted the owner and she said that I could warm it up somewhat to get a creamier consistency. That didn't work. And there are small particles of wax in my cream. It only softens my hair when it is wet. On dry hair it feels like I am putting wax and corn starch in my hair. Not for my hair type, I guess. Defintely not a repurchase.
Aww... I wanted to try this. Out of curiosity does your jar say that it has beeswax or candelilla? On the website it says there was a change on the beeswax.
Wow. I think you got a bad batch because mine is whipped butter and HAIR CRACK!! I love it on wet or dry hair. SBB turned me on to it and its a definite repurchase!!

I'm also enjoying the styling gel (strong hold) and the kinky coils pudding. Good stuff!
__________________
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #31
 
afrosheenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalista View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassywillow View Post
Avocado coconut hair butter: This product disppointed me to no end. It is a very thick, waxy butter cream. My product was stiff and dry. It was impossible to distribute thru my hair. It made my hair dry and frizzy. I contacted the owner and she said that I could warm it up somewhat to get a creamier consistency. That didn't work. And there are small particles of wax in my cream. It only softens my hair when it is wet. On dry hair it feels like I am putting wax and corn starch in my hair. Not for my hair type, I guess. Defintely not a repurchase.
Aww... I wanted to try this. Out of curiosity does your jar say that it has beeswax or candelilla? On the website it says there was a change on the beeswax.
Wow. I think you got a bad batch because mine is whipped butter and HAIR CRACK!! I love it on wet or dry hair. SBB turned me on to it and its a definite repurchase!!

I'm also enjoying the styling gel (strong hold) and the kinky coils pudding. Good stuff!
I'm going to try this. I'm having a devil of a time finding something that is shea-free. The ingredients look so good!
__________________
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
 
sassywillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 829
Default

deleted

Last edited by sassywillow; 03-26-2011 at 08:09 AM.
sassywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #33
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

Avocado Coconut milk Hair butter - I think how you use it makes a difference. I use it mostly on dry hair for 2nd + day moisture, mixed with Devacurl Set it Free and scrunched in. A very small amount. I may also scrunch it on wet hair over a leave-in for a moisture hit -again, a small amount.

These days, my hair is liking thicker products for 2nd and 3rd day styling: Devacurl Set Up and Above, Botanical Spirits, Aquage Gellade, Qhemet Olive Honey Hair Balm.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Last edited by Suburbanbushbabe; 10-10-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #34
 
sassywillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 829
Default

deleted

Last edited by sassywillow; 03-26-2011 at 08:09 AM.
sassywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassywillow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
Avocado Coconut milk Hair butter - I think how you use it makes a difference. I use it mostly on dry hair for 2nd + day moisture, mixed with Devacurl Set it Free and scrunched in. A very small amount. I may also scrunch it on wet hair over a leave-in for a moisture hit -again, a small amount.

These days, my hair is liking thicker products for 2nd and 3rd day styling: Devacurl Set Up and Above, Botanical Spirits, Aquage Gellade, Qhemet Olive Honey Hair Balm.
Meh. My jar had too much wax in it. It wasn't even spreadable. I added coconut milk, glycerin and avocado oil to it and a got a nice creamy, whipped consistency.

Are you still using the curl tamer conditioner? I think I got a bad batch of that one too. Way too acidic and watery.
The deep conditioner? I haven't reordered, but I like it. It was pretty thick.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #36
 
sassywillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassywillow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
Avocado Coconut milk Hair butter - I think how you use it makes a difference. I use it mostly on dry hair for 2nd + day moisture, mixed with Devacurl Set it Free and scrunched in. A very small amount. I may also scrunch it on wet hair over a leave-in for a moisture hit -again, a small amount.

These days, my hair is liking thicker products for 2nd and 3rd day styling: Devacurl Set Up and Above, Botanical Spirits, Aquage Gellade, Qhemet Olive Honey Hair Balm.
Meh. My jar had too much wax in it. It wasn't even spreadable. I added coconut milk, glycerin and avocado oil to it and a got a nice creamy, whipped consistency.

Are you still using the curl tamer conditioner? I think I got a bad batch of that one too. Way too acidic and watery.
The deep conditioner? I haven't reordered, but I like it. It was pretty thick.
Not anymore. As I said above she took out the coffee butter so it is thin with no emolliency and no slip. I was so disappointed.
sassywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #37
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

I REALLY like this line. It does make my hair feel...strange, but it feels "protected". It's weird. It's probably because of the glycerin (which I normally avoid in the winter) in the Hydrating Spritz. I love the way the products smell, too. I can smell the organic apple juice, in the Kinky Coils Pudding.

My hair texture is prone to frizzing. I go with the flow. No biggie. The pudding manages frizz better than any product I've ever tried. My twists look "neater" and tighter. I don't understand HOW it does it, but it does. The Avocado Coconut Milk Butter is GREAT for sealing the ends. It's thick, rich and "waxy", which is PERFECT for my hair, in the winter time.

I have the puree (extra strength), which I'll use for two-strand twists, when I retwist.

Again, my hair does feel "odd", as someone else mentioned. But when I come in from the cold, my hair feels soft and conditioned...I usually wear a hat, when it's super cold, but my ends still peek out from underneath the hat.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #38
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

I ordered the "new" products over the weekend. New formula of the Puree and the Stretch Curls Gelee. Got the email that they were sent yesterday, but they aren't in the USPS system yet. Can't wait to get and try them.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #39
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

First of all, let me give you the link. The one in the first post no longer works: botanicalspirits.com - Home

I tried the new formula of the puree.

Ingredients: Botanical Spirits Herbal Complex SC™ Infused in Water, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Raw Honey, Botanical Spirits Gelling Complex GA™, Grapeseed Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Panthenol (Vit.B5), MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Calendula Flower Extract, Grapefruit seed extract, Potassium Sorbate, Frangrance.

Don't remember if I posted the original ingredients. All I can say is that this time, she got her formulation PERFECT! I've used it a few times and my hair didn't feel "odd" when I was done. I use one of the Marie Dean jar products under it and I find that just a little jelly (EW SAJ) on top works really well. I get absolutely NO frizz and my hair holds up really well. I could probably do second day hair--if I did second day hair.

The other product I bought was a new one. The Stretch Curls Gelee.

ngredients: Plant Mucilage Complex Aqueous Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Coconut Milk, Agave Nectar Extract, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Avocado oil, Coconut Oil, Glucose, Maltodextrin, Sodium Lactate, Lemongrass Extract, Lavender Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Gluconotactone, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Calceinate, Hydrolyzed Silk Powder, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance.

It think it's supposed to be more moisturizing and better for the dry, cold winter/low dewpoints. Right now, I don't like this product as much as I LOVE the puree. When I used the MD jar product, it felt "gummy." By itself, it wasn't enough (for people looking for stretching, it might be great.) With a lighter leave in, it was okay. I'm thinking that this product might be great by itself in higher dewpoints. I'll have to wait to try it until it warms up a bit.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #40
 
Naturalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
First of all, let me give you the link. The one in the first post no longer works: botanicalspirits.com - Home

I tried the new formula of the puree.

Ingredients: Botanical Spirits Herbal Complex SC™ Infused in Water, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Raw Honey, Botanical Spirits Gelling Complex GA™, Grapeseed Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Panthenol (Vit.B5), MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Calendula Flower Extract, Grapefruit seed extract, Potassium Sorbate, Frangrance.

Don't remember if I posted the original ingredients. All I can say is that this time, she got her formulation PERFECT! I've used it a few times and my hair didn't feel "odd" when I was done. I use one of the Marie Dean jar products under it and I find that just a little jelly (EW SAJ) on top works really well. I get absolutely NO frizz and my hair holds up really well. I could probably do second day hair--if I did second day hair.

The other product I bought was a new one. The Stretch Curls Gelee.

ngredients: Plant Mucilage Complex Aqueous Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Coconut Milk, Agave Nectar Extract, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Avocado oil, Coconut Oil, Glucose, Maltodextrin, Sodium Lactate, Lemongrass Extract, Lavender Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Gluconotactone, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Calceinate, Hydrolyzed Silk Powder, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance.

It think it's supposed to be more moisturizing and better for the dry, cold winter/low dewpoints. Right now, I don't like this product as much as I LOVE the puree. When I used the MD jar product, it felt "gummy." By itself, it wasn't enough (for people looking for stretching, it might be great.) With a lighter leave in, it was okay. I'm thinking that this product might be great by itself in higher dewpoints. I'll have to wait to try it until it warms up a bit.
I LOVE the original puree, so I was afraid that she was gonna ruin it so I stocked up. LOL! Hmm.. I'll have to wait to justify that purchase.

The Stretch Gelee with all the dry issues and the shrinkage I have sounds like it might be nice until you said it needs a little help. Hmm...
__________________
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com