Ion's Volumizing Solutions Vitalizing Thickening Styler

Long annoying name, great cheapo product!

A lot of my fave products have been getting a lot of love on the board lately. Spiral Solutions and the new CJ stuff to name a few. However, a month or so ago, I picked up Ion's Vitalizing Thickening Styler on a whim. Its completely CG and it has pretty simple ingredients. Its only 5 or so bucks at Sally's. yes, the gel has a light blue tint to it as well as being in an odd blue bottle.

It has turned out to be one of my Go-To products. I really dig this stuff. My fave leave in to use under it is CJ BC. I wash (either low-poo or CJ DFCC) and then use a pea sized amt of leave in -- scrunched upside down, and then a generous nickel sized blob of this, scrunched in upside down on still wet hair. I keep going with nickel sized blobs until my hair is covered. Usually its just one blob, but if my hair isn't wet enough, I'll need another one. Sometimes it gets kinda foamy, if my hair is too wet, but that doesn't effect the end look at all. Then I'll scrunch in two pumps of Chi Infra Gel, and blot with my flour sack towel.

After diffusing I have great wurls that will last through sleeping and give me decent (nothing looks as good as freshly styled hair) next day hair. I also get a little added volume -- not as nice as the CCCC lite, but my style will hold longer.

I really love this stuff. It has become one of my main stylers, and I've found myself using CCCC Lite, Ion Thickening Styler, or SS CEJ as one of my main choices. With DB NCCJ thrown in there for same day styling-- this gives me okay next day hair, just a little frizzy. Usually, I use the Ion after all DT/PT on Sunday night, so I won't have too much to do to my hair when I have to get up early for Monday morning classes.

Anyway, I thought this might be good for some of the other Wurlies/Curlies who are looking for some volume and hold! It also plays well with a ton of different products, so sometimes I like to use this as a "measuring tool" for new products.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Long annoying name, great cheapo product!

Originally Posted by goobernut
Thanks for this - I'll see if I can get it in the UK - I'm always looking for something to try for more volume. Fine hair is such a pain!
UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
Hair loves protein!
new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!
Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
Thanks so much for sharing! I love awesome new Sally's discoveries!!
Yes thanks Goob for sharing!!!

Next time I hit up Sally's this is going on my list...I'd probably not have picked it up with that name LOL--I'd of taken one look and gone..wha?? na....hahah
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
I don't even REMEMBER why I picked it up. I think I was at Sally's while the DS was in school just to have a little relax me time. Or maybe I was there looking for something else (apHogee maybe?), anyway, I almost put it down several times -- always battling the PJ -- but I'm glad I brought it home! its looks so cheesy -- its in a blue sparkly bottle.

It almost makes me wanna try their Volume solutions condish hah. I've learned that lesson the hard way though -- just cause you like one product in a line, doesn't mean they are all good!!! hah.

Goob - I have questions... I don't think you've addressed this, but I could have missed it. It looks like this product is something like a gel but do you get any crunch with it? I usually don't apply gel/jelly products upside down because I get crunchy, stringy roots. It sounds like this styler doesn't do that, but just want to check. Also, does it give you more hold than volume or vice versa? TIA
Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.
And you know I'm thinking this might be similar to the Razzamatazz Jellie that I got a month or so ago

I ought to send you some Goob so you can tell me is it similar
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
@tonzofcurls -- Well, I just don't get crunch with much of anything anymore, esp if I use a leave in. Which I do with this product. I get very mild, teeny, crunch with this that is gone in an hour or so. I think the high dews combo'd with my on the higher side porosity cause this.

It has several ingredients for hold in it. There are several co-polymers, but the product itself states that it has "light hold". I use a harder hold gel on top, and I still don't get a lot of crunch... so whatever that tells ya

This product gives me HOLD and VOLUME, but NOT curl enhancement. Does that make sense? My curls aren't as well formed as say with CCCC Lite, but the waves that form are there to stay, and last better through sleeping.

I'll have to look up the ingred on the Razz jellie. I remember wanting to order it because HeatherOkay liked it, but then didn't they just stop shipping or randomly stopped filling orders or something?

I bought this and tried it out this morning. I'm so glad you recommended it. I would never have given this a second glance in the store. I used a leave in and applied 4 nickel-to-quarter sized blobs of the styler around my head. I layered it under the Spiral Solutions Firm Hold gel - which I love because of its creamy texture. I SOTC and found soft, well-formed curls with the perfect amount of hold!
Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN

I'm glad you liked it! I'm always scared to recommend stuff. I'll have to try it with the FHG, mines in the mail!

I hear ya on the recommendations! I'm wondering how this compares to the Paul Mitchell Thicken Up? Have you tried it or the GVP version? I saw the GVP at Sally's and noticed that the texture of the stylers seemed similar but the GVP was double the amount (8oz) for the same price. The GVP has two PEG-Dimethicones but, being water soluble, I think it would still be considered CG? I'm curious to try it because I love the light hold plus volume I'm getting with the Ion product.
Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN

I have the thicken up, but I've never used it on its own. I've always mixed it with the Round Trip. I'll have to use it the way I use the Ion stuff and see if its similar.