- - Quick Tomato Sauce
||07-13-2010 07:26 PM
Quick Tomato Sauce
I love quick good recipes. This one is a keeper-it's from Cooks Illustrated. It tasted really fresh-I used Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes. I really like the Whole Food Brand crushed tomatoes as well. I only had salted butter so I used that and used a bit less salt.
High-quality canned tomatoes will make a big difference in this sauce. Our preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Tuttorosso and Muir Glen. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater."
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated onions (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- to taste ground black pepper
- Makes 3 cups, enough for 1 pound of pasta.
- Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to simmer.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in basil and oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com