Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Straightening/relaxing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default Relaxing only one section of hair

Does anybody only relax sections of their hair, rather than the full head?

I am relaxed 3a/3b throughout most of my head and, now that my hair is getting longer, I don’t really need a relaxer to achieve the style and look I want. Here’s my dilemma though.

I have a one-inch wide patch of 3c (possibly even 4a!) along my back hairline that just has a mind of its own. This section exhausts me. It is nearly resistant to relaxer, drinks conditioner by the bottle, puffs out one minute then shrinks up the next, throws tantrums in public, mocks me in the mirror, knots up if I don’t babysit it throughout the day, etc.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any tips, advice? I’ve come too far to give up and chop it off. I want to make this work
curlyprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
 
Hakim Nuraldin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,456
Default

WTF!
Useless troll!
Hakim Nuraldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
 
DimePiece17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyprince View Post
Does anybody only relax sections of their hair, rather than the full head?

I am relaxed 3a/3b throughout most of my head and, now that my hair is getting longer, I donít really need a relaxer to achieve the style and look I want. Hereís my dilemma though.

I have a one-inch wide patch of 3c (possibly even 4a!) along my back hairline that just has a mind of its own. This section exhausts me. It is nearly resistant to relaxer, drinks conditioner by the bottle, puffs out one minute then shrinks up the next, throws tantrums in public, mocks me in the mirror, knots up if I donít babysit it throughout the day, etc.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any tips, advice? Iíve come too far to give up and chop it off. I want to make this work

I can't say I've had similar experiences, but I can say many of us curlies have several different hair textures on our heads. I love love love the hair on my ride side...my left sid just doesn't curl as much...and is frizzier. The back of my hair is a much looser curl. You just have to work with it...it takes a while, but you learn to apply product differently to the different sections of you hair.

I was sick of the frizzy hair at my temples so I bought a kiddie relaxer and tried to relax the hair at my temples...All I can say is, it' now been one year...and the hair is still super short and thin at my temples. in fact...I don't even wear pony tails because of it...so I wouldn't do it If I were you.
DimePiece17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakim Nuraldin View Post
WTF!
Useless troll!
That was a rude and useless reply Hakim.
curlyprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairguru17 View Post
I can't say I've had similar experiences, but I can say many of us curlies have several different hair textures on our heads. I love love love the hair on my ride side...my left sid just doesn't curl as much...and is frizzier. The back of my hair is a much looser curl. You just have to work with it...it takes a while, but you learn to apply product differently to the different sections of you hair.

I was sick of the frizzy hair at my temples so I bought a kiddie relaxer and tried to relax the hair at my temples...All I can say is, it' now been one year...and the hair is still super short and thin at my temples. in fact...I don't even wear pony tails because of it...so I wouldn't do it If I were you.
Thanks Hairguru 17! I've been playing around with it quite a bit lately and found that loading up on conditioner seems to help a lot. I'm still debating whether to relax that section again, but I may just see how this "saturation" method goes. I was watching a TV show and saw someone call that section a "kitchen area" and really got a good laugh.
curlyprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
 
Feralcurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default

Hakim was replying to a troll. That message has been deleted now. So it looks like she was replying to you curlyprince but she wasn't .

The very middle of the back of my head is super dry and knots like crazy. On reflection I think it is because it misses out on conditioner and product due to the way I put it on. Rather than letting the hair hang straight when I put stuff in it, I sort of pulling it into a pony tail so the very middle back doesn't get as much product on it. Does that make sense?? I think too much about my hair!
Feralcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,628
Default Try Pantene

I have coffee stirs that seem to tangle easily, hard to keep moisturized and shrink the most. You might try that new product by Pantene that relaxes the curls. I bought the conditioner. It has cones. The first time I didn't follow the directions and tried it as a leave it. Don't do that. The second time I followed the directions and my curls were temporarily looser. The problem was my naturally looser curls were too loose. That would be a problem with section relaxing. How not to get it on the hair you don't want to change.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
 
VersaceCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakim Nuraldin View Post
WTF!
Useless troll!

Tha HAYLE is wrong wit chu?!
__________________
http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/



CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!
VersaceCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
 
VersaceCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralcurls View Post
Hakim was replying to a troll. That message has been deleted now. So it looks like she was replying to you curlyprince but she wasn't .

The very middle of the back of my head is super dry and knots like crazy. On reflection I think it is because it misses out on conditioner and product due to the way I put it on. Rather than letting the hair hang straight when I put stuff in it, I sort of pulling it into a pony tail so the very middle back doesn't get as much product on it. Does that make sense?? I think too much about my hair!
Oh ok...my bad. I responded before reading all of the comments.


To curlyprince:

I feel your pain. I have the same issue myself. About 7 years ago (before I stopped using a relaxer all together)...I used to use the "Just For Me" kiddie relaxer right in the upper middle of my head. It's the driest (seems like 4z) and tangles like crazy. It seems to have gotten worse since I don't get my hair flat-ironed much anymore (probably every 6 months lol).

Even though using the relaxer definitely helped to loosen my curls in that section, making it easier to comb...I stopped doing it because I had alot of shedding.

I wouldn't suggest it although I KNOW how frustrating it is having hair like that.
__________________
http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/



CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!

Last edited by VersaceCrazy; 07-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
VersaceCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com