Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Straightening/relaxing

Like Tree16Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Unhappy How can I get my hair to be permanently straight and silky?

Hello everyone,

I know in a former post I said that I wanted to wear my hair natural, but I'm still insecure about that...

I've tried usual relaxers and thermal reconditioning, but I've never been satisfied with the outcome. After the treatments my hair was beautiful only until the first time I washed it. After that it turned really dry and fried-looking.
I always took really good care of my hair so I don't understand why it reacts so badly to the chemical straightening. I know these treatments always cause some damage, but why does it work for some of you but not for me? It has never been as silky straight as promised.

Is there anything else I could try? My hair doesn't even need to be pin straight, wavy would be perfect for me. Its natural pattern is 3b.

Thank you,

Galaxy


(Please excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker)
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
 
ashlyndmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 140
Default

I say learn to love your hair. Your hair isn't the problem its your perception. So do tons of research on how to care for curls and surround yourself with pictures of beautiful curly-haired ladies.

If the chemicals don't do well with your hair maybe its a sign to embrace what u got.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
ashlyndmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

You can't, any straightening is highly damaging and thus unlikely to leave you with silky feeling hair.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Ok, thanks for your replies
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
 
BotticelliBrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Default

I mean, I'd say to embrace your curls with the techniques on this site BUT it is your hair and you should be able to wear it how YOU want it.

When I used to straighten my hair I used the Japanese Yuko Hair Straightening system. It's something that, of course, needs to be done by a hairdresser and there are a fair few in London that do it. The whole process, if I remember right, takes 4 hours, but the end result really was fantastic.

My hair was SUPER straight and felt really silky and smooth. The effects are permanent, so you just go back to the hairdressers every 6 months or so to have your roots done. I had this done to my hair for years.

However, just be aware this treatment actually completely changes the internal structure of your hair, so I won't say it isn't damaging. Brazilian/Keratin treatments temporarily coat hair with keratin to smooth hair, whereas YUKO reconstructs the protein bond and reshapes the hair to make it lie flat. It rebuilds the hair from the inside and completely alters the structure of your hair. The hair is then sealed in this shape so that, when you re-wash it, it will dry straight.

Some people have said their hair looks and feels better after this treatment (if I remember right it doesn't contain harmful chemicals) and I have had good experiences with it. But, like I said, this does completely reconstruct your hair to make it straight, so once you have it done then there's no going back - you have to wait until your hair grows out!

Do some research and see what you think
curlypearl and claudine191 like this.
__________________
Allie

Curly type: 3A Botticelli curls. Medium porosity. Medium density.
Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut
Conditioner: TRESemmé Naturals
D/C: Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
Leave-in: As I Am / Giovanni Direct
Styler: Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly / KCCC


CG since October 2013.
SL when curly, APL when straight. Aiming for WL (eventually)

Last edited by BotticelliBrit; 12-16-2013 at 07:32 AM.
BotticelliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
 
claudine191's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,804
Default

I agree with both accepting what you have — it's an uphill battle to fight nature; but I also think BB is right: you should wear what you want.

I would try to think about your reasons for wanting a particular hair type before taking any action. As a wavy who sometimes winds up with straight hair on especially cold, windy days, I personally find straight, silky hair a real drag. Still, it's your choice.

I hope that whatever you decide works well for you.
claudine191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotticelliBrit View Post
When I used to straighten my hair I used the Japanese Yuko Hair Straightening system. It's something that, of course, needs to be done by a hairdresser and there are a fair few in London that do it. The whole process, if I remember right, takes 4 hours, but the end result really was fantastic.
That's actually what I've tried
I had it done by a hairdresser in a - at least what I thought - really qualified salon. But it turned out really bad. Maybe the hairdresser did something wrong? Or my hair is just extremely sensitive?
That's why I'm so frustrated. It made my hair look so bad I had to cut it down to my shoulders.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
 
claudine191's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,804
Default

That's a nice length, though. Easy to work with.
claudine191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

That's actually what I've tried
I had it done by a hairdresser in a - at least what I thought - really qualified salon. But it turned out really bad. Maybe the hairdresser did something wrong? Or my hair is just extremely sensitive?
That's why I'm so frustrated. It made my hair look so bad I had to cut it down to my shoulders.
Yeah, so many of us have had issues with both treatments mentioned. One that comes as a surprise is that lots of folks realize stick straight hair isn't something they really wanted, once they have it. Society keeps sending impossible, conflicting messages lol: Curls and waves come in and out of style and if your hair is straight, it's often expected that it also needs to have body, "character". So out comes the curling wand (which may or may not be effective). Ironic.

You can choose to go natural or not, with the understanding that nature tends to have the last word if you try and fight her.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
 
BotticelliBrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
That's actually what I've tried
I had it done by a hairdresser in a - at least what I thought - really qualified salon. But it turned out really bad. Maybe the hairdresser did something wrong? Or my hair is just extremely sensitive?
That's why I'm so frustrated. It made my hair look so bad I had to cut it down to my shoulders.
Oh, really? That's crazy! I had it done for years and never had problems.
Maybe it was the salon? What did they do to your hair exactly (like, what was the process they used?)?

Then again, maybe you just had a bad reaction. Like you said, your hair could be sensitive. I know some people can have problems with treatments like that.

What was the end result? You said it looked bad, but what do you mean? Was it not straight?
__________________
Allie

Curly type: 3A Botticelli curls. Medium porosity. Medium density.
Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut
Conditioner: TRESemmé Naturals
D/C: Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
Leave-in: As I Am / Giovanni Direct
Styler: Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly / KCCC


CG since October 2013.
SL when curly, APL when straight. Aiming for WL (eventually)
BotticelliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

A keratin straightening might be able to 'relax' a certain level of curl, but it cannot make coarse hair finer nor get rid of kinks (where hair twists on itself and is fatter and thinner down the length, see diagrams on Natural Haven blog). These could prevent hair feeling soft and silky, aside from the heat damage.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotticelliBrit View Post

Oh, really? That's crazy! I had it done for years and never had problems.
Maybe it was the salon? What did they do to your hair exactly (like, what was the process they used?)?

Then again, maybe you just had a bad reaction. Like you said, your hair could be sensitive. I know some people can have problems with treatments like that.

What was the end result? You said it looked bad, but what do you mean? Was it not straight?
Well it wasn't "Yuko" but a similar brand and the same treatment.

At first they washed my hair and put some product in it that straightened it. Then they blow-dried and straightened it and used another product of the same brand. It took about 4 hours. My hair looked great right after the treatment but after washing it for the first time 3 days later, it turned really dry and kinda "fluffy", I don't know. A few weeks later it started to look stiff like a brush and really frizzy.

Thank you for helping me, everyone
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Default

Why don't you just go natural but keep your hair straight? Just because a person is natural doesn't mean they have to wear their hair curly. Curly hair doesn't suit everyone. To me it's the same as if someone is naturally a brunette but they go blonde.

You really don't have to have a straightening treatment in your head in order to achieve straight hair. If straightening treatments haven't worked out for you then it's best to stop doing them and keep trimming your hair regularly until all of the straightening treatments are out of your head.

You have a looser curl pattern so you may be able to blow-dry your hair straight. Or you can go to a hair salon to get it done. I spread oil throughout my whole head (especially the ends) before blow-drying and by the end of it no hair is on the floor You may prefer to use a different moisturizer as I don't know if oil with weigh down your hair. Flat-ironing can be more damaging which is why I suggest simply using a blow-dryer.

There's a lot of different products that can protect your hair from frizz. During the spring and/or summer, though, maintaining straight hair will probably get tough. As temperatures rise, you may find yourself having to re-straighten your hair a lot more. I keep my hair curly during all of the hot months, plus I swim a lot so straight hair is very impractical for me during summer.

No matter whether you decide to start wearing your hair curly or you'd rather keep it straightened, find ways to work with your hair instead of trying to fight it.
curlypearl likes this.
__________________
Hair type: 4b with 3c on top
High density, medium porosity, thick with medium width strands, back grows faster than front

Length: APL | BSL | MBL | WL
GotitorDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
 
BotticelliBrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Default

If it wasn't Yuko, then perhaps Yuko could work for you? Whatever you do, you should always have a consultation with the stylist beforehand and they should be able to tell you if your hair is in good enough condition, how it would work on your specific hair type etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotitorDont View Post
You have a looser curl pattern so you may be able to blow-dry your hair straight. Or you can go to a hair salon to get it done. I spread oil throughout my whole head (especially the ends) before blow-drying and by the end of it no hair is on the floor You may prefer to use a different moisturizer as I don't know if oil with weigh down your hair. Flat-ironing can be more damaging which is why I suggest simply using a blow-dryer.
Blow-dryers aren't as bad as flat irons, but they're still pretty damaging (it always makes me laugh when Lorraine Massey calls them blow-fryers LOL). Plus, I get what Galaxy is after; having to straighten your hair everyday or so can be a nightmare, take up SO much time and energy and be damaging. With 3B I can see that taking a lot of time to straighten (as someone with 3A / 3B I know this from experience). Plus a little bit of rain ... BAM. 'Fro time! Hehe
__________________
Allie

Curly type: 3A Botticelli curls. Medium porosity. Medium density.
Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut
Conditioner: TRESemmé Naturals
D/C: Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
Leave-in: As I Am / Giovanni Direct
Styler: Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly / KCCC


CG since October 2013.
SL when curly, APL when straight. Aiming for WL (eventually)
BotticelliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

I'm trying to respect that this straightening forum is for the collective interest of those who want to straighten. But the OP said she does want to wear her hair natural but is just insecure about it, like so many of us have been at the start of our natural hair journeys. Galaxy, want you to know I and a bunch of others here at NC, I'm sure, will help you if you want to bring out your beautiful curls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotitorDont View Post
Curly hair doesn't suit everyone
I question how many naturally curly people would think or say, "Curly hair isn't for me", if we didn't live in a society that heavily pushes Eurocentric, straight/blond hair so hard.

Quote:
No matter whether you decide to start wearing your hair curly or you'd rather keep it straightened, find ways to work with your hair instead of trying to fight it.
But constantly straightening curly hair means "fighting" curly hair IMO. And constant straightening by any means tends to be more expensive in the long run, both monetarily and to the "health", look and feel of the hair.

Last edited by Korkscrew; 12-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
I'm trying to respect that this straightening forum is for the collective interest of those who want to straighten. But the OP said she does want to wear her hair natural but is just insecure about it, like so many of us have been at the start of our natural hair journeys. Galaxy, want you to know I and a bunch of others here at NC, I'm sure, will help you if you want to bring out your beautiful curls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotitorDont View Post
Curly hair doesn't suit everyone
I question how many naturally curly people would think or say, "Curly hair isn't for me", if we didn't live in a society that heavily pushes Eurocentric, straight/blond hair so hard.

Quote:
No matter whether you decide to start wearing your hair curly or you'd rather keep it straightened, find ways to work with your hair instead of trying to fight it.
But constantly straightening curly hair means "fighting" curly hair IMO. And constant straightening by any means tends to be more expensive in the long run, both monetarily and to the "health", look and feel of the hair.
Thanks a lot, Korkscrew

That was such a lovely reply.
Korkscrew likes this.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

You're welcome
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
 
AngelaE8654's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotticelliBrit View Post
I mean, I'd say to embrace your curls with the techniques on this site BUT it is your hair and you should be able to wear it how YOU want it.
That's how I see things, too. I love, love, love curly hair (I like other people's curly hair better than my own ) but I also think silky straight hair can be beautiful, too. Everyone is different and everyone gets to make their own choice about how they want to look and what they want their hair to do.
__________________


2c or 3A; can't really tell. Probably a "curly" 2c. Been thick and coarse since birth. Healthy hair and a great cut will show your curls in all their glory.


All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier.
AngelaE8654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #19
 
dixygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 101
Default

Thermal Reconditioning or Japanese Straighteners by ION worked really well for me. The ONLY reason I am natural now is to get ultra long hair like hip length and below. If that does not happen w/i 2 more years, I may just go back to either Japanese straighteners or try a BKT bc I am really not impressed by frizzy curls at all
__________________
3B, fine, normal porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
Conditioner: many
Co-Wash: $ store cream rinse
Leave in Products: coconut milk & coconut oil
dixygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 51
Default

There is no such thing as getting your hair "permanently" straight & silky, you have to be born with it...
NayaMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com