Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Straightening/relaxing

Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #1

Join Date: Mar 2003
Default My review of Maxiglide!

Hi! I bought a Maxiglide and a Conair Infiniti styler today at linens'n'things. With the humidity this time of year I've been straightening more because I can't deal with the frizz! I tried the Maxiglide today and wrote a review on Amazon, which I'll copy here. I'll try the Infiniti next time I wash, in about 2 days. Anyway, here's my review of the Maxiglide:

I could not wait to review this once I saw the results. I was a little hesitant to buy "another" hair straightener, as I already own several, including a CHI Turbo, Revlon, and a Conair. I read the reviews and decided to take a chance, knowing I could always return it if it didn't work well. The main reason I bought this was for the combs in the plate~ something my other flat irons do not have. I have very tight, dry, curly, frizzy hair. Usually I use my CHI, at the highest setting, and it takes me about 40 minutes to straighten. I would have to go over some sections several times, especially near the crown. I would only get decent results from my CHI if I blow-dried my hair first. If I wore it curly for the day and tried to straighten at night there would be many places where the curl was too tight to get out. I live in HOT Arizona and I've been getting very frustrated with the routine of straightening my hair and how long it takes!

So today I bought the Maxiglide. I got a great deal at Linens'N'Things (with a coupon, it was $64). I wore my hair curly today, with LOTS of product in it, so this is what I consider the "ultimate" test.

Let me cut to the chase and say I am *amazed* at how well the results are. I used a clip to put my hair up and started at the bottom sections. It was as easy as brushing my hair, gliding over each section semi-slowly. I noticed if I squeezed the iron that it would tend to get stuck~ the instructions say do not squeeze; glide. It only took me a few tries to get the hang of it and from then on it was a breeze and it did not get caught. It felt like I was brushing my hair and I only had to pass over each section ONCE! Plus no brushing every section beforehand as I had to do with the CHI. This is such a huge timesaver!! I used the steam feature a couple of times on areas where my hair is drier and it really did help to make it look smoother and more healthy.

When I was done with all the sections I did the 'mirror test'~ checking the back. This was always my problem area with the CHI, where I would find many places where the curl was not out. Boy, was I shocked when I saw that my entire head of hair was straight~ no missing places!! I put a little dab of Aveda Brilliance pomade and my hair looks great~ straight, shiny, and healthy. It took about a total of 15 minutes, far less than with my CHI.

I think this product is worth its weight in gold. I am very, very happy with it and plan on telling my other curly-haired friends about it. If you are considering this product, go ahead and give it a chance! It lives up to its promises.
KeepinMyCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #2

Join Date: Jan 2006

i have the maxiglide too , love it! but havent use it much since i started CG... mabye like once outta the month..but be careful the pin plate gave me lil flyaways so make sure u brush out any knots well before using , i just use the flate plate now with the steamer and get still great results without flyaways.
Use Suaves & VO5 Condish For CG-Honey+ Condish=My curls are loving it!
*Suave gels ( love crunchy gels )*My HGs-Re:coil, Jessicurls , Boots , Loreal Spiral Curl Mousse, Tigi Amp*

Old 07-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #3

wild~hair's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2004

Whenever I see the name Maxiglide on here, I always think of ... other things.

Carry on.
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM   #4

lol . funny sfcurlee.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #5

Join Date: Mar 2003

Maxiglide is my all time FAVORITE hair straightener! I have told all my friends about it and anyone that asks me how I got my hair so 'straight' - because it's the BEST!!! Works very.
People will always do what they want to do...no matter what you say!
kurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #6

spiderlashes5000's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005

I'm intrigued! Great reviews, ladies. What about any damaged after repeated use?
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #7

Join Date: Jan 2006

. i only used mine ever so often but i always spray a heat protectant in my hair and get regular trims so i dont ruin my hair , plus i never had to use it up to my scalp area. just halfway down.. just make sure u comb the knots out all the way before u use the comb plate cuz the comb can give u lil flyaways.. i use the flate plate now and i get great results still. also i always keep it on heat #4 and no higher.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #8

Old 07-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #9

asleep to audio's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006

KeepinMyCurls- what type of hair do you have?

CoN green, HE hello hydration, burt's bees super shiny condish, & KCCC.

mostly 3b, mod CG

Smiles are free, so give them away.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
asleep to audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #10

wavy~me~curly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2004

KeepinMyCurls - did you try the Conair infiniti styler yet? how did it work?
I'm curious because I saw it in my Ulta catalog, but I've never seen it on TV, and I'd like to know how it works and if you'd recommend it.
Thanks!
CG since 7/04 2a/3a Carlos:"Strong wavy"
Fine brunette Cut to shoulder length from past bsl - love it shorter = curlier!
Spirals in summer Wavy S's in winter
MOP c-system hydrating poo & moisture complex
wavy~me~curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #11

asleep to audio's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by wavy~me~curly
KeepinMyCurls - did you try the Conair infiniti styler yet? how did it work?
Thanks!
wave~me~curly -
You can see the TV commercial here. Watch the 60 second video, it's in the 2nd one in the 1st column down.

KeepinMyCurls did write a review for the Infiniti - she didn't like it, the review is here.

CoN green, HE hello hydration, burt's bees super shiny condish, & KCCC.

mostly 3b, mod CG

Smiles are free, so give them away.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
asleep to audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to curlyplus2

Maxiglide users, do you all have long hair? Would you use Maxiglide on earlobe length hair or is it too big?
Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly
curlyplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #13

wavy~me~curly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2004

Thanks couturex3curls!
(I don't know why the review thread didn't come up in my search)
That Conair commercial even has the nerve to say "One step"
Thanks KeepinMyCurls for that helpful money-saving review!

I use a big barrelled comb-type curling iron to "straighten" my hair into waves by pulling it through the length slowly - I haven't had the skill to get a regular flat iron to work very well, but I may look into that Maxiglide (they could have picked a better name though, I agree sfcurlee)
CG since 7/04 2a/3a Carlos:"Strong wavy"
Fine brunette Cut to shoulder length from past bsl - love it shorter = curlier!
Spirals in summer Wavy S's in winter
MOP c-system hydrating poo & moisture complex
wavy~me~curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #14

Natakue's Avatar

Originally Posted by curlyplus2
i have medium length hair, and i love my maxiglide! but i'm not sure how it would work with short hair. (actually i'm not sure what earlobe length means... ) the plates are kinda big. but i do know that they sell a miniglide that's perfect for getting closer to the roots, and i know some people with shorter hair use that. the only thing is that it doesn't have the steam function like the big one.
a crazy 4a/3c mix
o/s; thin; thready/cottony?
Natakue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #15

crimson_marie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to crimson_marie

Originally Posted by Natakue
I have thick, curly and textured hair (3b/3c) and I am scared that the maxiglide will pull the hair out since it has teeth. Is there any breakage or tearing at all?
crimson_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #16

Natakue's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2005

no, no tearing or breakage as long as your hair is thoroughly detangled/brushed before you start flatironing. also, you're not supposed to press down on your hair as hard as you normally do when using other flatirons. with the maxiglide, you literally "glide" it through your hair! my hair is 3c/4a (much smaller curls than you, if that's your pic in the avatar) and i don't get any tearing when i use it.

also, i never use mine above heat setting 2, and the dial goes all the way up to 10! it really is a great flatiron.
a crazy 4a/3c mix
o/s; thin; thready/cottony?
Natakue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to curlyplus2

Originally Posted by Natakue
Originally Posted by curlyplus2
LOL. Thanks When I said earlobe length, I meant that my hair stops at my earlobes--not quite to my chin.
Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly