CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Straightening/relaxing (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/straightening-relaxing/)
-   -   Anyone had success with do-it-yourself keratin treatment? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/straightening-relaxing/83774-anyone-had-success-do-yourself-keratin-treatment.html)

jen4you 08-20-2009 01:01 PM

Anyone had success with do-it-yourself keratin treatment?
 
If so, what brand & how long did it last? Was it difficult to do?

My hair is damaged from coloring & is a frizzy mess. It is very dry and I have tried everything.

I finally found a salon in my area that offers Coppola, but it is $475. I simply cannot afford that. Please help a stressed out curly mop!

Thanks!

AphroDiva 08-20-2009 07:21 PM

I did it with success. And I love it!!!! You can check out tutorials at Youtube, etc.

Good Luck!

audeo 08-20-2009 09:14 PM

I have had 2 treatments done in salons, bought CKT from ebay and done my own twice. It's pretty brainless, just have to be able to handle a flat iron (although it took me a while to get that down.)

Consider, there is no rush doing it. Wash, apply the treatment, let it sit a while, blow dry partially, then flat iron. Since you don't rinse it out, it doesn't matter how long you take. The hotter the iron and the more you go over a strand, the straighter it stays. I've been experimenting in just doing my crown since salons only do all your hair. Plus, I don't like it so straight it's flat, so I can control it.

My hair was chemically straightened, highlighted, a damaged and dry frizzball. Now it's smooth, under control and growing!

jen4you 08-21-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphroDiva (Post 1074266)
I did it with success. And I love it!!!! You can check out tutorials at Youtube, etc.

Good Luck!

What brand did you use? I am scared because I have blonde highlights and have heard some people's hair turned orange.

Thanks,
Jen

jen4you 08-21-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audeo (Post 1074379)
I have had 2 treatments done in salons, bought CKT from ebay and done my own twice. It's pretty brainless, just have to be able to handle a flat iron (although it took me a while to get that down.)

Consider, there is no rush doing it. Wash, apply the treatment, let it sit a while, blow dry partially, then flat iron. Since you don't rinse it out, it doesn't matter how long you take. The hotter the iron and the more you go over a strand, the straighter it stays. I've been experimenting in just doing my crown since salons only do all your hair. Plus, I don't like it so straight it's flat, so I can control it.

My hair was chemically straightened, highlighted, a damaged and dry frizzball. Now it's smooth, under control and growing!

Wow! I really do want the CKT brand if I can afford it. Do I really need to buy their clarifying shampoo to use before the treatment?

Are you now using their shampoo & conditioner? What about silicone heat protectants? Can those still be used afterwards or would they build up on your hair?

I want to order everything ASAP! I can't wait!

Thanks,
Jen

stylishnicki 08-21-2009 05:41 PM

What website did you guys purchase the CKT from?

audeo 08-21-2009 06:07 PM

I bought a 2 oz bottle of Copolla Keratin Treatment from ebay twice. Each was different, one creamy white and the other a creamy brown. One was obviously not Copolla, probably some other brand, but it worked. One included 2 oz of the clarifying shampoo, but any clarifying would do. I bought the Copolla shampoo and it's ok. I also use Finesse which was $3 at Big lots. Just avoid sodium in products. The only thing I use now is a leave in, Sallys brand of Silk Drops. My hair likes cones.
You can buy larger bottles of Copolla from Frizzy 2 Silky if you want to be sure of brand.

stylishnicki 08-21-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audeo (Post 1075290)
I bought a 2 oz bottle of Copolla Keratin Treatment from ebay twice. Each was different, one creamy white and the other a creamy brown. One was obviously not Copolla, probably some other brand, but it worked. One included 2 oz of the clarifying shampoo, but any clarifying would do. I bought the Copolla shampoo and it's ok. I also use Finesse which was $3 at Big lots. Just avoid sodium in products. The only thing I use now is a leave in, Sallys brand of Silk Drops. My hair likes cones.
You can buy larger bottles of Copolla from Frizzy 2 Silky if you want to be sure of brand.

I tried to order from Brighton Beauty Supply and they told me I needed a stylists license bc "its a professional item"... but I had to call them because I had a problem w/ my CC so I dont know if I didn't call them if they would have actually checked that part out?? I ended up ordering from cosmeticmagic instead... and so far they haven't called to verify a license, but I also placed the order at 430pm on a Friday lol... idk hopefully it goes through... I wanted to do it before I go away next weekend.. lol

rislandgirl 10-14-2009 04:33 PM

You CAN afford Keratin Treatment
 
My stylist of 25 years does an awesome keratin treatment at a very reasonable price. Call Debbie at A Nu U Salon , Cranston, RI 401-946-6398

Malena33 06-10-2011 09:55 PM

Loving Organic Thermo Fusion Keratin Treatment
 
I've been using Organic Thermo Fusion Keratin Treatment. It really repairs hair and eliminates frizz. What I love the most is that you dont need to wait days to wash your hair. You wash it immediately after finishing the treatment.
The instructions are easy, just need to make sure you flat iron higher than 410 degrees, divide in small sections and go over each section about 10 times.
Hair will instantly look very shiny, straight and feel smooth and silky. Its really awesome every time I use it. No Frizz or sponge look for months. I really recommend this one!
They even sell a small kit that lasts for 1 or 2 applications.
Thumbs up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen4you (Post 1073799)
If so, what brand & how long did it last? Was it difficult to do?

My hair is damaged from coloring & is a frizzy mess. It is very dry and I have tried everything.

I finally found a salon in my area that offers Coppola, but it is $475. I simply cannot afford that. Please help a stressed out curly mop!

Thanks!


ringletchk 10-28-2011 03:39 PM

At Home Keratin Complex Treatment **Easy Peasy**
 
I had the Coppola Keratin Complex Blow Out (temp) treatment done at a salon 2 years ago so I would know how it's done.

I have used Coppola Keratin Complex full term product 3 times and I just ordered it again from eBay.

It's VERY easy to use but it is time consuming (1-1/2 hrs) to make sure it's done properly.

Since I don't wash my hair daily it last me between 5-6 months.

GO FOR IT!! IT'S NOT DIFFICULT

LauraWolfhart 07-05-2012 02:01 PM

At my salon we use Cocoa Keratin System because it's gentler on hair and the follow-up shampoo and conditioner is free from sulfates which can really ruin hair and make the keratin treatment last less.

If your hair is as damaged as you say then you might want to take some time to repair it before diving into a heavy treatment. Use natural oils like coconut or argan oil (recommend Pro Naturals moroccan argan oil!). BUT if you have your heart set on a keratin treatment, although I recommend that you get it done by a professional stylist, here's an article that might be useful to you:

Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment Instructions - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Amobailar 08-27-2012 07:14 AM

Just heard about Keratin Treatments
 
This is a great thread. My stylist just recommended I try a keratin treatment but she confused me. First she said it would be straight then she told me I'd still have my curls. So which is it? I like the idea of repairing my hair but I don't want my hair to be straight for several months; I like my curls. Will I lose my curl for a few months or will I have a choice of wearing it straight or curly?

Ozzie1985 08-28-2012 01:07 PM

The way I understand Keratin treatments work, or how my stylist explained it to me, he said since I have very curly hair, it won't be stick straight but it will cut down on the frizz and make hair look smoother, cut down on drying time, and make my curls into nice waves, which is fine with me because sometimes my curls are a pain.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com