Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Transitioning

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Unhappy Different Front To Back??

Hey curlies Im transitioning and it hasn't been very long since I have fully officially started (around 3 weeks). I know that it is still very early in my transition but my hair doesnt look the same all around. In the back of my hair, it looks the exact same as my roots. (I cut a piece very short in the middle of my head to see what my actual hair will grow to be and it matched to hair in the back). But the very front of my hair, edges, and basically just the outer layer of the top when you hair is in a ponytail. It is very poofy and with I add conditioner or something the edges and the rest will become wavy/curly but soon goes right to poofy after it drys. It is very frustrating because even if I see people with different curl pattern or different textures, it not a drastic as what I have. Will it change as the transition continues?
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
 
KiraSavannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 415
Default

Yes it will! You could start thinking your a 2a and end up being a 4c. Are you transitioning from a relaxer or heat damage?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
__________________
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
KiraSavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,182
Default

Most people have 2 hair types. Some areas may have a looser curl pattern than the rest. Example, my front & nape of my neck have a looser curl pattern than the rest of my head. But I work with it. Just figure out what works for both hair personalities you have. With the right hair products both hair personalities can play well together.
curlicious13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraSavannah View Post
Yes it will! You could start thinking your a 2a and end up being a 4c. Are you transitioning from a relaxer or heat damage?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
From Heat Damage. But I was asking because it seems that only the first layer is very poofy and hair that I cut out is growing back softer than the top. All the pieces (I cut in different areas 1.the nape area (very soft fine hair bac there) 2. the top of my head (growing back very soft but not fine) and the back a ways up from the nape (not softer but medium texture)) but they all are very different from the poofy front area. They are all clumped but the top is very poofy, dull, and dry. Will it take like this?
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlicious13 View Post
Most people have 2 hair types. Some areas may have a looser curl pattern than the rest. Example, my front & nape of my neck have a looser curl pattern than the rest of my head. But I work with it. Just figure out what works for both hair personalities you have. With the right hair products both hair personalities can play well together.
Thanks! I realized that about the nape and the rest of my head. Thank you!
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraSavannah View Post
Yes it will! You could start thinking your a 2a and end up being a 4c. Are you transitioning from a relaxer or heat damage?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
Is that you in your avi? My goodness! You are so pretty!
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
 
KiraSavannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 415
Default

My hair sounds similar, my front is puffy for some reason. I'm recovering from heat damage too and its seems to not be going away

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
__________________
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
KiraSavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraSavannah View Post
My hair sounds similar, my front is puffy for some reason. I'm recovering from heat damage too and its seems to not be going away

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
Yea same here. And in the back it is completely straight. Nothing going on back there. The poofy front and the only place that matches my roots are sides in the front but only abit and the rest are much looser
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,182
Default

Kirasavannah from what I've heard, you will at some point have to cut out the heat damage because that can't be fixed.
curlicious13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
 
KiraSavannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 415
Default

I cut 3 inches in june(hopefully no more), my favorite curly hair stylist the Curl Doctor "Shai Amiel" told me it was worth trying to revive if all the elasticity wasn't gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlicious13 View Post
Kirasavannah from what I've heard, you will at some point have to cut out the heat damage because that can't be fixed.


Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
__________________
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
KiraSavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmel View Post
Hey curlies Im transitioning and it hasn't been very long since I have fully officially started (around 3 weeks). I know that it is still very early in my transition but my hair doesnt look the same all around. In the back of my hair, it looks the exact same as my roots. (I cut a piece very short in the middle of my head to see what my actual hair will grow to be and it matched to hair in the back). But the very front of my hair, edges, and basically just the outer layer of the top when you hair is in a ponytail. It is very poofy and with I add conditioner or something the edges and the rest will become wavy/curly but soon goes right to poofy after it drys. It is very frustrating because even if I see people with different curl pattern or different textures, it not a drastic as what I have. Will it change as the transition continues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmel View Post
From Heat Damage. But I was asking because it seems that only the first layer is very poofy and hair that I cut out is growing back softer than the top. All the pieces (I cut in different areas 1.the nape area (very soft fine hair bac there) 2. the top of my head (growing back very soft but not fine) and the back a ways up from the nape (not softer but medium texture)) but they all are very different from the poofy front area. They are all clumped but the top is very poofy, dull, and dry. Will it take like this?
Sounds like some areas are more damaged than others, either you focussed your heat styling on those areas, or they got extra sun exposure or extra brushing or suchlike that added to the heat damage. Ponytails can be very damaging to the hair, especially the parts that are exposed, due to the brushing, pulling/ strain and the elastic itself even if you use a no snag band.

If you still have frizz you may need to use far more leave in conditioner or do more intensive treatments (esp. coconut oil and hydrolysed protein for damaged or porous hair). Be sure you are selecting products and ingredients based on your hair properties and dew points/ humidity.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
 
lotusflwrpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraSavannah View Post
My hair sounds similar, my front is puffy for some reason. I'm recovering from heat damage too and its seems to not be going away

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
Yea same here. And in the back it is completely straight. Nothing going on back there. The poofy front and the only place that matches my roots are sides in the front but only abit and the rest are much looser
Mine too what do you guys use my hair in the back is a 2b and the rest of my hair is 3b. My crown area is always dry and a little coarse. Idk what to do with it
lotusflwrpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
 
wheretostart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 225
Default

My hair is different all over - the stuff by my neck is 2A and very coarse. The stuff right in front - the "bangs" area is super thin and fragile and 3A - borderline 3B. The rest is 2C . It was frustrating at first - but as I gets healthier, I am also getting better at knowing how to work with it and even it out a bit.
__________________
3A/2C fine, normal porosity & elasticity, medium high density

Current products:
YTCucs Color Protection Low poo
GVP Conditioning Balm
Random gels - not sure which ones I like, if any at this point!


HG Summer Routine:
poo - TMW Hydrate
RO & LI - Darcy's Pumpkin Seed
Leave in Products: CHSCK & LALMG
PT - CJ RM
DT - EVCO

Currently trying to figure out a winter routine and transition to a less harsh "poo" for summer.
wheretostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflwrpea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraSavannah View Post
My hair sounds similar, my front is puffy for some reason. I'm recovering from heat damage too and its seems to not be going away

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
Yea same here. And in the back it is completely straight. Nothing going on back there. The poofy front and the only place that matches my roots are sides in the front but only abit and the rest are much looser
Mine too what do you guys use my hair in the back is a 2b and the rest of my hair is 3b. My crown area is always dry and a little coarse. Idk what to do with it
Same here. Im 3b/c everywhere and probably 2c to 3a in the nape areI dont really use anything, somtimes the side of the puff with show a curl but other times not at all. But to keep it under wraps I tie a satin scarf over the front to lay down the edges and that usually works until i sweat and it poofs again. I guess we just have to wait when our hair is healthy, Im sure we will have figured something out
__________________
3b/3c
lovin my hair
CurlyCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Default

I'm 10 months post relaxer and I'm trying to figure out my hair type. Help! It's wet n has conditioner in this picDifferent Front To Back??-imageuploadedbycurltalk1373573007.654508.jpg
ToOutspoken_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToOutspoken_88 View Post
I'm 10 months post relaxer and I'm trying to figure out my hair type. Help! It's wet n has conditioner in this picAttachment 37205
Welcome! For typing hair needs to be washed and not manipulated as it dries, you look to have combed out your hair as well as being wet. Much more important than your curl pattern are your hair properties.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToOutspoken_88 View Post
I'm 10 months post relaxer and I'm trying to figure out my hair type. Help! It's wet n has conditioner in this picAttachment 37205
Welcome! For typing hair needs to be washed and not manipulated as it dries, you look to have combed out your hair as well as being wet. Much more important than your curl pattern are your hair properties.
Thanks. I'll post another one using your tips on my next wash day. I used a denman brush to detangle after removing box braids.
ToOutspoken_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com