Holiday Party Curls — Sponsored by KMS California
Party Tips from KMS Artists
Michael Crispel, KMS California artistic team member from Earth Salon in Toronto
- When upstyling the hair, stay away from conventional hair sprays. People with curls tend to overdose on hair spray, and it can make the hair look like a helmet. Try KMS DryXtreme, which holds the style but keeps it looking natural.
- Sometimes curly hair can look flat and dry. To make your curls shine for pictures, use a cocktail of CurlUp Control Creme and Silksheen Therapy Plus serum.
- To give curls a special look, diffuse the hair and take a curling iron in the same diameter as your natural curls. Use the curling iron in the areas around the hairline and underneath to define the curls more. It's a natural look with a little more finish and polish.
- When upstyling curly hair, use a wide-toothed comb. This allows you to detangle without breaking up the curl clusters.
- When doing an updo, do it when the hair is damp and either dry it under a hood dryer or air dry. This enables the hair to look crisp and defined rather than puffy, and the hair will look fabulous all night.
Michael Noragon, KMS California team member from B. Space Salon in Salt Lake City
- Dimensional color is a great way to give your hair a special look for the holidays. The color is strategically placed to emphasize an area of the face or the haircut.
- A good little trick is to hook three extra bobby pins onto your purse strap or in your purse liner. That way, if a curl gets out of control while your enjoying the festivities, you can pin it back into the style.
- A good frizz-fighting cocktail is KMS FlatOut Straightening Creme mixed with CurlUp Curl Control Creme. The straightening creme smooths the curls while the curl creme helps clump the curls, creating defined, frizz-free curls.
- If you're using a lot of styling products during the holidays, use a clarifying shampoo like KMS HeadRemedy Clarify Shampoo once every other week to get rid of buildup.
- With the cold winter weather and the indoor heating, hair can get dryer around the holidays - especially curly hair. Keep hair in good conditioner with KMS MoistRepair Overnight Mask. You can put it on before bed and your curls are moisturized when you wake up.
Anh Co Tran, KMS California artistic team member from Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills.
- To perk up your curls during the holidays, try subtly placed touches of dramatic color, like pastel pink or fire-engine red. Maybe do a few individual curls.
- For a different look, try blowing the hair out straight and putting in curls with a curling iron or flat iron. When using heat appliances, protect the curls with a product like Flat out Straightening Creme.
- Rather than wash the hair, which removes the natural oils, try a product like KMS HairPlay Makeover Spray, which helps freshen and prolong the style without washing it.
- For a romantic, sexy look, pin up random curls and leave some loose. Curly hair lends itself to this Victorian look.
- Keep a mini KMS FlatOut Anti-Humidity Seal in your evening bag to keep frizz at bay and add shine.