Submitted 06/05/2013 by kayleigh.lew (3a)
- 3 tbs extra virgin coconut oil
- 1.5 tbs honey
- Hair cap/plastic wrap
- A few drops essential oil (optional)
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- ***measurements can be easily altered for longer/shorter/thicker/thinner hair. I have low/med density, shoulder length hair***
Directions1. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Do not microwave if possible, as I have heard that the microwaves alter the bonds in coconut oil.
2. Once it is warm to touch (not too hot) pour it into a bowl, add the honey, and mix. You may have to work at it, as the two don't easily mix. Add the essential oil at this point if you wish. The mask does not smell bad if you don't add any fragrance!
3. Make sure the mix is still hot, and apply it to your wet hair from ends to roots.
4. Put a cap over your hair, and put a hot towel (I just microwave mine) over your hair to keep it warm for at least 45 minutes. I put my towel in the microwave ever 15 minutes or so, as I keep my house cold and the towel doesn't stay hot.
5. You can take it off after 45 minutes to an hour, but for dry hair/deep damage (such as mine) you can just take the towel off after an hour or so and go to bed with just the hair cap.
6. Rinse your hair. I used a small amount of mild shampoo for the first rinse, and my normal cleansing conditioner for the second. You can choose to do the first rinse at night and the second in the morning if you do the shorter mask, it won't hurt!
7. Dry hair with a cotton t-shirt or towel and style as usual.
OPTIONAL: I did my second mask (a week later) with 2 egg yolks to add some protein. It adds some strength to hair that needs it! If you add the eggs, I would not recommend sleeping on it and you should be careful to not add them to oil that is hotter than you can comfortably touch with your fingers--otherwise you'll end up with scrambled egg in your hair!
If you have too much leftover mask, you may put it in a sealed container or (if you did not add essential oil or egg) you can use it as a surprisingly delicious spread for toast!