Length retention is something that many naturals strive for. Your hair is always growing even if you think it’s not. Retaining length is all about how you care for your hair. Here are some length retention tips for natural hair that you can incorporate into your hair care regimen to help you.
- Dry your hair with a T-Shirt. Drying your hair with a towel can cause breakage. Using a T-shirt helps reduce the friction that towels may cause to your hair.
- Keep your hair moisturized. I know this is probably something that you hear all the time when it comes to your hair. Use the LOC or LCO method to help you keep your hair moisturized, pre-poo and also do hot oil treatments.
- Protect your hair while you sleep. Cotton pillowcases will rob your hair of moisture. It’s best to sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf or sleep on a satin pillowcase to protect your hair at night.
- Treat your scalp. Healthy hair growth starts with a healthy scalp. When you shampoo your hair make sure to massage your scalp and remove all the debris from your hair. Also when you massage your scalp it helps to stimulate hair growth.
- Trim your ends. Trimming your ends is very important in helping your hair grow and flourish. The only way to get rid of split ends is to remove them.
- Wear protective styles. The more you put your hair up and away and don’t manipulate it too much it will flourish! Tuck your ends away for a few and watch your hair retain length.
- Detangle with care. I know sometimes we want to rush through wash day but when you are detangling that is not an option. Take your time when you are detangling your hair. If you can detangle with your fingers, it will help to reduce breakage.
- Don’t wear tight ponytails. I am a ponytail girl but wearing your hair too tight while in ponytails can cause breakage. This goes for buns too. Make sure that when you create these types of styles that you keep the ponytail on the looser side.
- Be gentle with your ends. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair. Make sure you are treating them with proper care.
- Drink Water. Healthy hair starts from the inside out.
Be patient, your hair is growing even if you think it’s not.