If Aveda celebrity hair stylist Paco Camp could give one message to curlies, it would be to embrace their natural texture.“They can look beautiful whether their hair is straight, curly, wavy or whatever,” says Camp, who owns an
Aveda Concept Salon in Coral Gables. “Women tend to become fixated on whatever the media is portraying to be ‘in.’” Camp, a curly himself, encourages his clients to keep it simple. He likes clients to leave the salon with natural, touchable hair that’s easy to maintain and to recreate at home.“I want them to learn to love their hair’s natural texture and quirks,” says Camp, who has worked on such celebrities as Gloria Estefan, Hillary Clinton and Ivana Trump. He believes people put way too much product on their hair, making it look goopy and flat instead of beautiful and touchable.“Remember less is more, and distribution is key,” he says. Using the right products also is important.“The majority of people use products that cause a lot of build-up on the hair,” Camp says. “This keeps hair from receiving the full benefit of what they are using. It’s important to use natural, plant-derived products like Aveda so hair is ready to receive the full benefits.”
So what is the best way for curlies to battle frizz – the number one curly complaint? He encourages them to use the right products. Aveda Be Curly Curl Control is great to help eliminate frizz, he says. On really humid days, he mixes a little Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid with the Curl Control for extra control. What is the biggest curly no-no? “Once the hair is dry, women should absolutely not brush their hair,” Camp says. “It causes the hair to lose its shape and get frizzy. I recommend my clients give their hair a good brushing prior to taking a shower. Use an Aveda Paddle Brush with a little Aveda Beautifying Composition on your scalp, and start at the ends to untangle the hair and work the brush all over the scalp. It helps produce natural sebum, breaks down product, exfoliates the scalp and removes broken hair.” Camp believes people should find somebody who is experienced and comfortable working with curls. “Curly/wavy hair has its own little nuances and behaves very differently than straight hair,” he says.
When Camp was traveling with Estefan, who has naturally curly hair, he said her biggest issue was keeping it from looking frizzy. “She wanted her hair to look healthy and natural,” Camp says. “She was always very open to change. I remember styling her once for the American Music Awards when she was hosting. I did four hair changes for that show. It’s always great to work with someone who is willing to step outside the box and try something new." The sexiest thing is a woman who feels comfortable about the way she looks, Camp says. “I think that sexy is an attitude. Look at Sonia Braga. She was always able to pull off wild, curly, frizzy hair and come across as one of Latin America’s sexiest actresses. It really is an attitude. Women end up looking beautiful and sexy because they exude a confidence from within.”
Curl Like a Pro: Aveda's Top 10 Tips for Curly/Wavy Hair
- Start with the right shampoo and conditioner. Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner moisturize and reduce frizz to set you up for styling success.
- Always blot wet hair dry with a towel. Don't rub—rubbing creates more frizz.
- Try not to shampoo every day. The natural oils in your scalp are beneficial to the health of your hair.
- Refresh scalp and hair style between washings. If you decide to skip a shower one morning, simply spritz hair with Light Elements Reviving Mist, scrunching as you go to revive and refresh curls.
- Curly hair needs moisture. Use Be Curly Curl Enhancer when hair is damp and Be Curly Curl Control once hair is dry to keep curls moisturized, defined and frizz-free.
- Blow dry hair on low speed with high heat and use a diffuser. This gives you defined, frizz-free curls. For extra lift and volume, flip head upside down when blow drying.
- Avoid running fingers through hair as it dries. It causes curls to separate and become frizzy. For on-the-go touch-ups keep Be Curly Curl Control in your purse to redefine and de-frizz as needed throughout the day.
- Don't brush or comb curly hair when dry. It removes curl and causes frizz.
- Spritz curls with a firm hold hairspray. Pure Abundance Volumizing Hairspray prevents frizz in humid and/or windy conditions.
- Wrap hair in a silk scarf before bed. It helps prevent frizz while sleeping.