Gorgeous curls aren't the only reason we girlcrush on CurlyNikki. The woman has flawless skin.
Lucky for us she shared her skincare secrets for the rest of us to try. Now, excuse me while I go find a bucket of ice water to stick my face in...
Nikki's Skincare Regimen
Let's talk face. Particularly, serving that ish. My skin care routine has been the same for nearly 4 years now. My slacker nature works for me in this department because I've discovered that like accessories, for me, less is always more.
But before we proceed, in the spirit of full disclosure, note that on most days, I do indeed wake up like dis. I get it from my Momma. I have pretty decent genes. I've never had major acne issues but I do get the same damn enormous, cystic pimple in the middle of my chin, every month. #StruggleBump #HormonesAreFun #AndItLeavesAMark
I'm going to divide my routine up to make things easier. Hope it helps!
- After brushing my teeth in the morning, I rinse my face with ice cold water (no soap, #OoohSheRatchet)
- I blot dry before applying a generous amount of Cetaphil's Daily Facial Moisturizer
- Apply Clinique's Chubby stick to my lips (I love 'Richer Raisin', very natural)
- Live my life
- That night, after brushing my teeth, I again rinse my face with cold water (no soap, I never use soap on my face, so yeah. )
- I blot dry before applying Cetaphil's Moisturizing Cream (particularly under and around my eyes!)
These are things to do... like once a month. I rarely wear makeup!
- After brushing my teeth in the morning, I rinse my face with ice cold water
- I apply a little Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer
- I then apply either Clinique's CC Cream (it's like a lotion, with a tint and gives light coverage) OR Smashbox's BB Cream (very similar to Clinique's but less coverage and sometimes, a little oily... right now I'm liking Clinique's better. I use 'Deep', of course ;) )
- Eyeliner + mascara (you know I got something to do if I have on more than lip gloss. I usually use Smashbox brand or Clinique)
- Bold Lip (love this lipstain)
- Do awesome ish
- That night, if I don't hit the bed immediately (on account of the shenanigans), I use a circular pad to remove the makeup with coconut oil (organic, unrefined, cold pressed) and warm water. I employ the oil cleansing method to cleanse and moisturize. For those of you unfamiliar, check out this linkand this one too.
- I again rinse with ice cold water and moisturize with Cetaphil's Moisturizing Cream.
That's it! Very simple.
I only do the 'You Fancy, Huh?' reggie once a month or so. I rarely wear makeup and I think that helps keep my skin clear as well. I learned early that for me, using soap, even the fancy facial ones can lead to random breakouts and drier skin (my skin is on the dry side, exacerbated by my chronic mild to moderate dehydration because me no likey water...).
I think I read somewhere a long time ago that Lucille Ball used to stick her face in a bucket of ice water every day. Maybe that's why I started doing it! Keeps things smooth, your pores tight and the ability to serve face, another day.
I like Cetaphil because it gives moisture without the shining. I use the heavier moisturizing cream at night because in my mind, it'll keep the lines away! It's also not greasy.
The most awesome thing about my routine? I learned from my sister Syl that in a recent interview Pharrell shared that he also uses Cetaphil and cleanses with cold water! He hasn't aged since, well...
Oh, and for the rest of my body, when I'm not being ratchet (and only moisturizing areas that will be visible to the public), I use the Cetaphil's Moisturizing Cream.
I need to buy a vat of that stuff. I use it on Boog and Hubby too!
For more from Nikki, head to her blog CurlyNikki.com.