From Shaun White to Chaka Khan, there are so many great curlies to choose from (though never enough, right?) that we had a hard time whittling it down to just 10—5 curly guys and 5 curly gals. We chose these curlies based on varying factors: Are they natural (most of the time at least)? Do they represent curlies? Do they wear their curls proudly? Do we associate them with curly hair?
Here are our picks for Ten Iconic Curlies from old school to present day (and we mean old school). Ladies first, of course (but other than that, no particular order).
"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph." - Shirley Temple
Why: The Original Curly Headed Doll! Birth Name: Shirley Jane Temple Born: April 23, 1928, Santa Monica, CA Hair Type: 2c
What We Recommend for Hair Like This
- Serious cute alert. Take pictures for goodness sakes!
- Keep the curls lightweight and well defined with AG Hair Cosmetics Mousse Gel.
- Temple's mother did her hair for each movie; each hairstyle had exactly 56 curls.
- Temple's daughter, Lorax, is bassist for the grunge rock band The Melvins, whose music was a heavy influence on Nirvana.
- In 1972, Temple successfully overcame breast cancer.
- Actresses Shirley Jones and Shirley MacLaine were both named after her.
- Temple starred in more than forty major motion pictures.
In this video, Shirley Temple performs Animal Crackers in my Soup