1. SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Styling Gel ($11 at Target)This styling gel is one of latest on the market created specifically with ingredients that help high-density high porosity hair retain enough moisture. Two ingredients in this product that work great for high porosity hair are the Shea Butter and Mongongo oil. Shea butter is a moisturizing sealant that creates a thick coating on the hair strands to keep moisture in. Mongongo oil selected seals the cuticle of high porosity hair. It can be used on damp hair to achieve fully moisturized twist-outs.
2. Design Essentials Natural Honey Curlforming Custard ($16.99 in Curlmart)
With the warmer months right around the corner, humidity and humectants will be a good friend to naturals with high porosity hair. A major highlight of this product is the honey that is included. Honey is a natural humectant, which means it attracts moisture. This product, when used for a wash-n-go, will leave your curls full of moisture from the product itself and from the moisture of the environment.
3. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme ($24 in Curlmart)
The multiple butters in this product along with the many moisture rich ingredients makes this great for high porosity hair. The Coffee Bean Butter and Shea Butter soften the dry hair and creates a thick layer that traps the much-needed moisture in the hair strands. This moisture rich butter is great for twist outs and flat twists when used with a light liquid leave in conditioner.
4. Darcy's Botanicals Organic Coconut Butter Styling Pomade ($12 in Curlmart)
This product contains many light yet powerful ingredients that will maintain a complex style and also lock moisture into the hair strands. Two of the most important ingredients for high porosity hair are the coconut butter and the hint of beeswax that is included in this product. This product not only seals in moisture but is also good for creating perfect flexi rod set when used on damp hair.
5. Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Pudding Souffle ($9 in Curlmart)
It can be deceiving that this product might do much for high porosity hair because its ingredients are few but this product is about quality over quantity. The coconut oil and shea butter in this product infuse moisture into the strand, soften coarse hair, and seal moisture in with the thickness of the shea butter. This product works best with achieving twist-outs when applied to damp hair with a leave in conditioner for added moisture.
6. Alikay Naturals Moisture Rich Hair Parfait ($16 in Curlmart)
This products main ingredient is Shea Butter, which makes for a great sealant and emollient. One of the claims of this product is to seal in moisture, the main need for high porosity hair. The best twist outs, flexi rod sets, and braid outs can be achieved with this product when used on damp hair after a wash or when applied with the Alikay Natural Lemongrass Leave In Conditioner.
7. Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream ($6 at Target)
Many of the ingredients of this product benefit natural hair with moisture infusion and moisture retention. The canola oil is a great ingredient for sealing the hair strand enough to not create buildup. This product is great for braid outs and twist outs since its mimics the hold of a gel.
8. Creme of Nature Pudding Perfection ($9 at Sally Beauty Supply)
This product contains multiple oils and butters that create a creamy hydrating sealant for high porosity hair strands. The combination of avocado oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter allow for the hair to have lasting moisture past the initial styling day. This styling pudding works best for twist outs and coiling when applied to wet or damp hair.
9. Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme ($32 in Curlmart)
Not all naturals may be fans of non-natural or organic ingredients in their products; however, these ingredients such as mineral oil are beneficial for high porosity hair strands. The reason is that mineral oil is a benefit for high porosity hair is that it creates a thick non-penetrable coating on the hair strands. This product is great for twist and braid outs when the hair is wet so that ample amounts of moisture are locked into the hair strands.
10. Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Nourishing & Conditioning Styling Butter ($12)
This product has many ingredients that deeply nourish the strands for lasting moisture. The cocoa butter not only has great moisturizing qualities but is also thick enough in consistency to seal moisture into the hair strands. This product is great for twist outs, braid outs, and wash-and-gos. When you’re styling for a twist or braid out its best to style on damp hair after using any hair milk product for added moisture.
For naturals with high porosity hair strands there are many options to solve the problem of moisture retention. The key is looking for thick products with thick butter to lock moisture in.