Hemp seed oil is good for the body and hair in many ways but for those of us with naturally curly hair, it is especially great as a natural curl definer due to the fact that it styles, strengthens and conditions at the same time.
Pressed from the seeds of the sativa (cannabis) plant, hemp seed oil is known to be a natural remedy for brain function, heart problems, acne, psoriasis, moisturizing and an anti-inflammatory agent.
The word hemp in this oil may alert you into assuming the oil is made from cannabis.
They are classed as the same, but scientifically this oil does not contain the THC compound -- the psychoactive element present in cannabis which gives you a high -- so the oil is 100% legal and safe to use phew.
This oil also contains fats that support our cellular membranes which are the gates that allow substances, like oils, into and out of our cells. When used in our hair it helps to prevent moisture from leaving the cells, which is just what we need as curlies!
This makes it a great scalp oil as it penetrates and lubricates the cells without clogging them. When pressed into a liquid, hemp seed oil increases your hair's elasticity and volume making it a great curl definer thanks to its balanced concentrations of Vitamin E and omega fatty acids.
So, how do you introduce this magical oil into your hair regimen? Well along with using the products below, you can also create your own hair serum for shine and a sealant for your wash and go's.
Just mix with coconut oil, jojoba oil and a few drops of essential oils for fragrance. If you suffer from a dry scalp this will also be a great scalp oil for nighttime as it will penetrate the scalp from dryness without clogging your pores.
10 Curly Definers with Hemp Seed Oil
- SheaMoisture High Porosity Moisture-Seal Styling Gel provides hold, definition and elongation. With this one, a little goes a long way, so try not to apply too much as it will cause crunch in your curls.
2. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner provides great slip and is highly moisturizing, making it a great leave-in conditioner for those who need extra moisture to a wash-and-go.
3. Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Fortify & Soften Co-Wash is perfect for softening the hair which in hand reduces frizz leaving you with defined curls. Although this isn't meant to be a leave-in it is a great starter for creating defined curls that you can then go in with a moisturizer.
4. Nature's Gate Hemp & Argan Oil Nourishing Conditioner is a rinse out conditioner again that can also be used as a leave-in. A SHOPNaturallyCurly reviewer used this product as a leave-in while visiting the beach and claimed that it maintained moisture!
5. Dr. Bronners Lavender Organic Styling Cream softens, moisturizes and creates manageable curls thanks to the great certified organic ingredients!
6. Cantu Men's Cream Pomade one for the curly men, this product provides a strong hold for curls while leaving them feeling soft as well.
7. Taliah Waajid Lock It Up This is great for styling a defined twist-out, or if you have natural waves. It contains no alcohol so you won't see flakes, either.
8. Beessential All Natural Hair Conditioner is what you need to seal in moisture and create luscious, defined curls. How can you go wrong with hemp seed oil, aloe and avocado?
9. Marrakesh Curl Cream gives your curls flexible hold, shine, and a silky finish with this natural oil infused curl cream.
10. LUSH Jasmine & Henna Fluff-Eaze Hair Moisturizer is amazing for all hair types, but thanks to its amazing ingredients, it also gives curls the moisture, frizz control and definition they dream of.
Do you have a hemp seed oil favorite that we missed?
Let us know your experience below.