When traveling, a lengthy wash day just doesn't fit into my schedule. I've tailored a short list of products and practices that are equally effective as they are efficient.
If this action-packed summer taught me anything when it comes to my hairstyling routine, it was to pack lightly and as minimally as possible. When I am traveling and on the go, some things just don't fit into my schedule. That includes a lengthy wash day with a ton of products. Different styles and events call for a different set of preparations, so I will outline my go-to styling routine for a wash day on-the-go below.
1. Take down my multi-pineapples (or pigtails).
Only using my fingers, I fluff and separate to hide any unintentional parts and dents.
2. Cleanse my scalp with either a color-safe shampoo or a gentle cleanser.DevaCurl One Condition Decadence Zero Lather Ultra Moisturizing Milk Cleanser has the same light piney fragrance the original DevaCurl line has, which my senses enjoy. My scalp also love SheaMoisture African Water Mint & Ginger Detox & Refresh Hair & Scalp Gentle Shampoo, which uses activated charcoal and ginger to safely remove any impurities from product and environmental build-up. Although I use both interchangeably for the sake of effectively utilizing space in my carry-on, my clean curls give the conditioner a clean slate to penetrate and moisturize my scalp and hair for at least a few days.
3. Condition my curls with something milky and full of slip.An effective daily conditioner should revitalize stripped hair while it detangles and enhances curl definition. This is why my hair thrives off of DevaCurl One Condition Decadence Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner. It lets my fingers easily glide through each knot and tangle without ripping through. At the same time, the hydration can be felt long after I've rinsed my hair. Depending on the humidity level outside, I might swap my Decadence for OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner, which adds the strengthening benefit of egg white proteins to each strand.
4. Moisturize my hair with something thick and luscious.
I prefer to focus on applying product to one quadrant at a time. Since time is of the essence in this moment, I do not bother with clipping or banding my hair in sections. PhytoSpecific Shea Leave-In uses a waxy consistency to coat my hair without leaving a sticky film.
If the weather calls for a whipped, creamy sort of moisturizer, I pull out the CURLS Blueberry Bliss Twist-N-Shout Cream. With a focus on my ends and crown, I use my extra long Hair RePear T-Shirt Towel to ensure that each strand receives even distribution. That way, the softness can be felt the same throughout my entire head and no spot goes overlooked.
5. Seal my ends with a nourishing oil blend.Seal with SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Finishing Elixir. If there's a glass bowl in the Airbnb, go for a 15-minute hot oil treatment to deep condition. If not, no problem--I'll just seal my ends and massage my scalp gently to encourage blood flow. During this step, I use the time to fluff my hair some more to enhance the volume.
What does your on-the-go wash routine include?
Let us know in the comment section below. | Follow me on Instagram @DevriVelazquez
photo courtesy of @Stylefeen