Retaining moisture is important in a hair regimen, especially for curly hair. Curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair, requiring more efforts to retain moisture for our gorgeous curls. Some methods include deep conditioning sessions, scalp massages with an oil blend, and applying a leave-in conditioner before installing a protective style. While these practices are great habits to help maintain healthy hair, nourishing products are also a must have to help retain moisture for our hair. We are no strangers to oils, but this may be a contender to make its way to your regimen.
Benefits of pracaxi seed oil
Pracaxi seed oil, also known as Pentaclethra macroloba seed oil, comes from a pracaxi tree found in Brazil. According to Organics-Nature, this oil helps treatment of skin spots, depigmentation, severe acne, acne scars, while also hydrating the skin and promoting cellular renewal. Pracaxi oil has moisturizing properties that can be used in the hair to keep your hair moisturized and healthy.
How to use it
As always with oil, a little goes a long way. You can include this oil in your favorite oil blend or add it to your deep conditioner. While applying the oil in your hair, pay attention to the ends of your hair, since they are the oldest and need gentle care. Be gentle when massaging your scalp with the pads of your fingertips; do not use your nails, as this can be damaging. Creating a DIY hair cocktail is popular in the curly community, so you can also consider adding the oil to your favorite conditioner. Are you interested in this oil, but you rather use a product that already has it? Check out these hair products that contain pracaxi seed oil:
Products with pracaxi seed oil
- The Body Shop Rainforest Shine Shampoo
- The Body Shop Moisture Hair Butter
- Soultanicals Marula – Muru Moisture Guru
- Redken Frizz Dismiss Mask
Urban Health Goddess shares a pre-poo smoothie recipe that she uses after she takes her braids out. The recipe includes pracaxi oil and is a great recipe to help condition your hair after you remove your protective style.
Post-braid hair repair pre-poo smoothie
- 1 large Avocado
- 1 Tbsp. Pracaxi oil
- 1 Tbsp. Tamanu oil
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. Raw honey
- 2 Tsp. Silk amino acids
- 1/4 C. Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C. Water
- 9 drops Basil essential oil
- Add all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Use a rice strainer to remove the avocado lumps.
- On freshly rinsed hair (from the braid removal strengthening conditioner in part 1“>, part hair with fingers and generously apply the mixture from root to tip. Really focus on those ends!
- Once all of the mixture is applied, cover your hair with a plastic cap.
- Let set for 15-20 min.
- Rinse hair and air-dry or use a blow-dryer on a cool setting.
- Wait at least 24 hrs. until you manipulate your hair again.
Do you use pracaxi seed oil? Do you use it in your favorite product or have you made a super moisturizing oil blend? Share with the curly community.