Why do you need a protein treatment?Protein treatments can be used to maintain healthy hair and as a temporary filler to fill in cracks along the hair shaft. Hair breakage can be caused by combing, brushing, tight ponytails or braids, improper use of chemicals, nutrient deficiencies, waiting too long trim your hair, wearing heavy extensions, hair accessories, and pH imbalance.
Hair breakage occurs when there is a fracture along the hair shaft. This is not the same as hair shedding. Hair shedding occurs when you see long strands of hair falling from the scalp with a white hair bulb attached to the top of the hair strand. Although breakage tends to be shorter strands, hair can break from the roots.
What's causing your breakage?
It is important to know the cause of the hair breakage in order to make the best decision about treatments. Protein treatments no matter how strong cannot fix hair breakage caused by a nutrient deficiency. Iron deficiency can cause your hair to feel brittle, break off along the sides and nape of the head, and cause temporary hair loss. Your hair will look limp, lack shine, snap off when you run your fingers through your scalp, and you hair may look less dense. This is a separate issue and has to be addressed by your primary doctor.
Do you color or bleach your hair?
Hair breakage takes place anytime the cuticle is raised and the cortex is exposed. The cortex is responsible for the strength, elasticity, shape, and density of our hair. When the cortex is exposed, your hair will break off easily and look brittle. Hair that is over processed by permanent dye or bleach or damaged by heat tools may feel weak, excessively dry, clump up like spaghetti when wet, contain white specks along the hair shaft, snap when touched with your fingers, and break off at the area where artificial hair color and new growth/virgin hair meet, leaving short and long pieces of hair around the head. You may want to consider a haircut to get rid of as much damage as possible.
To best maintain your hair along your hair care journey, try these products.
Strong hair repair
If you dye or bleach your hair or use heat tools like straighteners, curling wands, or blow dryers regularly, we recommend a strong protein treatment.
- Nexxus Emergencee has protein, collagen and elastin to help repair damage and restore the hairs elasticity. Emergency is a liquid solution that has a sticky consistency. Before you apply Emergencee make sure your hair is detangled thoroughly.
- Joico K-PAK Reconstructor can be used twice a month. This product is infused with high amounts of Joico’s Quadramine Complex. Quadramine Complex is a protein ingredient, which repairs hair that is damaged by chemical or heat damage.
- Tigi Dumb Blond Reconstructor can be used on highlighted hair, bleach blond hair, or hair that is over processed. Use every 4 to 6 weeks alternating with a moisturizing or a lighter hair repair treatment.
- ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins, which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. For best results a hooded dryer is required.
Medium hair repair
If you experience breakage regularly, then you can benefit from a medium strength protein treatment.
- ORS Hair Mayonnaise has hydrolyzed collagen, soybeans, wheat germ oil that aid in strengthening damaged hair. Infused with olive oil for adding moisture while it strengthens and nettle oil can help prevent hair shedding. Use every 4 to 6 weeks.
- CHI Keratin Conditioner restores softness as shine with argan oil and jojoba oil. Keratin amino acids smooth and repair the hair strands. Use CHI Keratin Shampoo followed by CHI Keratin Conditioner. You can use this conditioner 1 to 2 times a month .
- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment helps fill in cracks in the hair shaft to give strength and prevent further breakage. Also great for general maintenance of the hair. Makes a great once-a-month protein treatment to help keep your hair in top shape.
- Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask is fortified with ultra‐hydrating avocado, sweet almond & argan oils, strengthening keratin protein, power-conditioning rosehip oil, soothing aloe, and super hair-essential vitamins B5, D, A, E. This unique complex of targeted ingredients helps increase hair elasticity and moisture to prevent breakage, promotes healthy shine and luster, and replenishes strength.
Lighter hair repair
If you do not dye, heat style, or experience much breakage then you should just focus on using light protein treatments to balance out your moisture.
- It’s a 10 Miracle Deep Conditioner Plus Keratin has keratin amino acids and hydrolyzed keratin which restore moisture to dry hair, and restores proteins to the hair shaft. Creates elasticity which helps prevent breakage. You can use It’s a Ten Miracle Deep Conditioner Plus Keratin twice a month.
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque restores strength and resilience to damaged, brittle or chemically processed hair with hydrolyzed vegetable protein and hydrolyzed keratin. It helps to promote growth by supporting hair's elasticity and reducing the appearance of breakage.
- Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Protein Conditioner GPB rehydrates and re-energizes your hair with milk protein and to strengthen hair fiber and restore softness and shine.