In the summer, our hair is exposed to so many stresses that in September we are usually left with a dry, knotted mess. Not a good way to remember your amazing summer vacation.
The major culprit for many of your summer woes is the sun. It dries out curly hair and fades your hair pigment. Chlorine from pool water damages our strands, as well. Being active in the water, sand, wind and general outdoor activities can also be to blame. Summer is the time where we live a bit more freely so we usually don’t pay as much attention to our hair care. The goal of summer hair repair is to replenish your moisture and nourishment, and repair any damage.
With your delicate curls in mind, I prepared a master plan that will bring back the WOW into your hair: DIY, drugstore buys, and high end options.
Do it yourself (budget friendly)This is for everyone who loves to get creative in the kitchen or may not have the extra cash to spring for costly hair products.
Repair Rx MaskMix 1 banana, 1/2 avocado, 3 tablespoons of honey, and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. This mask is awesome for giving your hair more nourishment and moisture.
Flax Seed FixWhile styling your hair, you can never go wrong with flax seed gel. Boil some seeds in some water--1 part seeds, 2 parts water. Reduce the amount of water if you want stronger hold and add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of honey. Add essential oils to perfume if you want. This mix is good for better curl clumping and definition, and it also delivers a lot of moisture.
Drugstore recovery (for the product junkies)
- SheaMoisture Manuka Hydration Intensive Masque: This mask is one of my favorite from shea moisture. It delivers a lot of moisture and softness to textured hair.
- Shower cap and warm bonnet: A hot oil deep treatment works best when it’s heated up. That way, the cuticles open up and let more product in. Keep it on for 30 minutes for maximum results.
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie: An amazing styler that also nourishes and moisturizes the hair! Is there anything better than heat styled and color-treated hair? If you find it too heavy, feel free to use milk instead.
Your (high end) product plan
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask: This mask is amazing. It has so many good ingredients and it really leaves the hair feeling different when you use it. I can’t stress enough how much I love it! If your hair is feeling dry, this is the product for you.
- Huetiful Steamer: Nothing screams moisture like the huetiful steamer. I always get amazing deep conditioning sessions when using the steamer! Just sit under it with your favorite mask in your hair and watch the magic happens.
- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In: If your hair is feeling sadly dry, using a leave-in under your styler can really change the outcome. Plus, a leave-in stays in contact with your hair longer, allowing it to be hydrated all day long.
- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker: This styler is all about definition, clumping and moisture. It is the best styler for dry, thirsty, and hard curls.
With these recovery plans, your hair will be back to health in no time. I suggest using a nourishing mask every time you wash your hair for two consecutive weeks. After that, maintain your results once a week with a deep conditioning treatment.