With warmer, carefree Summer days ahead, it is a great time to ditch the diffuser and multi-layered regimens for one that gets you out the door and into the office or onto the beach in less time. We are talking minimal effort, maximum impact (as in curls for days). I love and use Elucence products all year, but now is the time they really get to shine, as they provide moisture without weighing my curls down. Many of them are glycerin-free, too, which is helpful if you live in an extreme climate like I do. A lighter routine means no gel cast to scrunch your way out of, and you can refresh without a struggle. In the basic routine below, I’ve added a lot of details in case you need them, but really it is just a wash regimen with plenty of moisture. You can clarify and add a protein treatment once a month or more if you need to, but if you don’t, or your hair is protein sensitive, skip these.
Products Used and Their Descriptions
- Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo: For light cleansing, moisturizing, and a peach and apricot scent that fills your senses, this is the summer shampoo you need in your life.
- Elucence Clarifying Shampoo: For a deeper clean, like when you want to get rid of product buildup or sand and debris from a dip in the ocean, count on this shampoo to leave your hair clean and full of volume.
- Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner: This conditioner can be used as a leave-in, a co-wash, a daily replenishing conditioner, and a refresher spray (when mixed with water).
- Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir: Add strength to your strands with this protein-rich conditioner.
- Elucence Volume Designing Foam: For voluminous curls with roots that won’t fall flat, this foam is a great go-to.
- Microfiber Towel: Dry your roots in a snap and be on your way with the towel that’s head and shoulders above an old tee-shirt.
- A detangler comb: Remove knots and tangles quickly and easily without causing breakage.
- Curly Hair Solutions H20 Water Bottle: Saturate and perk up your curls without drenching them. This sprayer even sprays upside down.
- Thoroughly saturate your hair with warm water. Apply approximately a quarter-sized amount of Clarifying Shampoo to your roots and thoroughly massage your scalp. Working in sections and being cautious to avoid causing excess tangles, work the shampoo to the mid-shafts of your hair. If you have longer hair, you may want to do this step with your head flipped over. Rinse thoroughly, allowing the shampoo to reach your ends.
- Apply the Moisture Benefits Conditioner to your hair starting with the driest section first (for me, it is the back of my head). Start with a small amount of conditioner and gradually add more as needed (a little goes a long way). Work in the product from the mid-shafts to ends of your hair. Detangle your hair using your fingers and the detangling comb. Do not rinse out.
- Use the comb to part your hair as you would normally wear it (optional). Scrunch and/or shingle your hair to encourage curl formation.
- Using the microfiber towel, scrunch your roots to remove excess water, and then scrunch with your hands. This will keep your roots from drying flat.
- Allow your hair to air dry. When it is completely dry, flip your head over and scrunch out and fluff your roots.
- At the end of the day, if some of your curls have lost their shape, mix together 25% Moisture Balancing Conditioner and 75% water. Lightly mist any frizzy curls, and then reshape them. Allow your hair to fully dry before following your usual sleep routine (satin scarf, pineapple, etc.).
- The next morning, take down your hair and mist any frizzy, undefined areas with the conditioner and water mixture. Detangle any large knots with your fingers. If you are taking a shower, do so before the next step, as the steam will cause a bit of frizz.
- After your shower, if any curls have lost their shape, touch them up with a small amount of Volume Designing Foam.
- On subsequent days, repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 until your roots are greasy. At this point, a co-wash is needed.
To co-wash like a boss, massage some Moisture Benefits Conditioner into your dry scalp for 3-4 minutes using the pads of your fingers to break up and remove any dead skin cells, debris and oils. Rinse thoroughly, and then apply a small amount of the same conditioner to your ends and shingle and style as usual.
- Continue repeating steps 6,7, and 8 until you need to wash with shampoo, and then you can either start at step 1, or clarify and strengthen as follows.
Clarify and Strengthen (optional)
Thoroughly saturate your hair with warm water. Apply approximately a quarter-sized amount of Clarifying Shampoo to your roots and thoroughly massage your scalp. Working in sections and being cautious to avoid causing excess tangles, shampoo the mid-shafts and ends of your hair. If you have longer hair, you may want to do this step with your head flipped over. Rinse thoroughly, allowing the shampoo to reach your ends.
Rinse your hair, and then applying the Silk Hydrating Elixir to the lengths of your hair starting at an inch below the roots. Massage it into your ends, and then let it sit on your hair for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse completely.
Apply the Moisture Benefits Conditioner as outlined under Basic Routine, and then continue with the rest of the steps.
What is your favorite Summer routine? Let us know in the comments.