Just add some water, a little bit of sugar... and bam! You just created your very own hairspray.
Just add some water and a little bit of sugar... and bam! You just created your very own DIY holding spray.
Tired of using hairsprays that are full of drying chemicals? You can make your own natural spray for hold and definition without any of those chemicals that are harsh on your curls and waves. Ashley Renee gives us a great and easy to make recipe that uses simple natural ingredients! All you need is some water, sugar, and a soothing essential oil of your choice! This DIY spray is perfect for making your curls smell sensational as well as keep them in check for your special night.
You will need
- An empty misting spray bottle
- An essential oil of your choice
1. Boil about a ½ cup of water. As it boils, you can add up to 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar. Keep in mind that the amount of sugar you use determines how sticky and how strong your spray is going to be.
2. Stir your sugar into the boiling water until it dissolves.
3. Pour your sugar water into your spray bottle and place it in your refrigerator for about 20 minutes to cool.
4. Add about 5 to 8 drops of an essential oil of your choice after your sugar water is cooled off.
How to apply
Ashley recommends spraying in layers. The more you layer it, the stronger the hold will be.
Storing after use: Store your homemade spray in your fridge, but keep in mind it only lasts about a week. If you would like its life to be longer however, Ashley suggests adding about a tablespoon amount of either Isopropyl alcohol or Vodka. By adding either one, it can extend the life of your spray for about another week.