Whether you want that recent short haircut to become long curls again, or you are simply committed to growing your hair, believe it or not, you can boost your hair's growth at home without products.
There are endless DIY hair growth remedies out there but because you deserve the best, I've narrowed them down for you. Here are 5 hair growth remedies you need in your life.
A trusty remedy involves the usage of caffeine. If your mind automatically thought of coffee - you're wrong. Several teas contain caffeine that can be used as rinses to promote hair growth by increasing blood flow.
Green tea can be used to help you meet your hair growth goals. Simply fill a large container or mug with two bags of organic green tea, pour boiling water over the bags and let seep for 10-20 minutes. Once cooled, pour the tea over your head after your regular shampoo, condition, and detangling session. Do not rinse! Learn more on the benefits of tea for hair.
Black Seed Oil
A remedy you may not have heard of contains black seed oil, also called black cumin and fennel flower, among other names. The oil acts as an anti-inflammatory and can possibly help in regrowing thinning areas on your scalp.
Hair growth boosting tip:
Massage 1 part black seed oil with 2 parts olive oil into your bald patches to encourage hair growth. Rinse out afterward with a cleansing conditioner. Get the recipe for regrowing hair using black seed oil.
It's not just made for enhancing your pumpkin-spiced lattes and baked goods, but can be great for growing curly hair. Since cinnamon is great at exfoliating the scalp, it can get rid of product buildup, which can clear the airways for growth.
Ready to give it a go? Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 Teaspoons of cinnamon. Add Olive oil to desired consistency. Leave on hair for 15 minutes and shampoo as normal. More on benefits of cinnamon for hair.
Making fresh spaghetti sauce? Save some of those tomatoes for your hair.
Adding tomatoes to your hair regimen can add natural shine and help balance your strand's pH levels - all of the ingredients needed for healthy hair growth. Learn how to use tomatoes for your hair.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
A classic method for growing curly hair is by scalp massaging with Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO).
When using this magical oil, as some refer to it as, you'll want to apply small amounts to your hair and scalp daily and massage with your fingertips. You may also use it as a weekly hot oil treatment. Read more on other ways to use Jamaican black castor oil.
For the DIY challenged...
If DIY recipes don't pique your interest or if you're on a time crunch, there are plenty of products on the market aimed at growing healthy curls - the challenge is finding quality ingredients.
Here are five products you'll find in stores that help promote hair growth:
- Curls Blueberry Bliss Hair Growth Oil contains blueberries filled with antioxidants and Vitamins A, B5, C, and E. Shop at SHOPNaturallyCurly, Target, and Walmart.
- SheaMoisture Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque is infused with ingredients like Shea butter and Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Shop at SHOPNaturallyCurly, Target, Walgreens, Kroger, Walmart and CVS.
- Honey Baby Naturals Honey Shea Butter Hair Smoothie has a main ingredient of honey, known as a natural humectant for moisturizing hair with a blend of Shea butter and biotin. Shop at SHOPNaturallyCurly, Target and Meijer.
- Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Flaxseed Recipes Purify Me Moisturizing Co-Wash Cleanser is made with flaxseed, an excellent source of Omega fatty acids known for preventing shedding and promoting healthy hair growth. Shop at SHOPNaturallyCurly, Family Dollar, Walmart and Kroger.
- Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave In Conditioner is created with lemongrass, known for strengthening hair follicles. Shop at SHOPNaturallyCurly and Target.
Do you have a DIY hair recipe to share?
Let us know in the comments!