Try a honey hair treatment for a subtle and natural way to lighten your curls.
I’m sure that many of you never knew that this method even existed, but the truth is that honey does work as a natural hair lightener according to the forums on LongHairCommunity.
Many people are used to using natural honey on their hair by adding it to their conditioner and shampoo on a daily or weekly basis to condition and moisturize hair in a natural way. The reality is that a honey hair treatment is a subtle, natural lightening process for your curls.
How Does Honey Hair Coloring Work?
This method works due to the natural hydrogen peroxide that is found in honey. We all know the affect that hydrogen peroxide has on hair. The iron that is also found in the honey oxidizes the oxygen free radicals that are released by the hydrogen peroxide.
The amount of lightening that you can achieve through using this method greatly depends on how well your hair absorbs the honey, or how porous it is.
Honey Hair Conditioner Recipe
Honey Hair Lightening Tips
- Add a bit of peroxide for a more dramatic honey hair effect.
- Add ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil for a boost to the natural honey hair color.
- If you have product or oil in your hair, wash it before applying the mixture.
- This method requires zero additional heat. Do not apply heat to your hair with the honey in it.
- Pour 1/3 cup of honey into a bowl.
- Scoop a 1/4 cup of your favorite conditioner and put it in the bowl with the honey.
- Combine the mixture until you have the perfect combination and consistency.
- Apply the mixture to damp hair and cover with the shower cap. After this mixture has been sitting on your hair and scalp for 8 hours, you can take the shower cap off and wash the mixture out with water.
Honey Hair Lightening Method
- Mix honey and distilled water together. Use a 4 to 1 ratio of honey to water to make the mixture work properly.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp and let sit under a shower cap for one hour under no additional heat.
- Completely rinse the mixture out of your hair and shampoo, condition and style as usual.
The overall outcome of this process will have your hair looking and feeling silky, shiny, and healthy. It will also have your hair looking a little bit lighter in a natural, non-dramatic manner.
This method takes time, and if you are using the honey for only lightening purposes, you may have to leave the treatment on longer, or do it multiple times to get your desired outcome.
For more information about honey lightening methods, visit the forums on LongHairCommunity.
The honey hair lightening treatment definitely works. If you are looking to try out a natural way to lighten your locks so that you can have lighter hair, look no further than your kitchen cabinets!