Enhance your curl definition with these clumping techniques and products.
No matter what your hair length or curl pattern, “clumping” can be used to enhance definition and tighten curls. This process combines products as well as scrunching and drying techniques to create frizz-free ringlets. In the video below, Celdrea demonstrates how she defines her curl pattern. Celdrea’s routine can easily be tailored to suite other curl types as well. Here’s how:
- After washing and conditioning as usual, begin the styling process by working a serum through your hair. Try not to rake your hands through your hair too much because this can cause frizz to form. Choose a creamy serum that will moisturize and add shine and smooth it in. If your hair is similar to Celdrea’s (Type 3), she suggests using Tigi Bed Head Glaze Haze. Type 2 hair would benefit from a lighter serum, such as DevaCurl Mirror Curls, while Type 4 hair can handle extra moisture from a product like CURLS Champagne & Caviar Curl Elixir.
- Add a small amount of leave-in conditioner to hydrate and add weight to the hair. Pull the product through hair and scrunch so that the curls begin to stick together to form a pattern. Celdrea recommends Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in. Type 2 hair tends to be more fine and can gain enough texture from a light spray, such as Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Leave-in Conditioner. Those with more coily hair can kick the moisture up a notch with the popular product Kinky-Curly Knot Today.
- The final product added to the hair will enhance the curl pattern and increase definition. Celdrea uses Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter. Type 2 hair can obtain true ringlets with Jessicurl Rockin’ Ringlets Styling Potion, while those with the tightest curl patterns can also get defined and moisturized twist or braid outs from a product such as Darcy’s Botanicals Avocado & Honey Twisting Cream. These spiral elixirs can be used to calm frizz and create shiny, well-defined curls.
- Celdrea suggests twisting front pieces away from the face in order to tighten smaller layers and to help the hair dry without frizz. Dab off any extra product or water with a microfiber towel.
- This clumping technique is great for those who like to do wash and gos, but using a diffuser can speed up the drying process. If you are looking for looser, more separated curls, lightly shake hair with your fingers. For enhanced definition, “plop” hair into a microfiber towel and then sleep with it high on your head.
Celdrea’s clumping method is a great way to show off your curls!
Celdrea's Clumping Tutorial for Naturally Curly Hair
How to define your curls
Products in this Video
- Tigi Bed Head Glaze Haze
- Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in
- Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter
See more Videos
Get more tips and tricks for your curls, coils and waves on NaturallyCurly’s YouTube channel.